Chameleon Poop 101

I have a male 3 month old Veiled Chameleon that I purchased last Thursday. I have found your post excellent and informative. But I was wondering if you could expand on one area of your post for me. Under "Frequency" you said "Some will defecate every day (especially when younger) while other may be once every few days..." One of my questions for you is, what is young for Chameleons? Like I said he 3 months old his diet right now is gut loaded 5-6 small crickets every other day and then the days that I don't feed him crickets I feed him gut loaded 7-8 small mealworms. I dust all of his food with Calcium powder and every day he gets fresh fruits and veggies. He has a basking lamp and UVB light that I turn on in the morning and then at night when we go to bed, so he gets around 12-14 hours of heat lamp and UVB. He passed a urate sometime yesterday (Monday) but no feces. I know I am telling you a lot but I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything and to see if it is normal for him not to have passed any stool.

I notice the past couple of poops from Juanita the urates has been runny. At first I thought is was because of the water from the dripper, but today I saw her in action. I read here that worms can cause the urate to be runny, and I have been feeding her about 15 crickets in the morning and a caterpillar every afternoon the past week. Do you think the caterpillars are the reason? By the way she's about 3 1/2 months.

Attachments

• IMG_1186.jpg
    IMG_1186.jpg
    240.8 KB · Views: 583
Normal to go days between bowel movements

I noticed in the "poop thread" that one of the pics said the bm shown was a week after the last one. Is that normal. My cham seems healthy and happy, but she often goes 2-3 days between poops. I guess that's ok? How long is too long (like when should you be worried she has some kind of blockatge)?

I have a male 3 month old Veiled Chameleon that I purchased last Thursday. I have found your post excellent and informative. But I was wondering if you could expand on one area of your post for me. Under "Frequency" you said "Some will defecate every day (especially when younger) while other may be once every few days..." One of my questions for you is, what is young for Chameleons? Like I said he 3 months old his diet right now is gut loaded 5-6 small crickets every other day and then the days that I don't feed him crickets I feed him gut loaded 7-8 small mealworms. I dust all of his food with Calcium powder and every day he gets fresh fruits and veggies. He has a basking lamp and UVB light that I turn on in the morning and then at night when we go to bed, so he gets around 12-14 hours of heat lamp and UVB. He passed a urate sometime yesterday (Monday) but no feces. I know I am telling you a lot but I just wanted to make sure I am not missing anything and to see if it is normal for him not to have passed any stool.

3 months to me is young. I would offer him as many as he wants for the time being. 5-6 seems on the light side. Up until about the age of 1.5 yrs, I feel its ok to have 12 or so a day. Once at the 1.5 yr mark, they can go back to feedings every other day. While they're growing give them the protein. the lack of "poo" might be because there's nutting to come out.

I notice the past couple of poops from Juanita the urates has been runny. At first I thought is was because of the water from the dripper, but today I saw her in action. I read here that worms can cause the urate to be runny, and I have been feeding her about 15 crickets in the morning and a caterpillar every afternoon the past week. Do you think the caterpillars are the reason? By the way she's about 3 1/2 months.

It's always better to be safe than sorry, in my opinion nothing wrong w/ getting her checked out. The past week or so, Luke has been enjoying a hornworm or two, and his urates are definitely pretty smooth. Definitely some moisture in caterpillars.

I noticed in the "poop thread" that one of the pics said the bm shown was a week after the last one. Is that normal. My cham seems healthy and happy, but she often goes 2-3 days between poops. I guess that's ok? How long is too long (like when should you be worried she has some kind of blockatge)?

I don't think 2-3 days between is anything to worry about. Once chams get a bit older, they're not necessarily eating every day, and the amounts they eat also may go down from when they're growing. I'm sure for many chams a week in between BM's is not out of the ordinary.

Ow, Just about to post a thread with a question about poop so thought I'd do it here instead of starting a new one.

How Long is too long for a panther to go with pooping? He had a hard week and a half where he was shedding and he wasn't doing much moving and wasn't eat, since the shed he's been back to his normal character, coming out of his cage, eating, drinking and generally been having fun, hes super colouful the majority of the time... but he hasn't pooped in like 3 weeks... each day which is another day since the last time I get more and more worried...... He's still eating though... I've checked his cage everyday for a possible sneeky one but there is no signs. Do I need to get him to the vet???

I just noticed your post, and hopefully your panther is back to a normal schedule, but 3 weeks to me is a long time. I would guess age and amount of normal diet for your panther has to be taken into consideration. Please let us know how he's doing.

I know for a fact that I fell in love with my Chameleons the moment I had seen them in the pet store. My wife teases me and says I treat them better than my own kids. Any information I can retain to better understand them helps me out a while bunch. Thank you for taking the time and writing this post it is greatly appreciated. I now know more about my Chem's then I did earlier today.

came home to my room all smelly to find 3 poops and 1 urate, sadly my veileds urates are a bit orange-ish so he isnt getting enough water but i mist a lot and have a fogger, and a dripper. Also one of his turds dont look like he fully digested a cricket so have to work on his hydration

2reqgt2.jpg

poo problem??

My guys poos look fine when they come out though I notest somthing the other day? Poo stuck to tweesers so wiped it off on some card, as it spred out there were locusts legs still almost hole, and a liitle bit of wood in one the next day (from the garden,I think) over the next week they all had a few bit let in them so...

is it normal for there to be some part of harder bodies left in poo if you spred it and look inside??? Sorry this sounds disgusting! :eek:

one this I didnt see was pictures of watery urates? What does it mean if the urates is watery and not a solid form? My veiled is on a milk thistle regimine to help with his liver infection, but today his urates was not formed like it used to and was very watery, so what can i do to change that or what does it mean?

Does it mean my cham is particularly unhealthy if he's having diarrhea from the hornworms? I feed him quite a few... maybe I should reduce the number a bit.

Attachments

• feces.jpg
    feces.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 567
Today my 6-7month old female veiled poop like always but there is one of the droppings that looks different than anything shes ever pooped ...

There's a normal poop and right next too it there's a white poop with some orange in it, I don't know if she did both in one sitting (looks like it).

She is trying new food, in the morning she has crickets around 12 of them, that's normal, the new food she's tried since the end of last week are: butterworms (she's had a lot of them, for 2 days that's all she wanted to eat mostly) & silkworms.

I mist the live plant inside her cage 2 times a day and she has a dripper also.

Here's a picture of the poop, what you guys think?

Thanks in advance
e66609147686d11a857f4968cd824928.jpg

My chameleon's poop :D

What a helpful thread! My panther chameleon, skittles, pooped today (Thursday), the last time I think he did was on Sunday.

I uploaded a pic for you guys to check out. Ive been somewhat concerned about how well he is being hydrated, I mist heavily twice a day and humidity is usually between 40%-70%. He eats dubia roaches gutloaded with cricket food, carrots, oranges, apples, some collard greens.

But i wanted to be more aware/sure if he's doing okay, because I rarely see him drinking water/dew. I still feel like he could be drinking more. Based on what I read in the first post, it's normal for the urate to have some orange if its been a few days?

The sperm plugs fell out last, theyre on top of the urate. You can kind of make it out.

Attachments

• IMAG0342.jpg
    IMAG0342.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 2,446
Every poop I pick up out of Lazy boys cage I look at in the light and then smash with the paper towel and smear to see how he's digesting everything. Anyone ever seen a air bubble in a fresh urates?

Back
Top Bottom