quad enclosure advise plz

eppcheck

So, I'm in the process of planning a customized enclosure for a quad. From my research it appears they need their humidity very high and low temperatures 70-85. My main concern is keeping the correct amount of humidity seeing as some of the sources I've read recommend up to 90%. source and another.

First off, is this true? Other sources like this place just warn not to allow humidity to drop below 50%. To anyone who owns a quad how do you keep such high humidity levels constant?

My plan is to have an enclosure with 3 sides glass/Plexiglas and the front door screened as well as the top. Also, putting a mistking on a more frequent misting cycle. I could also use a humidifier if necessary but wanted to hear from current keepers on how they maintain the high humidity range. Keep in mind I'm in Oregon and humidity is generally very low especially during the winter months.

So how do you quad owners do it?

We have several T. quadricornis that are all housed in the same system. They are in all screen cages, misted 3 times per day at 5-10 mins each time. Outside of that, we don't do anything special maintain higher levels of RH. The average in the room ranges from 50's in the winter to 70's during a few weeks in the summer. Temperature ranges should be kept closer to 75-78. They can handle higher temps, but only for short periods, and I don't mean days. It should cool down a bit at night. It generally gets down to the high 60's with the AC and we let it get down to the 50's on the cooler evenings when we open the windows.

Be careful. Too much humidity is just as bad as to little, albeit in different ways. A humidifier is an option that has been successfully employed by quite a few hobbyists. If you face chronically low RH (<40-50%), a humidifier would certainly be appreciated. With a cage such as the one you describe, you should be able to maintain RH without much trouble.

Why not setting up the environment and note the different temp and RH readings at different times of the day. Just before and just after misting would be good times to note these readings. This will give you a good idea of how your setup performs and allow you the time to make adjustments without the pressure of a complaining chameleon in our face. ;)

Luis

Thanks for the Info. I'm going to have everything tested out before a cham is actually kept in it, but wanted to have plan that way I don't have unplanned expenses or unneeded items. I'm thinking 3 side glass and screen front and top will be perfect for keeping humidity.

Is it true from the sources I've posted that they need up to 90% humidity and dropping below 50% is dangerous? I could imagine the humidity reaching that high immediately after misting but it would drop pretty fast as well. I'm probably just going to get a quality humidifier rigged somewhere near the top to the enclosure allowing a fine mist to disperse down the plants.

Temperatures and ventilation won't be a problem it's just that from what I've read humidity seems very important to this species and it is one of the hardest things to maintain consistent with chameleon type enclosures. At least where I live anyways

Maybe I'm worrying about it to much.

RH is important, especially in dryer areas like Oregon. I wouldn't recommend the humidifier be on 24/7 in a cage with only a screen door and top. Also, slight drops in Humidity aren't that bad either. You don't want to keep the environment constantly wet. It does need to dry out occasionally. :)

Luis

I keep my quads in full screen cages and mist them 2-3 times a day, during nice weather they go outside and mist them outside as well. Don't know the exact % of RH but they are doing well so.

Oregon is dry? Yup, East of the mountains

I live in foggy San Francisco, and I still use a humidifier, more or less continuously, to keep humidity levels near 70%. On warm days I hand mist many times per day, but the relative humidity will drop to less than 50%, and this is with the piped jets of humidifier fog going all the time, three to each cage. The dripper is going all day long too.

Other keepers in dry climates may have more relevant experience for your situation. Maybe an open cage is not the way to go.

If one of my quads ever got a high as 85 I would pass out, I think my quads would also from just the surprise. As Luevelvet can tell you, I was anal when I got my first quad. Several people received frequent calls with me frantic I had done something wrong.

I kept my quad in a all screen cage, and I am one of the nuts who ran a humidifer almost 24/7. I finally gave in & turned it off part of the day :), I did still run it every night & usually still do.:eek::eek: I try to keep my average temp at 70 to 72 and never over 76. I keep humidity at least 60% and 80 or 85 doesn't bother me. Now after I tell you all this, if I were doing it, I would follow Luis (Luevelvet) has he has had quads longer and knows a lot more.

I also plant the cage really heavily so they can hide when they chose to do so & in the beginning they do chose to. I go for a bowl effect so the outside of the cage has lots of foliage but they have an area in the center to bask and not be seen.

Post some pictures and we will all be happy to offer opinions.:D

If one of my quads ever got a high as 85 I would pass out, I think my quads would also from just the surprise. As Luevelvet can tell you, I was anal when I got my first quad. Several people received frequent calls with me frantic I had done something wrong.

I kept my quad in a all screen cage, and I am one of the nuts who ran a humidifer almost 24/7. I finally gave in & turned it off part of the day :), I did still run it every night & usually still do.:eek::eek: I try to keep my average temp at 70 to 72 and never over 76. I keep humidity at least 60% and 80 or 85 doesn't bother me. Now after I tell you all this, if I were doing it, I would follow Luis (Luevelvet) has he has had quads longer and knows a lot more.

I also plant the cage really heavily so they can hide when they chose to do so & in the beginning they do chose to. I go for a bowl effect so the outside of the cage has lots of foliage but they have an area in the center to bask and not be seen.

Post some pictures and we will all be happy to offer opinions.:D

Haven't started the construction yet. I'm just getting the supplies. I'll start the basic frame and add the glass sides. From their I'll post pictures for more advise. In addition to the mistking I'm also planning on having a fogger like this one on a timer if I have trouble keeping humidity.

Hey quad keepers - what you can you tell us about their personalities? Always thought they looked like the coolest species but anytime I read about detailed humidity requirements it scares me off a little. I know that no two chams are the same - but what is their overall personality? Always wonder how far you can stray from "optimum conditions"? Not meant to be a cruel or ignorant comment - but if you kept a quad in the correct temp range but could only manage to average 60% humidity, is there a lot of experience out there that says that these guys won't make it in those conditions? Just asking!!!

I have kept dozens of Quads at less than 60% Humidity with no problems.Quads do not, in my experience need a high Humidity of 90%, nor do any of the common Montane species.

Quads seem to me to be a shy species, more prone to hiding behind the branch, and dropping to the ground when the hand approaches.

I think they are the most beautiful species when in their emerald green resting colors, like the Fisheri, but with the sails and horns are more intersting, and replicate a dinosaur better than any other species.:D

Nick

I think Quads are also easier than other montane species, some species drop dead easy when you don't fog them enough or keep temperatures too high, while quads can actually bare some changes. I don't know my exact humidity but I hand mist them at least twice a day and I use a 40 W reflector spot. (reminds me I have to check my temps again with this hot weather here)

They have lots and lots of plants and places too hide, I noticed they really need that. They are quite shy, I always need to search for them :)
My female always tries to jump when I catch her to get her outside, but my male doesn't try to jump.

Thanks for the replies - very interesting to hear about your personal experiences. General care information is always good but it is always more educational to hear the "true life" stories. It's the best part of being a member of the forum.

they do have personalities

Hey quad keepers - what you can you tell us about their personalities? Always thought they looked like the coolest species but anytime I read about detailed humidity requirements it scares me off a little. I know that no two chams are the same - but what is their overall personality? ... Just asking!!!

I currently have four and have kept and observed about 10 others for long periods. I do find them a bit shy, but not every one is. I find them gentle and sociable, for the most part. Its interesting to watch their interactions. Many keepers maintain their quads in groups. Some will develop a certain degree of curiosity. They can be tamed and will feed from the hand. While they like to have a place to retire in dense foliage, they are active and roam about each day. I try to make at least one hiding place for each animal. They really like the fog and the drippers and sometimes sit right in the jet of fog with water drips hitting their bodies.

They adore flies and moths and butterflies. Their eyes get "wide" when you have a choice food item.

They have no problem going upside-down or on vertical vines. If they think you have bad intentions, they will "shadow" the opposite side of a vine or branch. No matter how many times you tell them "I can see you" they will persist in this foolishness.

I currently have a female who is quite forward. She will try to steal food from any other quad. For quite a while I separated her. She is very bold about coming to me to eat. I know this is not unusual for panthers of veileds, but she is a bit of an anomaly in quads. When they were together, I had learned to feed her until she is stuffed and then feed the others. I actually had to put my hand between her and the others so she could not chase their food. I'm not sure if its wise, but I do hope she has offspring, because I like her, and I will keep all of them. If anyone has an exceptional, bold, four-horned male maybe you would consider a breeding loan?

I have never had CB quads. I would really like to hear about their differences. Perhaps they are more trusting.

T. quadricornis are not for everybody, but they are good for guys like me. They have a variety of colors and forms. They have some charming behaviors and habits. I find them able to take some adversity, but happy when you give them cloud forest conditions. Wild-Caught individuals will have some problems. They will have been mis-handled. They will have some parasites; it may not be worthwhile to treat these, it may be. They are not long-lived. But they may get into your heart.

Back
Top Bottom