Phoenix worm as recycler machine

dodolah

Retired Moderator
i thought this is interesting:

Want to go green? why not breed phoenix worm?
Throw your food scrap into a trash can called biopod and let the flies do the rest. once they multiply, the maggot (phoenix worm) fell into a smaller tub and ready to be harvested. :)

Hey thanks for that link!! I have been trying to research info on how to do it myself. The one thing I find interesting in the video, is my research said you will only find females in the compost areas as the adult flies do not have mouths and do not eat. Only females will go to compost to lay there eggs. Wonder if the info I read was inacurate? Anywas, thanks a bunch for that!

interesting, but I dont think I consume enough vegetables to fill one of those up... I would have to dumpster dive at grocery stores...

fruit is good for those, but im pretty sure you wouldnt want to put rotting animal product in there. 1. Pheonix worms consume vegetable matter, not animal product, correct? 2. Animal product is a breeding ground for harmful bacteria not only for chams, but humans as well. 3. I would not be keeping this in my house, so meat especially would attract scavengers such as raccoons.

If I had one, I would stick primarily to fruit/veg waste. Also, you would still need to make sure you are not putting things that are toxic to chams such as tomatoes and whatnot in there.

as far as I know, they eat meat.
Don't quote me on this, but their digestive system works so well that they actually kill bacteria and pathogens inside their body. So, I think essentially you can feed the larvae to your chameleon.

No, you will not keep this inside your house. After all, it is essentially a decomposer trash can.
Normally, I don't think people put trash inside their house.
They say the rate of decomposing is quite efficient as well.. So, chances are, it won't rot be4 gobbled up completely unless you have not enough colony :D

Back
Top Bottom