Please show me your cricket containers.

stepho

So my current cricket containing method is not up to snuff. It is working, but I would really like to improve it. Would you mind posting pictures, links or descriptions of how you have yours set up?

Thanks

This works for me.
168508C1-C9FE-4978-8FF0-ECF6EEF244E7-9571-00000AD471ADCAF1.jpg
:D

Mine is a 10 gallon glass aquarium with egg crate and a screen top!!!
Works great and easy to clean!!!

I have the same for my roaches... ;)

So my current cricket containing method is not up to snuff. It is working, but I would really like to improve it. Would you mind posting pictures, links or descriptions of how you have yours set up?

Thanks

I used these containers that our sets of Tupperware came in. One is for baby crickets, and the other is for adults. I just heated a screw driver and used it to make air vents in the top. They work pretty good, no escapees yet.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345064761.585807.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1345064816.722341.jpg

I currently have 3 cricket containers made from storage bins with handles that lock, I cut a hole for the screen on top of my containers then run clean egg crates stacked with clean wood chips on the bottom with two containers for Bug Burger as well as organic vegetables. I only feed my crickets organic vegetables. They love it.

Thanks for the replies!

Ok so it looks like the big totes are a popular choice. When it comes time to clean your container how do you go about this task? Do you transfer all the crickets into a different container and vacuum/wash it? How often do you do this? Any tips for easy cleaning?

I clean them every few days. I usually shake out the egg trays and tilt the container so all the poo and stuff falls to one corner and scoop it out. The crickets usually go to the other side of the container when you tilt it. I use boiling water to sanitize the container in between batches of crickets, I have an instant boiling water spout in my sink that makes it really easy to do.:D

I use the 66 qt sterlite container. I hot glue screen on all 4 sides. The egg crates are cut in half then they are glued together. This allows the crates to stand upright, the poo falls to the bottom, and since the are cut in half the crix cant jump out as soon as i take the lid off

How much do you guys buy crickets at a time? It seems like i'm spending 15-20 every week and a half. That's like $40-50 a month! Is it possible to breed these crickets yourself?

Yes! there's a couple good video's on YouTube , all you really have to do is make sure you have some containers with dirt inside and your able to removed the container's to a tank that has a heating pad and you should be ready to go.

hope this help's

There's of different cricket containing method but here's what my cricket colony looks like lolView attachment 62502

are those water storing crystals they are drinking from? (polyacrylamide?)

I've been very worried about using those because when they start to dry out the crickets could injest the unexpanded form & then the chameleon could eat them and it would expand inside the cham when it drinks??

Not sure if my fear is unfounded or not... any thoughts?

No they're not the crystals, I don't put "water" in their cage I give them sweet potatoes, they're loaded with vitamins and much higher vitamin A than carrots. So they get all water from the sweet potatoes and they get to eat kale, collard greens, some carrots and they love oatmeal. I also completely clean the crickets every 3 days religiously or it gets horrendous. Using this method my crickets live they're entire lifespan and get about as big as my thumb and my veiled loves em

I've been very worried about using those because when they start to dry out the crickets could injest the unexpanded form & then the chameleon could eat them and it would expand inside the cham when it drinks??

Not sure if my fear is unfounded or not... any thoughts?

That is an interesting thought. I use the water crystals for my roaches and I have absolutely no problems. I think that they get so rock hard when they dry out that there would be no way to ingest it. That's just my thought though. I would also think that if they could ingest, the insect would have enough liquid in it to cause the crystal to expand and it would die before you could feed it to your cham. Again just my thinking. In all of my researching of beardies, chams, and roaches, I have never read about anyone having this type of problem either.

I buy 2500 crickets at a time, my order usually consists of 1000 medium, 1000 jumbo, 500 small, I usually add 100 super worms as well. I usually get them shipped from bcrcrickets, they have always arrived alive with cold packs since the heat. I have had no problem with them at all. I spend around 100 a month. I am looking into starting a dubia roach colony soon as well. Once again I will state I love bug burger, and only use organic vegetables to gut load my crickets.

I use the 66 qt sterlite container. I hot glue screen on all 4 sides. The egg crates are cut in half then they are glued together. This allows the crates to stand upright, the poo falls to the bottom, and since the are cut in half the crix cant jump out as soon as i take the lid off

Can you post some pictures of your setup. I'm brand new so not sure what you're talking about. Thanks

I use a 20 gal tank with screen top and egg crate as well. I have an old whipped butter tub lid that I use for putting the dry feed in, I lay the lettuce leaves on the egg crate and dust with bug burger. I also use oranges as well, but right now I am working on ridding a small fruit fly population that kept going for the oranges. I tried bug lights to draw them out, to no avail. Also, I know there are entries here on how to breed crickets, and videos on youtube as well. In fact, I just pulled out my container to clean and going to try again with breeding them. You can buy them in bulk, the cheapest way to do it, either from a store or a show. I get them at the hamburg shows, and get 1000 at a shot, usually 3/4 in or so. They are like $12 there for 1000, I have paid around $20 from another store my sister used to get them when we really needed them, and if you got them from some in the net, you could pay $30+ since basically overnight it to make sure they are live when you get them.

Back
Top Bottom