Pro tips

Jono

Hi all, here are some tips and suggestions that I wanted to share which I've picked up or developed that I feel really help in keeping my guys in top condition but are not commonly known.

Increasing chameleon activity: Chameleons are cautious by nature, even when they feel safe and comfortable in their surroundings. We all know their comical 'leaf walk' used to mimic leaves disturbed by wind. So if the leaves around them are actually being disturbed you will find that they will move around a lot more. A simple swiveling fan setup during the day can do this nicely (although I understand this can be difficult in enclosures that struggle to keep temperatures and humidity at optimal levels). The bottom line is an active chameleon is normally a much healthier chameleon and adding a bit of foliage movement can really help in this aspect. If you have a cham that spends 90% of its day hiding in the back of its enclosure, add some foliage movement and see the difference. A side effect is it will help dry out the enclosure after each misting which helps eliminate bacteria and mold growth.

The dropper: Get yourself a medicinal dropper from your local drug store (the little glass tube with a rubber squeezer on the one side) and get your chameleons drinking from them as young as possible. The earlier you can start this the faster they will take to it. I managed to get all 8 neonates in my latest clutch drinking from one within 8 days of birth without much effort while it took my 2 year old veiled much longer to get used to the idea. Any chameleon that drinks from a dropper can be given exact amounts of food, supplements or medicine without any stress and obviously will have no problems with hydration. I have kept a very small runt alive solely by mashing up a cricket everyday with two drops of water and then feeding him from the dropper. He finally ate his first solid meal (fruitflies) at around 2months.

Feeder insects die exponentially: Its unavoidable that some of your feeders will die and like all creatures they will start to decompose once they do. The longer these decomposing bodies are left the more chance there is that they will cause other feeders to die. This can quickly snowball until you are left with a box of dead or dying feeder insects. Feeding sick insects to a chameleon is a fast way to make it sick. Be dedicated and keep your feeders enclosures clean and remove any dead ones ASAP! Its easier to remove one or two dead crickets everyday than 10 or 12 every 4 days.

Cod liver oil : A tiny amount once a month. Full of so many naturally occurring trace elements that are great for your cham. If you are not convinced try it once and look at what it does for their skin, especially chams that spend a lot of time basking. Incredible source of retinol!

The sucker: I've made a simple device that saves me hours each week when dealing with smaller feeders. Get a jar size container (see through plastic works best) with an air tight lid, some mesh, 4 feet of tubing and a hot glue gun. Cut the tubing in half so you have two lengths and then cut holes for them in the lid (NOT the container). Glue them in so they stick a couple inches into the container. Then glue the mesh onto the end of 1 of the tubes to act as a filter, I had to fold my mesh a few times to make it effective. Done! You now have a simple bug vacuum. Put the lid on and suck on the end of the filtered tube and use the other tube to suck up bugs. Pop off the lid and tubes and you have a jar of bugs that you can easily pour into your feeding dish or release into the enclosure. It really helps with catching stray bugs or collecting bugs in the wild as well as easily selecting the right size bugs from a whole mass. As you eliminate having to touch them, the more squeamish (like my girlfriend) will now be able to sort out feeding times when you cant. I've included a pic.

Anyway hope these help some of you! Please add your own little tips and tricks if you have, I would be keen to hear them.

Attachments

• Bug_Sucker.jpg
    Bug_Sucker.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 206
What a great thread :D

Thank you!

The 'sucker' thing is called a Pooter, i think thats the correct spelling, we had to make them at school :D

I've been using ''the sucker'' for years now, and its a much easier way to handle those annoying pinheads or any insects for that matter. Great thread though.:)Going to try out the cod liver oil.

Hi all, here are some tips and suggestions that I wanted to share which I've picked up or developed that I feel really help in keeping my guys in top condition but are not commonly known.

Increasing chameleon activity: Chameleons are cautious by nature, even when they feel safe and comfortable in their surroundings. We all know their comical 'leaf walk' used to mimic leaves disturbed by wind. So if the leaves around them are actually being disturbed you will find that they will move around a lot more. A simple swiveling fan setup during the day can do this nicely (although I understand this can be difficult in enclosures that struggle to keep temperatures and humidity at optimal levels). The bottom line is an active chameleon is normally a much healthier chameleon and adding a bit of foliage movement can really help in this aspect. If you have a cham that spends 90% of its day hiding in the back of its enclosure, add some foliage movement and see the difference. A side effect is it will help dry out the enclosure after each misting which helps eliminate bacteria and mold growth.

The dropper: Get yourself a medicinal dropper from your local drug store (the little glass tube with a rubber squeezer on the one side) and get your chameleons drinking from them as young as possible. The earlier you can start this the faster they will take to it. I managed to get all 8 neonates in my latest clutch drinking from one within 8 days of birth without much effort while it took my 2 year old veiled much longer to get used to the idea. Any chameleon that drinks from a dropper can be given exact amounts of food, supplements or medicine without any stress and obviously will have no problems with hydration. I have kept a very small runt alive solely by mashing up a cricket everyday with two drops of water and then feeding him from the dropper. He finally ate his first solid meal (fruitflies) at around 2months.

Feeder insects die exponentially: Its unavoidable that some of your feeders will die and like all creatures they will start to decompose once they do. The longer these decomposing bodies are left the more chance there is that they will cause other feeders to die. This can quickly snowball until you are left with a box of dead or dying feeder insects. Feeding sick insects to a chameleon is a fast way to make it sick. Be dedicated and keep your feeders enclosures clean and remove any dead ones ASAP! Its easier to remove one or two dead crickets everyday than 10 or 12 every 4 days.

Cod liver oil : A tiny amount once a month. Full of so many naturally occurring trace elements that are great for your cham. If you are not convinced try it once and look at what it does for their skin, especially chams that spend a lot of time basking. Incredible source of retinol!

The sucker: I've made a simple device that saves me hours each week when dealing with smaller feeders. Get a jar size container (see through plastic works best) with an air tight lid, some mesh, 4 feet of tubing and a hot glue gun. Cut the tubing in half so you have two lengths and then cut holes for them in the lid (NOT the container). Glue them in so they stick a couple inches into the container. Then glue the mesh onto the end of 1 of the tubes to act as a filter, I had to fold my mesh a few times to make it effective. Done! You now have a simple bug vacuum. Put the lid on and suck on the end of the filtered tube and use the other tube to suck up bugs. Pop off the lid and tubes and you have a jar of bugs that you can easily pour into your feeding dish or release into the enclosure. It really helps with catching stray bugs or collecting bugs in the wild as well as easily selecting the right size bugs from a whole mass. As you eliminate having to touch them, the more squeamish (like my girlfriend) will now be able to sort out feeding times when you cant. I've included a pic.

Anyway hope these help some of you! Please add your own little tips and tricks if you have, I would be keen to hear them.
Great thread! Do you put the cod liver oil on the skin or the food?

I am not sure that I am going to agree with the top two. Constantly rustling leaves in an enclosure is a good source of stress. Want your chameleons to move? DON'T use a feeder cup. The water dropper method is very un-natural, (and potentially dangerous)and what if a cham becomes dependent on this method of hydration? I certainly would not want 40 chameleons that I had to walk around dripping water into their mouths 2-3 times daily! As for the oil-I am not a fan of giving chams things they don't necesarily need.

You want to be careful what you ask for. At one point I decided to hand mist several chameleons until I saw them drink. Now 5 of my chameleons will not drink unless I stand there and spray a 42 oz bottle of water on them. It can easily take me 10 minutes for each of the five! Also on the rare times I am gone my husband is NOT a fan for having to spray part of my chams. He designed drippers( 6 hours at least) and misters ( 3 times a day 9 minutes each), just so I did not have to do all that by hand. The five I have addicted will not accept water any other way.:(

Im not entirely in agreeance with these ideas, because:

I have active chameleons without a fan.
I have long-lived healthy chameleons without giving them an unnatural oil (there is a great risk in too much retinol btw - something mine dont get)
The dropper idea is interesting, but I wouldnt want to risk having my chameleons get "stucK" on that method of drinking. Id rather have them used to the drippers, and inject meds (which should be a rare requirement) into roaches etc.
I cant imagine why Id want a bug vacuume.

I do agree with cleaning your bug bins frequently, including the removal of the dead

I think the bug vac is a great idea. We all have times where we need someone to feed our animals. Some people have a hard time touching bugs. So that would make feeding much easier when im not there. I'm scared to try the cod liver oil thing though. I will mention it to my vet though. He is also a reptile breeder and breeds chams.

Good info! I'll have to try the oil!

The first time I used a dropper, Kamish got it right away, but ever since then he won't touch it :(

Interesting OP and comments afterwards- I've enjoyed reading. Thank you for posting.

The dropper idea seems pretty popular with germans (who were having success with chameleons before most of the world)- I'm pretty sure every one of the few books and care sheets I own which have german authors use this idea. It's not an altogether bad idea. If you have a chameleon or two- it's not so bad watering with a dropper (which is faster, by the way than spraying like some here are talking about). If you have a large collection, it's too time consuming most likely. It also doesn't do anything for raising ambient humidity. It would help for the original reasons mentioned in some circumstances, and it would also help prevent shyness which IMO is not healthy. A chameleon that hides at the back of the cage when the keeper approaches surely lives with more stress than one that comes to front to be watered when the keeper approaches. I use hand feeding sometimes for the same reason. And once the animal is conditioned, it isn't necessary each time- a conditioned chameleon can be hand fed once a week or one or two bugs of it's daily allotment and fed the rest not by hand and still will come looking for a handout when the keeper approaches. I imagine dropper watering would be no different. For many of us here with several animals or more- neither is practical.

I do doubt that "addicted to spray" chameleons will refuse to drink until they die. I trouble shoot spoiled bearded dragons and iguanas for people all the time who claim their lizard won't eat vegetables or only waxworms or whatever and it's no problem at all- just don't give the lizard a choice and in my experience, it will change it's behavior every time when it gets hungry and thirsty enough- which can take some time (weeks) for a lizard.

I'm obviously not talking about extremely stressed (like recently imported) and sick lizards (who aren't behaving normally to begin with) or having water delivered in a form that is alien to the lizard (like a water dish for a chameleon)- but a long term captive or one especially that was captive bred. I have taken a number of picky lizards in over the years, and I don't have time to cater to their addictions. I have also helped other people with lizards they have spoiled. I haven't met a lizard yet that won't give in rather than starve or thirst to death. But I have met a number of owners who swear up and down that their animals won't change- and continue to give the animal its addiction...

I don't think a fan would "stress" a chameleon if it is set on low and placed some distance away from the cage any more than nature stresses them by blowing their plants around. Someone I know who breeds a few chameleons alongside other herps uses ceiling fans in their herp building all the time to keep the air moving and healthy and temperatures stable throughout two rooms of herps. Never caused a problem for any of the animals in that collection after a couple of decades of use.

I guess my animals already have leaves and stuff moving around about 5 months out of the year because they are kept outside all summer. I doubt the summer breeze stresses them either...

I think it might not be the greatest idea in a home with gas heat and dry winter air...

Paradoxically- I'm not a believer in the magical powers of unlimited ventilation from using screen enclosures so go figure...

My son uses a pooter to collect tiny wild insects for his dart frogs during the summer sometimes- helps keep our garden pest free and his frogs fat and happy. Personally I like to keep cardboard toilet paper tubes in with pinheads and tiny roaches and just pick the tube up and tap it a few times to shake the insects into a cup...

Interesting discussion for sure!

A cham who is familiar with the dropper watering technique is a blessing. I agree that someone with a lot of chams just won't be able to do this, but the keeper with one or two can really benefit. Maybe a more realistic approach is to teach the cham that water can appear in one of several ways...as rain, as a slow drip on a leaf over several hours, and as a gentle drip stream right on the nose when the big weird looking non-predator is standing right there. My melleri and verrucosus in particular learned this quite easily. Once they did, I found I could make sure they were well hydrated from day to day and I was even able to sneak a medication into the water. In fact, the melleri got so they didn't drink much at all on some days even though it was offered. I still sprayed the foliage several times a day. I don't think any of them was so focused on dropper dripping that they refused all other methods. Fussing around trying to adjust drippers frustrates me so I haven't used them in years.

Most of my chams are active because I don't cup feed them, use very large cages, and some are free ranged. I like the movable larger plastic storage box hung in tree branches that requires more tongue stretching, eye/tongue coordination, and climbing from place to place.

I can't agree with everything... but I can say that if it works for you... OK... fine... but I don't liek drippers... I don't like the fan... I kinda moved on after that.. sorry.

but the fan isn't a good idea. chams move when they want. if they hide.. there must be a reason and you should figure out what it is. my chams move when they like. each has it's own routine. I think misting and water drippers that flow down plants and leaves are the better route.

but it is a good idea to get ideas out there for people to try out. doesn't make it rule... but gets people thinking.

not to rain on the parade but-

i agree with sandrachameleon and sommoner 12 . i dont really see a need for a bug vacum and i would be wary of its methodology, i would be hesitant to vacum bugs using my own lung power , i realise there is no chance of contact with the bugs, but crickets and other feeders are not the cleanest things. even with a screen on the inhaling tube, you are still inhaling air that has vigorously been pulled over the bugs in question (within a confined space no less), this opens up the possibilty of inhaling mites or worse yet. some sort of parasite,bacteria, or virus) that would not as likely be inhaled/transmitted by other methods of handling. (of course i am really no one to talk , i inadvertantly injected myself with a syringe used for injecting crickets) as for cod liver oil, both retinol and retinal are both very complex (and debatable) subjects as they relate to the manufacture and utilization of proformed vitamin A by chameleons and not understanding the mechanics of such and with no knowledge of how to calculate appropriate dosage, like all sources of vitamin A, i would be extremely cautious of its use. and given the fact that there does not seem to be large following or proven track record for the technique, i would personally avoid it all together. of course one can present the argument of how well their cham(s)are doing, but vitamin A (as well as other oversupplementation issues) often take years to manifest themselves, and often lead to organ damage that can be impossible to reverse. the sadest part of this is that these symptoms are often not displayed until the final years of life when the cham is likely to have a harder time dealing with it and so is the keeper. there are few things harder (cham wise) than losing a cham that you have had for several years (and become severely attatched to) wondering if maybe it might have a couple more if not for better husbandry practices.(something of which i have learned the hard way, and am also guilty) so i stick mainly to what has a proven track record of working and leave the experimentation to others. just my 2c worth

No matter how comfortable a cham is taking water from a dropper, a couple of days of dropping Baytril into their mouths will convince them to denounce any cooperation and will even run scared at the site of the dropper. Flagyl tastes better and is generally received less dramatically.

I can't agree more about keeping feeders and their enclosure as clean as possible. It doesn't take much to spot clean the feeder bin on a daily basis to remove any excess debris.

Also, living in Florida has given us the advantage of employing stray Anole's in the herp room to catch any rogue feeders. With that said, they do get the boot if they're easily trapped. :)

Luis

I am not sure that I am going to agree with the top two. Constantly rustling leaves in an enclosure is a good source of stress. Want your chameleons to move? DON'T use a feeder cup. The water dropper method is very un-natural, (and potentially dangerous)and what if a cham becomes dependent on this method of hydration? I certainly would not want 40 chameleons that I had to walk around dripping water into their mouths 2-3 times daily! As for the oil-I am not a fan of giving chams things they don't necesarily need.

Mimicking leaves moving in the wind is part of their camoflage. They feel more secure when the wind is blowing, that's why they move around more.
I still get a chuckle when I see my 600 gram male parsons swaying in the breeze.

Mimicking leaves moving in the wind is part of their camoflage. They feel more secure when the wind is blowing, that's why they move around more.
I still get a chuckle when I see my 600 gram male parsons swaying in the breeze.

As someone above stated, when kept outside they are getting natural breeze-I guess I just had thoughts of someone power-fanning a small cage! :) But I stick with the fact that I would not create this for my indoor cages on purpose just to encourage chams to move.

Obviously these are not going to be for everyone but they work perfectly in my particular circumstances and that is why I wanted to share. Always amused as those who cry heresy when someone suggests something outside of their own particular routine.

My bug vacuum has made a 5min job a 1min job as I can select 3 different sizes of crickets from the same container and without squashing any. It is the most efficient way I have found to work with small bugs.

I personally don't use a fan at all as my chams live outside but it is from observing them there, in their natural environment, that led me to that conclusion: on windy days they will move around a lot more than days when it is still because they feel more secure. Moving foliage is the whole reason they do the leaf walk

All my chams will still drink off the leaves when I give them an occasional spray or set a dripper but again my dropper has made a 20min job into a 3 min one. I used to get hand cramps spraying but now I can leave the house on time knowing for certain that all my little ones are well hydrated. Giving them drops is one of my favourite times of day.

I will choose naturally occurring supplements over ones made in a factory any day and that is why I use the oil. Over supplementing is not a problem as I can give them exact amount with the dropper.

Back
Top Bottom