Picked up my new guy last night and not sure he is doing well???

herpluva

I just picked up a veiled last night and he is definitely dehydrated. His eyes are sunken in. He was oddly colored till about a few minutes ago. He seems a little bloated to me? I am not sure though. I misted his cage (his previous owner did not do) and he drank all the water off the door of his screen cage. She said she has had him for 2 months and was about 2 inches long when she got him. He seems awfully big to me for his age. He ate one cricket that I dusted with herptivite and calcium D3 (she only used plane calcium).
What else can I do to ensure he gets better?
I added live plants to his otherwise bare cage he was in and he has a reptiglo 5.0 and a 75 watt basking spot. He came with his enclosure and lighting. His cage temp is 73 except for his basking spot is around 90. I am misting him frequently but is there a point when it is to much?
All the advice I can get on this guy would be greatly appreciated.
THANX

New Babe........

Hi there! Can we see some pictures of the little guy? One of the head showing the casque and the eyes and another showing the body (too see if there is bloating)........That would really help. Thanks :)

Here are some pics I just took of him. My new camera for some reason does not focus even though its auto focus.
000_0001-3.jpg

000_0002-2.jpg

000_0003-4.jpg

000_0004-3.jpg

000_0005-3.jpg

000_0006-4.jpg

000_0007-4.jpg

000_0008-2.jpg

000_0009-2.jpg

000_0010-2.jpg

Howdy,

He doesn't look too outa-whack. Good doses of sunshine can go a long way towards getting D3 levels back into balance. Making sure that he has access to misted and/or dripped water so that he can hydrate at his own rate in addition to encouraging to drink by misting him directly with warm water will be beneficial.

In the long-run you'll be better-off removing the substrate to minimize bacteria, fungi, and parasite issues.

Looks like things will work out after his stress levels reduce.

A larger enclosure will be beneficial when money permits. I like 2x2x4 enclosures for Veileds heading into adulthood :).

I removed the substrate this morning (It was already in there) when I put him on a plant to get some mist from the shower. I didn't know if I should put him in the bigger reptarium now or keep him in what he knows for a few weeks till he settles down? I also thought monitoring his feeding for the next few days would be easier in the one he is in?? I am going to put him outside now after I post this. I thought since he had never been outside all this change may over stress him. :confused:
Should I graduate him to a bigger cage now or let his relax a few weeks? :eek:
Thanks for the advice. So he does not look bloated to you? That is good. I will just keep a big eye on his hydration!!

I have a question. When i put new water in my little hand mister,i put the hottest water in there,but wen i spray it its cold,anyone know how i can make warm water come out?

Howdy,

I'd be tempted to move him to the larger enclosure sooner than later.

I figured the substrate was from the previous keeper :).

Try one of these hand pump-up units like the one in the middle. This one or one similar to it is available at Home Depot for about $7. You be able to keep-up a continuous drippy/misty spray for many minutes. Adjust it to bigger droplets and they retain more of the water's heat. You don't need to blast it, just take it easy with the volume. It doesn't need to be a monsoon. http://rlflomaster.com/sprayers/hand.htm

Thanks for your response. I will pick one of those up at home depot. I have the smaller version from petsmart and paid twice as much.lol
He is outside at the moment and I am going to switch him to his new cage tomorrow. I need to go pick up some taller plants first.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom