Please Help Immediately!!! Chameleon life may be at stake!!!!!!!!

Chameleonfan1

Okay so im not gonna lie it was about 4-5 days since i fed my veiled because my parents wouldnt buy me crickets even though i kept reminding them, and then he wasnt moving so i fed him 3 crickets which i just bought, he is very lathargic which i know is caused by lack of nutrition and food and just now he ate one and is now asleep on the ground where as normally he would sleep in branches and he barely has any strength and he keeps lightly burrowing his head in the soilish like thing. Now i know this is a problem, but if i keep feeding him dusting crickets ect. like normal will he be ok and get back to normal or will he just die or something please help.
Every help is greatly appreciated!

You have a problem. 4 or 5 days without food will not cause what you described. Your chameleon has been mostlikely sick before this happened. A trip to the vet is highly recommended.

Just keep feeding him. He should be fine. Water him too. Let like 10 crickets go into his cage. He will find em. Ive herd of chams surviving more than a week not eating, so dont worry too much. As long as he is eating now. and dont make this a habit... make sure you have enough to feed him from now on.
Like Lance said though, burrowing wouldnt be because of hunger.... you have another problem

Well not really

He was sitting on a low stick with his head in the dirt and thats what i consider "burrowing" and what problems and how much money we talkin?

1st.. Are you sure its a boy? because if it was actually "burrowing" it could be trying to lay eggs. or its too hott up top so its just going as far down as it can..

He was sitting on a low stick with his head in the dirt and thats what i consider "burrowing" and what problems and how much money we talkin?

There's something else wrong here. This is not normal behavior. A healthy cham doesn't lie down and die because they haven't eaten for 4 days.

Please answer the "how to ask for help" questions so we can check your husbandry and help you fix it.

Just keep feeding him. He should be fine. Water him too. Let like 10 crickets go into his cage. He will find em.

Sorry, bad idea! If this cham is really sick and weakened, releasing a bunch of hungry crix in the cage with him is just asking for trouble. Crix can and do chew on herps that don't have the ability to get away from them.

There's something else wrong here. This is not normal behavior. A healthy cham doesn't lie down and die because they haven't eaten for 4 days.

Please answer the "how to ask for help" questions so we can check your husbandry and help you fix it.

Yeah i think that your right a healthy chameleon may be able to go a few weeks before eventually dieing.

Pretty SUre

Im pretty sure hes a boy he is approx. 18 mo old and he has the lump sticking out on the back of his foot and his right eye right now is closed and his left open although it appears he is trying to open it but cant. And let me get this straight dont worry about not feeding if its that he will come back but now he could be seriously sick?

Im pretty sure hes a boy he is approx. 18 mo old and he has the lump sticking out on the back of his foot and his right eye right now is closed and his left open although it appears he is trying to open it but cant. And let me get this straight dont worry about not feeding if its that he will come back but now he could be seriously sick?

He is PROBABLY seriously sick! we need a lot more information so we can try to help! Closing eyes is another sign something is wrong.

Ok

Ok I will post a pic here and only one is closed but also parents say a vet is too expensive and i need something less expensive to do it plus i dont know any exotic pet vets around MO anyway...

Just keep feeding him. He should be fine. Water him too. Let like 10 crickets go into his cage. He will find em. Ive herd of chams surviving more than a week not eating, so dont worry too much. As long as he is eating now. and dont make this a habit... make sure you have enough to feed him from now on.

You are completely off with your advice! This animal is absolutely sick and needs to see a vet ASAP as recommended by other members. 4 days with no food is not going to harm a healthy chameleon.

Chameleonfan1: Please get your cham to a good reptile vet as soon as possible. In the meantime, please fill out the help form here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/how-ask-help-66/ There may be something in your husbandry that is off. I hope he will be ok!

Just keep feeding him. He should be fine. Water him too.

Worst advice ever. Sorry but that chameleon has something very wrong with it if it's laying on the ground and if you don't recognize that as a problem you should not be offering advice.

OP please fill out the form on husbandry so we can try to pinpoint possible problems that may be causing this episode. Do not try to give him water because he may choke on it. Pictures would be helpful.

pic did not work.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:

Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? How old are the lights?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - it is veiled chameleon, it is 18 mo it has been in my care for about 8-9 months.
Handling - none when i need him to move i lift the stick he is on
Feeding - I feed him crickets every other day 6-8 crickets depending on him i use oranges and potatoes to feed the crickets
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - I have a fogger i used to spray but i was informed he got his water from food so i stopped no i never see him drink water
Fecal Description - They are well formed droppings with little white parts
History -No not really besides i think hes dehydrated
Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass 2x2x3feet
Lighting - I use reptile lighting from local pet store 60 watt bulb white for day and red light for night
Temperature - in the day it is 80-78 degrees and at night it is 72-70
Humidity - it is about 40 on the hygrometer
Plants - NO
Placement - it is located in my bedroom near my low sound fan, it is 3 ft off the ground, there is practically no outside noise near his cage.
Location - I am in Missouri with high humidity and heat.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - it is veiled chameleon, it is 18 mo it has been in my care for about 8-9 months.
Handling - none when i need him to move i lift the stick he is on
Feeding - I feed him crickets every other day 6-8 crickets depending on him i use oranges and potatoes to feed the crickets Your gutload is quite lacking to say the least, check out this link: http://www.ivanalfonso.com/2011/04/what-exactly-is-gutloading/ and https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/75-feeder-nutrition-gutloading.html
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? Are you using any supplements at all to dust the feeders?
Watering - I have a fogger i used to spray but i was informed he got his water from food so i stopped no i never see him drink water They get some water from their food (a small amount), but you need to be misting his plants, they drink the water off of leaves. https://www.chameleonforums.com/basic-husbandry-38769/
Fecal Description - They are well formed droppings with little white parts
History -No not really besides i think hes dehydrated
Cage Info:
Cage Type - glass 2x2x3feet
Lighting - I use reptile lighting from local pet store 60 watt bulb white for day and red light for night NO LIGHT IS NEEDED AT NIGHT, they need darkness to sleep. Where is the UVB lamp at?
Temperature - in the day it is 80-78 degrees and at night it is 72-70
Humidity - it is about 40 on the hygrometer
Plants - NO You have NO plants at all for the chameleon? What is in the cage with him??
Placement - it is located in my bedroom near my low sound fan, it is 3 ft off the ground, there is practically no outside noise near his cage.
Location - I am in Missouri with high humidity and heat.

I typed my responses in the quote above. There are quite a few issues you need to get corrected that are most likely directly related to your sick animal. He needs a vet. I'm sure someone else will have some more advice as well.

okay so there are plants but there fake and thick sticks that are real and thin sticks that are fake, his uvb light i was told he couldnt even see in his vision of the light spectrum and it is above on top of the cage.

Back
Top Bottom