Power outage

YigosFlower

I live in the midwest & recently due to weather our power has gone out a handful of times, got me to thinking.... I read a thread dating back to 2007 & wondered if there have been any 'advances' in what to do in case of an outage? Im going to assume no because there is only so much that can be done without power, but thought i'd ask.:p

My home does have two gas fire places & it does keep the house pretty warm, however im thinking about keeping my chameleon in my bedroom upstairs. Generally it does get cold in there regardless if the fire place is on, but we also have a space heater going given we have power. I would have to move his cage downstairs closer to the fire place, but being that they are gas i dont know if that would be a threat? My house is very open, so the rooms dont get THAT warm without the heat going too, he'd have to go in a pretty close range to the fire place to keep relatively warm. If its a short few hours we are without will providing heat be good enough or will the lights be a big issue? (granted i have a big picture window in my front living room by one of the fire places.)

What happens if my power is out for many hours, days, or weeks? What do i do about light & extra warmth? I believe we have a gas generator that could always come in handy, but i'd have to run some hella extension cords!:D

My mother in laws house generally will have power if ours doesnt because shes enough into the city, but would taking him & his cage to her place be a bad idea in the event? (for a longer term outage?) Rather than using a generator?

Second question,
How do you emergency travel with your cham? Im not ever going to take him out 'joy riding,' but in the event i need to get him somewhere that has power or the vet how do i go about that swiftly in the winter months?

hi i live in wales in the hills lol an it frezzin up here to i just moved my cham next to the heater an they are fine my electric gone out a few times an wen it has gone really cold in there i used those heat pads you put on your back to warm it up it worked ace just make sure your cham dont get it he/she shouldn't also i moved about 3wks ago an i put my cham in a cardboardbox with a few plants an got in the car and turned the heater on an got someone to hold them near it they were fine hopefully nice weather soon i FREZZIN lol

get a generator. i star for almost all hurricanes, and we have two 15 kW generators that came with our house, but you dont need something that huge to power some lights.

worst case buy a kerosene heater for the room the cham is in, as for lighting i wouldnt worry to much unless its days, then id figure something out with a car battery for the UV.... heat pads sounds good for heat source like the others said, not super cheap but not expensive, and workable by anyone.... id only sudjest a generator if your power goes out fequently, and mainly for long periods of time....

i have a back up coal/wood burning stove just for those times when power goes out :D saved my herps a many of times

So the gas fireplace shouldnt be an issue in the event i would need to move his cage to a warmer part of the house?

Thanks everyone!

Back
Top Bottom