possible eating problem.

elesdee

I got my chameleon maybe a month or so ago from a local pet store, I don't know his exact age but he's maybe 3-4 inches from nose to where his tail starts so I'm guessing a few months old or so. Anyway, he hasn't been eating nearly as much as it seems that he should be based on what I've been reading here and other places.

I have crickets set in bottom of his cage that run around throughout the day and sometimes he'll go right for them and other times he ignores them for quite a while, a while being a day maybe two. I keep count to see if he's eaten any or not. I bought some silk worms and he ate those for a couple days then became disinterested in those as well. I also put a butterworm or two in his cage as well but that doesn't seem to be the most effective way to show case them since they don't move too much.

Initially I hadn't realized that mealworms weren't the most ideal food for them but they're really the only thing that he seems to go for lately. If I dangle one of them in front of him he goes right for it. I feed him one or two just so I know that he's eating something at least. But I really want him to get onto the crickets. Could that just be conditioning still from the pet store?

He's a nice healthy green color though and he's active during the day. He shows no signs of being sick or anything like that, at least none that I recognize. He drinks pretty regularly, I have a drip setup and mist a few times a day.

Any ideas on why he doesn't seem to be eating as much as he should?

kinyonga

Chameleon Enthusiast
What are the temperatures in the cage?
What species of chameleon is it?
Can you post a picture please?

elesdee

70-80 degrees during the day. It's a veiled. And I don't currently have a camera atm so can't really do pictures.

Top Bottom