Poorly Diagnosed RI?

Psi

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 16x16x30 ExoTerra Mesh
* Lighting - 5.0 Reptiglow linear Tubes
* Temperature - Basking 88, Rest ~80. Overnight low currently 67-70. Measured with digital thermometer/humidity device
* Humidity - Generally 50-65, this is my hardest issue currently. Planning to get a mistking setup from Marty at Ontario breeders show.
* Plants - Yes, I think it's a ficus. It has been with the Cham it's life time but may not safe, switching in Pothos after trade occurs (read later)
* Placement - Closet in computer room (generally higher temp)
* Location - Ontario

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - Nosy Be Male, Approx 4.5-5 months old. I've had this Cham a week.
* Handling - Once to put him in the cage, once to take him out for trade.
* Feeding - Crickets, 8-10 per day. Gutload Carrots/Sweet Potatoes.
* Supplements - Daily Calcium w/o D3. Twice monthly of D3 Once monthly of Herptitive/Reptivite.
* Watering - Misting 3-4 times daily, 1 minute complete soak, wait a few, then another minute of complete soak. I have not seen this male drinking(after posting this and turning my head I've now seen him drink ... go figure).
* Fecal Description - Normal fecal solid brown, white urate. No Parasite tests (was CB I was told)
* History - None :(
* Current Problem - The current situation:

I picked up this Cham off a Kijiji (similar to craigs list) as it was advertised as a Female Nosy Be (due to it not having spurs). After arriving and realizing it was a male, I still went through with the purchase as the price was still right and he looked healthy from my untrained eye.

After a bunch of work, I worked out a trade for this Male for a Female through a local Reptile store.

Upon bringing my Male into the store, they instantly diagnosed that it had a respiratory infection and they couldn't go through with the trade.
The reasoning behind this was that the Cham had yellow on the inside of his mouth and was having trouble closing his month (I agree, generally chams have issues closing their mouths when they're being pried open :rolleyes: ).

I am now looking for some opinions as to if you believe anything is wrong with this cham from these pictures. I'm aware pictures can't provide definitive clean bill of health but I believe your opinions via pictures will be more accurate then the 30 second inspection at the store.

I believe that taking it to the vet would have been a viable option had the diagnostic at the Reptile store been accurate.

*** There is information I am leaving out of this post (ie: information as to why I believe the diagnostic was inaccurate), but I am doing so on purpose to get an unbiased opinion on the current situation ***

I wish to thank the people I have spoken with regarding this. This post is simply to get more eyes on the problem to avoid issues with anyone that deals with this reptile store.

Also thanks to anyone that states their thoughts :)

Attachments

• questionable1.JPG
    questionable1.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 101
  • questionable2.JPG
    questionable2.JPG
    48.1 KB · Views: 163
  • questionmouth1.JPG
    questionmouth1.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 96
  • questionmouth2.JPG
    questionmouth2.JPG
    35.5 KB · Views: 90
I don't see any bubbles, mucous, or any symptoms pertaining to any sort of respiratory issue. To be completely honest I would be willing to bet that the people at the store dont know what the hell they are doing, and have clearly not seen many panthers. Ive seen the insides of their mouth a few colors from orange, to yellow, to a pea green color even. God forbid you showed them a mellers, they'd really think something is wrong. :rolleyes:. He looks to be a nice looking nosy. I would also suggest you do not get a female of a different locale from a male you already have.

Thanks for the post Nico.

I've been told the same from a few people as well, that the yellow is just part of his blood line.

The Nosy Be female I'm going to be hopefully getting (as well as the male I still have) are both from different breeders in strong bloodlines.

Seems to be fine I had a few chams with a clear/white mouth and some with yellow mouths. No need to stress it! Good looking boy, you for sure want to get a nosey female and not a mix. You havent gotten a fecal test so if you want to be sure that he is parisite free you can ahead and do that, otherwise I think your on the right track

"(due to it not having spurs)"
LOL wow that is really funny.

-Clemonde

Sadly I've had a lot of experience with RI. He looks very healthy. If you hold him do you ever hear any 'popping' when he breaths? Otherwise, their diagnosis is very suspect.

I had a pet shop once tell me our big Veil had MBD. I had brought him back after many years to show them what a big boy he grew into. Their reasoning? "Look at those deformed budging legs!"

He was always free range. Others call it "muscle mass". Don't take medical advice from a pet shop unless they have a proven history of knowing what they're talking about.

Sadly I've had a lot of experience with RI. He looks very healthy. If you hold him do you ever hear any 'popping' when he breaths? Otherwise, their diagnosis is very suspect.

I had a pet shop once tell me our big Veil had MBD. I had brought him back after many years to show them what a big boy he grew into. Their reasoning? "Look at those deformed budging legs!"

He was always free range. Others call it "muscle mass". Don't take medical advice from a pet shop unless they have a proven history of knowing what they're talking about.[/QUOTE]

Smart man Very smart.

-Clemonde

None at all.
He's almost a mimic of my Male which I was intended to breed with until this one was discovered was a Male.

He was always free range. Others call it "muscle mass". Don't take medical advice from a pet shop unless they have a proven history of knowing what they're talking about.

Definitely not taking any Med advice from them directly.
I'll deal with the local breeders (which are great help!!) then a vet if they see or advise me to.

I have been in contact with the store again, and they let us know that we'll have to wait until at least next week to see if it "clears up" before they'll go any further.
I offered to take the cham to the vet they normally use, but they didn't want me wasting money.

I'm an impatient person, so these things bug me heh :) Ah well.

None at all.
He's almost a mimic of my Male which I was intended to breed with until this one was discovered was a Male.

Definitely not taking any Med advice from them directly.
I'll deal with the local breeders (which are great help!!) then a vet if they see or advise me to.

I have been in contact with the store again, and they let us know that we'll have to wait until at least next week to see if it "clears up" before they'll go any further.
I offered to take the cham to the vet they normally use, but they didn't want me wasting money.

I'm an impatient person, so these things bug me heh :) Ah well.

If your going to breed panthers, your patience is going to be tested to the max. Just warning you.

Just sellt eh male if you don't want him and buy a female from a breeder. I certainly would not deal with that pet store.

Back
Top Bottom