Quarantine of New Arrivals...

SoCaliSon

Avid Member
I know several of you, like myself, keep more than one cham and are hooked to the point where you most likely will have another new one some time soon. I keep Chams, Snakes, and Beardies, and I have to be very anal about how, when, and where I handle my animals, Not to mention the order in which I work with them. I guess they are all on sort of a Permanent QT, As I always, gutload each chams feeders in seperate washed containers, and they are all fed from their own feeding tray, I wash before after and between handling each one, and they each have there own set of plants...no sharing of anything. I know a lot of hobbyists/breeders, especially in Snakes, who have a very deatiled Quarantine procedure that takes place when they recieve a new animal lasting anywhere from 3 months to a year! I would be curious to hear about anyones QT procedure that takes place when a new cham is recieved. I don't hear to much talk about this in the Cham world. And a question to wrap this up... Are there any contagious forms of Chameleon Illness that can be transmitted through the air? I was just thinking about this and was curious what everyone elses thoughts/practices were. I would imagine that large breeding facilites would have a pretty nice QT routine for there WC's.

For the QT of chameleons I get(alot of WC montanes and other WC). I have a large basement with 4 rooms 3 large one small, 1 large has 80-100 cham cages,1 large has around 30 cages(for montanes)the other large has and around 150 frog tanks. 3 small rooms is keep for feeders.

Then in the attic is where my qt goes down. I have 12 cages set up. All seprated thorugh the room.(hardley are they all ever full, Sometims I just order new cages instead of cleaning) All with fake plants.(easy to clean, but I have to use a humidifer)I have 3 vents to let the heat out. But the reason I do it this way is because if you set the cages right next to each other parasites will travle. Usually they are up thier for around 6-8weeks.(unless gravid then it could be a year) Once they pass two fecels and if they seem healty as can be. I move them to the basement. I do not handle any of them unless I have to. I also do not use any soap or anything like that. Just boling R/O water. and dunk all of the parts of the cages in a 40 gal drumb.(this part sucks it takes forever to get that much water to boil even with a toarch.

This method is by no means perfect. Just things that my dad and I have done.
I really dont even know if this was what you were asking I just started rambling.
But either way like it or not that is my method.

Back
Top Bottom