Possible eye problem

Rosco

I have a 6 month old panther male. I use a linear 5.0 reptisun bulb and the basking temps are at 93 with ambient at 78. I have an aquazamp that runs from 7 am - 7pm, every two hours for one minute. The relative humidity is at 55% on average with higher peaks during the misting. My problem is my Cham has had a swollen/puffy eye. When chams get water in their eyes it puffs up, then they release the water and back to normal. Well what's happening is he will get this puffy eye, but idk if water is getting in it, and when it swells up large, it's HUGE, I mean scary big to where I think the eye is going to burst. When it's enlarged I looked at the opening where the bugle was red and pushing into the opening to where I could see only half of the eye. My Cham is so kind and friendly and has never once gaped at me and has puffed up only once since I've had him in my care for circa 4 months. When his eye was swollen he actually puffed up and gaped at me. He turned his face away from me and I could tell he was being aggressive to scare me possibly due to being sick. His eye is back to normal now, which this pattern has been going on for the 3rd day today. I will upload some pics in a few minutes of immediately after the bulge went away(I ran to get my phone but the bulge receeded). I'm wondering if it is nothing(praying for that) maybe it's a minor infection that over the counter drops can cure. Thank you to everyone he will read this. Comments are appreciated.

Here are the pictures. you can see there is some kind of fluid or something in the eye. the skin around it is saggy and a little puffy. his eye is back to normal now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 325
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 297
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 338
This looks exactly like what was happening to my veiled a few weeks ago. I took him to the vet and by the time I got there the swelling was down. The vet did not find any signs of infection, poor health, or parasites (I had a fecal test done).

I got some good advice from forum members at the time. I removed a new pothos I had added shortly before because of one member's suspicion that he could be allergic to it. I added almonds and paprika to my gutload. The problem went away on its own rapidly and I've seen no reoccurrence.

Have you changed anything about the cage recently? It would be impossible for me to say for sure if my cham was suffering from an allergy since I'm not about to go stick the pothos back in there and see if the swelling returns.

I would take him to a vet who has experience with chameleons. Maybe there is nothing to worry about, but it is better to know for sure.

No I have not added anything to my chams cage or diet. I think he may have got something in it. I'm hoping that is the case and not something more serious like an infection. Where could I buy saline, are you guys referring to the common name of eye drops. I mean can I drip eye drops in my chams eyes that are meant for mine?

I see this thread is a little stale, ( and I hope you found your answer to this eye problem ) but I'm having the same problem from time to time. I feel I should be more concerned but her eyes do tend to get better relatively quickly.

so, here's what happens.

I'll mist my female jackson's and she tends to look at the water as I spray so it gets in her eyes.

When I was first starting out I had no clue as to how to properly "mist" until further research, it had gotten so bad that my jackson's eye was about to BURST! And she would, as the original poster had mentioned, move her eyes to and fro trying to get the water out until they turned bright red. Luckily, the swelling would reduce, the bulging would stop and she would drink her water.

Chameleons have very unique eyes so they can look at any given direction without synchronization, we all know that. So, avoiding one of their most awesome aspects when we mist is key. Don't squirt the eyes!!!:p

Back
Top Bottom