Publication request

Zach Valois

I am looking for the following articles. Thought I would ask around here before I pull out the 'bigger search guns'..

Gehrmann, W.H. and G.W. Ferguson. 2005. Replacing fluorescent lamps. Bull. Chicago Herp. Soc. 40:85-86.

G.W. Ferguson, W. H. Gehrmann, K.B. Karsten, A.J. Landwer, E.N. Carman, T.C. Chen, M.F. Holick. 2005. Ultraviolet exposure and vitamin D synthesis in a sun-dwelling and a shade-dwelling species of Anolis: are there adaptations for lower UVB and dietary vitamin D3 availablility in the shade? Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 78:193-200.

Ferguson, G. W., W.H. Gehrmann, T.C. Chen, M.F. Holick. 2005. Vitamin D-content of the eggs of the panther chameleon Furcifer pardalis : its relationship to UVB exposure/vitamin D-condition of the mother, incubation and hatching success. Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery 15:4-8

Ferguson, G.,W.Gehrmann, B. Peavy, C.Painter, R.Hartdegen, T.Chen, M.Holick, J.Pinder 2007.Restoring Vitamin D in Monitor Lizards: are dietary and UVB sources equivalent? Biawak 1:92-94.

Lindgren,J, W.H.Gehrmann, G.W.Ferguson, and J.E.Pinder 2008. Measuring effective vitamin D3-producing ultraviolet B radiation Using Solartech's Solarmeter 6.4 Handheld, UVB Radiometer. Bulletin of the Chicago Herpetological Society 43:57-62.

Karsten, K.B., G.W. Ferguson, T.C. Chen, M.F. Holick. 2009. Panther chameleons, Furcifer pardalis, behaviorally regulate optimal exposure to UV depending on dietary vitamin D3 status. Physiological and Biochemical Zoology 82:218-225.

Ferguson, G.W., William H. Gehrmann, Brent Peavy, Cathy Painter, Ruston Hartdegen, Tai C. Chen, Michael F. Holick, John E. Pinder III, 2009. Restoring Vitamin D in Monitor Lizards: Exploring the Efficacy of Dietary and UVB Sources Journal of Herpetological Medicine and Surgery19: 81-88.

Ferguson, G.W.,A.M. Brinker, W. H. Gehrmann, S. E. Bucklin, F. M. Baines, S. J. Mackin. 2010. Voluntary Exposure of Some Western-Hemisphere Snake and Lizard Species to Ultraviolet-B (UVB) Radiation in the field: How Much UVB Should a Lizard or Snake Receive in Captivity? Zoo Biology 29:317–334.

Ferguson did some amazing work.... I am amazed how many herptoculturists are unaware of his papers. Ferguson appears to have been quantifying some important and cloudy subjects. I am currently trying to contact Dr. Ferguson himself, and I would be interested to hear his motives throughout his career, especially in regards to UVB and Vit D.

What an amazing guy. Hell of a track record, how are we going about this industry without a freaking photo of him diligently hung on our lab and herp room walls?! Lol

thought that was good?.... check out this paper that is still in press...

Ferguson, G. W., W.H. Gehrmann, T.C. Chen, M.F. Holick. Vitamin D-content of the eggs of the panther chameleon Furcifer pardalis : its relationship to UVB exposure/vitamin D-condition of the mother, incubation and hatching success. J. Herp Medicine and Surgery (in Press).

Some of us new young up-and-coming academics (especially in the herp field) are not amounting to much compared to diligent souls like this! No offense to anyone on here!! :)

Furthermore, aside from some papers pertaining to sensitive species that list localities (with concern to over-collecting), it seems that such publications should be databased online and widely dispersed throughout the herptocultist community.

Hmm.. perhaps that should be a new project for me..

While that would be great for herpers, it's not something you could do legally. Online databases with these publications do exist already, but you have to pay for access because you have abide by copyright laws for the articles. They're not just free sadly.

That thought crossed my mind while I was typing that. Not to mention the fact of just how much work that would be. However, even a bibliography would be awesome.

Michael Jacobi compiled and published this fantastic website for arachnoculturists and researchers.. http://exoticfauna.com/tarantulabibliography/index.html

Wow, how great would it be if we had a categorized place like this for herps? It would dwarf the size and needs compared to the above linked mygalomorph page (a family of some 900 species..).. but, hey...I can wish right?

Yeah.. if I bought a very small fraction of the papers JSTOR alone had that I wanted... I would be a very broke man..

For those who don't want to spend a lot of money, but would like to read more: Maybe you got a university or state library nearby. Those often have access to lots of publications and you can get copys or online access for little money. I got lots of papers this way, e.g. most of those mentioned above.

Back
Top Bottom