question about caging

kelzi

I was always told that chameleons shouldn't get direct sunlight through glass, meaning don't put their cage right infront of a window. I understand the reasoning with the whole amount of UV light and all with having bulbs and then the actual sun. The reason I bring this up is because I am moving soon and I don't want to put my chameleon somewhere harmful but also want him to be out in the open because he's always had alot of movement around his cage (dogs, cats and people always walking by) but am afraid of the sunlight issue. Right now his cage is a 2'X2'X4' cage with chicken wire everywhere. Right now he's not in direct sunlight. In the winter I put a few plexiglass pieces on it to keep the cold draft out. Other than that there's alot of air flow and has two UV bulbs on opposite sides.
Just looking for some suggestions...

I was always told that chameleons shouldn't get direct sunlight through glass, meaning don't put their cage right infront of a window. I understand the reasoning with the whole amount of UV light and all with having bulbs and then the actual sun. The reason I bring this up is because I am moving soon and I don't want to put my chameleon somewhere harmful but also want him to be out in the open because he's always had alot of movement around his cage (dogs, cats and people always walking by) but am afraid of the sunlight issue. Right now his cage is a 2'X2'X4' cage with chicken wire everywhere. Right now he's not in direct sunlight. In the winter I put a few plexiglass pieces on it to keep the cold draft out. Other than that there's alot of air flow and has two UV bulbs on opposite sides.
Just looking for some suggestions...

I put my chameleon in front of a window and he's fine.
as far as UVB goes, i always use 5.0 reptisun and low wattage bulb, so the temperature never goes higher than 90.
I will buy AC later on during summer since CA summer is getting crazier each year.

i think you confused glass enclosures with windows.

If you use all screen aluminum cage, the heat from the sun can disperse out.
but a glass enclosure is equal to a green house.
the heat is trapped within the enclosure, thus, raising the temp to a fatal degree.

Plus, when the sun is shining directly on my chameleon cage, i open the window because UVB cannot pass through glass.

UV light cant pass into glass. That is the only reason their is an issue.
Having your chameleon next to a window will not supply them with the UVB light they need. Natural sunlight is the best thing for your chameleon. If you could get him outside during 10-2 o'clock that would be great for him.

Back
Top Bottom