Question about poop...lovely

jadeladine

Ok im hoping you guys can give me some good news. My 13 month female veiled named Ali had a prolapse last weekend. I took her to the vet the same day and she had stitches to keep it in. Vet gave her 2 shots of antibiotics and took the stiches out Thursday just gone. Ali has not had a poo since the prolapse was put back in.

She is eating fine though, i just gave her 4 meal worms this morning and straight away she ate them up, but no poop. She seems happy as usual, active and her normal green colour, but no poop!

Surely if she was constipated she would show me some signs of being unhappy. Nomally she poops every day. The worrying never ends.

Any advice?

Thansk for updating Jade, I was thinking of her and you the other day and hadn't heard anything but didn't like to ask.

Mealworms are a bit hard to digest - I would only give her the odd one or two newly moulted white ones if any at all. Can you get her some silkworms? They are mroe juicy for her! Is there any way you can offer her water using a pipette or similar and just drip lukewrarm water onto the tip of her mouth to encourage drinking?

After that many days of not pooping don't be surprised if her urates contain a larger portion of orange in them. She will have absorbed more water with it being in her body for longer. You could also try putting her out int he sun - this would almost always guarantee a poop from Lily. Maybe an extra long warm mist might also have the desired effect!

Cheers hun, what you like worrying about me and Ali when you have Tommy to look after. Your a star!

Reading that i think i may have fed her a few too many meal worms then. Last week i ran out of crickets and cant order any til weekend, so i have fed her mealworms for the last 5 days, which is 3 feedings. Thats probably why! DOH!

Ok so ill try get some water down her, i have a shringe that they drink from comfortable. Dont think outside is a good idea cos its throwing it down and so cold! I cant get silkworms im afraid, but i was planning on buying some roaches to try them on. Any better?

xx

Silkies are better than roaches, moisture-wise. I have roaches and I hate them! I find them more smelly than crix, lol, plus they really creep me out! Amy loves them though but Tommy won't even take a second look! The things we do for the love of the chams, eh?!

We've had a really nice warm sunny few days down here - I took Tommy outside on Saturday to try and make him feel a bit better. Natural sunlight works wonders. Even if it's just a cage by a sunny window - I used to put Lily in her outdoor cage in the porch when it was too cold for outside. The sun must provide a different kind of warmth than the heat lamps I think!

See Ali will eat anything i give her, except locusts, she's never liked locusts. Im having a real hard time with Oz at the mo with food. First he ate everything, then he went off crickets, then locusts, now meal worms. Ive always given them a variety, but he's not having any of it now. So im looking at silkworms, phoenix worms and roaches. Also Nutri grub??

Gotta get him eating again so yeah, anything for out chams!

Antibiotics can sometimes cause a bit of constipation. So can too many mealworms.

Placing the chameleon in a shallow bowl of warm water sometimes encourages a poop.

Increasing water intake is never a bad thing. Providing extra drinking water, using juicy prey like silkworms and hornworms, feeding prey fruits, injecting water right into the bodies roaches and crickets with a needle.

injecting water right into the bodies roaches and crickets with a needle.

Thats a fantastic idea! I have some lovely silkworms and she ate 3 without any problems. Injecting a bit of water couldn't hurt either.

She drank water from my shringe last night too and she gave me a little poo, but only a 3rd the size of her normal poo's. But he bum is still on the inside, so thats good!

Glad she's doing ok and she likes her silkies! I've ordered some more for my little green monsters too!! :D I am now injecting Tommy's meds into locust and it worked so far - I tried for the first time this morning and it was easy! I got needles and syringes from the vets.

The things we do for love! Its Oz that is causing me worry now! She did love them. I dont lol. They smell and are soggy lol. Was very glad to hear about Tommy, brave boy x

They smell? They shouldn't! They shouldn't be soggy either! Were you feeding them the chow by any chance? That reeks, lol!:D

The chow came free with them so thats probably what stinks. They poo alot too in their little box. Do you turn them into moths? Ill have to try that, they look tasty. Obviously for the chams and not me lol x

I transfer mine into an empty cricket tub (washed out first) and wedge a piece of plastic canvas across it to create a false floor for the poop to fall through. Silkworms need to be kept clean - they don't like sitting in their own poop, lol! They take as much looking after as teh chams, if not more! Mine started to spin on their own. I just separated the cocoons form the tub into a different clean tub and left them raised on cardboard on top of Amy's viv. The moths emerged in a week. Chams love them - mine both had one this morning for the first time. I figured that I need to think differently and cost effectively, lol! It would be a waste if I didn't feed them off now they've inished laying, lol!

So you make moths, then get the moths to breed, then rear the eggs into worms?? And feed off the occasional moth after laying? Sounds like hard work x

I am going to give it a try! I had 5 moths in the end - the last time I only had one. They have mated and laid eggs, so I just have to wait now!:D

my cham got impacted because of super worms and mealworms too, i now only feed meal worms once the pupe have changed into darkling beetles, and only then so when they are pure white from just completing there metamorphosis... that said id never ever feed mealworms or supers again, im getting some silkies this week :), and i love the idea of injecting the water into the feeders thats a great way to hydrate my baby thanks for the advice :D

Jadeladine, my panther seems to like pooing whenever he comes out on my hand. Always seem to be his stinky-est ones too.
First time it happened he hadn't done one for a few days, he came onto my hand for a silkworm, climbed about a little then left me his little present.
His way of paying me back for all the love we give him??

Back
Top Bottom