Position of basking lamp

Trinacham

Is it ok to have the basking light at the side of the cage? That's how mine is.. I know most people put it on the top of the enclosure. He is used to it being like that so I don't know how he'd react if I changed it. It doesn't fit on the top. Is it alright to have the basking lamp on the side?

I think its ok, but you will he see him changing from side to side a lot, at least I did. If one side gets hot, he will turn around and bake the other.

If it all possible, I would move the light(s) to the top of the cage. The main reason being it is a more natural way for the chameleon to regulate its heat.

You want to mimic nature as much as possible, and most chams bask earlier in the day when the sun is somewhat high in the sky but still coming down at an angle. You will notice that a 45 degree angle is probably the best setup for basking lights. Your cham should have a nice horizontal perch to which it can sit on and angle his flat side towards the 45 degree angle of the light.

I do know that some hard core people have setup 3 basking spot lamps at 3 different angles, and they have them setup on timers to really mimic the sunrise, midday, and sunset angle of the rays. I think thats overdoing it and unnecessary. But hey, whatever works...

Nate

now i might be crazy but i thought i read somewhere on another forum that you have that 3 kind of light setup for your parsons in their like 8 foot tall cage or something.(smiley face) i dont think that is crazy at all and wish i could get that kind of setup going. it would be more natural and better for them i think. only the best for the best.

but i have mine on the side due to lack of room at the top (not enough height). i have it attached to two hook screws in my ceiling that i have two rows of. so if it is warmer then i want it i just move it about an inch back and it changes temp about 5 degrees.

Back
Top Bottom