Photos of the B. transvaalense Chameleons

Olimpia

Biologist & Ecologist
It's about time I did a photo update on these guys. With my job I'm usually out during the best hours to bring them outside for photos. However, it feels like it's approaching Apocalypse temperature outside with the humidity so I took a few half-decent shots inside instead.

First the female, Azalea.

juy1.jpg

juy2.jpg

juy3.jpg

And now the boy, Azrael.

juy4.jpg

juy5.jpg

juy6.jpg

They seem to be doing really well so far.
They are each in an 18" x 36" screen cage with branches arranged vertically with small hanging pothos and an orchid each. They cover every inch of that cage daily!

Their basking spot reaches 85*F but the rest of the room is much cooler so they can pick and choose, but they seem to prefer hanging out towards the top of the cage at least for a few hours.

As far as water goes, my hydrometer reads "low" most of the time, and it may spike to 50% during a good misting session, which is only about a minute or two towards the start of the day. Then in the afternoon I will go back in and do a quick spritz to get everything a little wet again in case anyone needs a drink and this keeps their urates white. I'm still uncomfortable with how little water I'm giving them but it's working for them, so either it's all they need or it's the minimum they need to survive. Haven't decided yet.

They are eating mainly crickets, small roaches (from 4-5 kinds), baby mantises, and anything else small I can find.

And I think that's all I have on them so far. So far so good, so we'll see how they continue to do as time goes on.

And in closing, a silly photo of Daedalus that I'd forgotten was on the memory card. This was originally going to be a photo thread on everyone but all the photos of the carpets and the panthers came out blurry. So you get just one non-Brady chameleon photo.

july6.jpg

Edit - And Laurie you know you can call, text, email, or facebook me if you want an update on your girl at any time.

Nice photos Olimpia! I love the one of Daedalus. He is just so handsome and I can tell that the Brady's are growing and looking good.

They all look great. You have acrobat of a panther, don't you? He is a lovely boy. Both of your transvaalense are more colorful than mine. I keep about the same temps and such as you do but mine have a dripper 24/7. I am like you, I need more that a couple misting:rolleyes:, and the chams don't seen to mine. Thanks for sharing

Nice photos Olimpia! I love the one of Daedalus. He is just so handsome and I can tell that the Brady's are growing and looking good.

Thank you!

wow...they look awesome! good job olimpia. daedalus looks like he's getting a belly. ;)

Thank you! He's always had a round belly, he's just not like other chameleons that flatten out at all. He's been on a diet for months and the belly won't go away so we have to assume he's just not one that "sucks in." lol

They all look great. You have acrobat of a panther, don't you? He is a lovely boy. Both of your transvaalense are more colorful than mine. I keep about the same temps and such as you do but mine have a dripper 24/7. I am like you, I need more that a couple misting:rolleyes:, and the chams don't seen to mine. Thanks for sharing

He is, even with a bit of his tail gone! Do you have any recent pics of yours? I'm not doing anything special with my lot, I haven't really had the time to take anyone outside for any significant length of time in the last few weeks. I'm going to set up a dripper system for them to give them a small, steady stream of water as well.

They all look great your Brady's look like they are coming along well

Thank you!

Some more from today. Azalea first, followed by Azrael.

juy7.jpg

juy8.jpg

They are cute as buttons! But I may have to get a good zoom lens to get anywhere near as close as you need to get to capture all their detail clearly. My camera just can't come close without terrifying them with the camera.

A question for anyone else that has raised these guys, how much bigger are the males going to get? I know the females end up looking like female carpets, but what about the males? I know I've seen photos of them on man hands and I just can't guesstimate the size. It's just to know how close he is to full-grown at this point, to see how he's progressing.

Wonderful shots Olimpia! They're coming along well i see :)

The females are larger than the males, and the males will be only slightly smaller from what i have read. Maybe send a pm to Paul hes the only regular here whos had adults

Wonderful shots Olimpia! They're coming along well i see :)

The females are larger than the males, and the males will be only slightly smaller from what i have read. Maybe send a pm to Paul hes the only regular here whos had adults

Thanks! So far so good with them, in my opinion. I'm managing to get them outside for a little bit now and then, when it's not at a 1,000 degrees outside!

Ok, I'll send a message to Paul or dig through his photos. I'm just curious. I have carpets so I can compare how she's growing but I have no reference for him. I don't know if he's supposed to triple in size or just grow a little bit more.

Olimpia they are just too cute!!!!! How will they compare size wise to carpets when grown?

Love your little silly blue boy also!!!!! :)

Olimpia they are just too cute!!!!! How will they compare size wise to carpets when grown?

Love your little silly blue boy also!!!!! :)

Thanks! The females will be similar in size but the male will be smaller than a typical carpet and smaller than the female. By how much, I'm not sure, but the males are smaller.

Thank you!

If anyone has thoughts on whether I have a pair or not I'd love to hear it. I've gotten half a dozen people come out of the woodwork to tell me I have two males, but then aren't certain. So people who really know, please put in your two cents.

I think we need Trace, Chris and Kent. If those 3 can't decide we are up a creek. You are now a mod so you know three co mods will all help you out. I will be waiting to see what your adorable littles ones are.

Looks male to me by the scalation & the tail base. Coloring varies widely so just because of the light colors, doesn't mean female. I contacted Benny when I had doubts about mine & he confirmed that it was a male. Try shooting him a PM, he won't mind confirming gender for you..

I think we need Trace, Chris and Kent. If those 3 can't decide we are up a creek. You are now a mod so you know three co mods will all help you out. I will be waiting to see what your adorable littles ones are.

Have Trace or Kent kept Bradypodion before?

Also, I do believe they are definitely a pair. Ive been looking at my 2 females alot and comparing with my male, and other pics. My females look almost identical to yours (the one in the first pics).

She doesn't scream male to me, so that's why it hasn't really worried me. She's twice as big as the male, he has a very sizable bulge, and he fires up black and white at her but she's always those muted pastel colors. But I get emails here and there from people voicing their doubts but no one is showing me what a female should look like, so I'm just going to keep waiting to see how they develop.

Back
Top Bottom