Pet Mantids

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColorCham427

Avid Member
Violin mantis, Idolomantis Diabolica, Acantops sp., B. Mendica, and Popa Spurca.

All species are easy to care for.

NOTE: The Idolomantis - (The Idolomantis Diabolica are a species that require A LOT of humidity as they age, and they also require much larger holed mesh cages as they age.)

Some people believe they need it extremely hot and dry, this is false information. Their bodies are shaped in a very odd and unique way. Their claws need to cling very tight for a long time, considering the way they move during molting. They move a lot due to their odd structured figure.

The larger they get, the heavier and larger their shape of design increases.

This is why I move them into a larger holed mesh cage, with a thick paper towel layer as a substrate. The larger they get, the more humidity they need to help them molt easier.

Soft material is ideal for them. Metal screening is quite slippery, and I have witnessed a lot more nymphs falling during their molting process comparing to their soft mesh cage.

Stores such as Target, Walmart, etc. sell fold-able mesh hampers. Just make sure to hot glue a piece of plastic inside of the opened side. This way, they will not even try to climb on it because they cannot climb smooth surfaces.

The Idolomantis are much more expensive, due to their rarity and beauty.
They are not commonly available in the USA as they are in the UK.

All five species are communal and can easily be kept together, species by species, not all three in one! ;)

As long as they are well fed, there will be no cannibalism.

Down side: Most people are thrown off mantis keeping due to their short life span.

Sometimes they "mismolt" and die because they can no longer eat for themselves. The human thing in my opinion, is to quickly kill them as fast as possible. I feed them off to a chameleon that is size appropriate, or quickly step on it.

Note: putting animals in the freezer doesn't work nearly as fast as the above methods of assisting their death.

The upside about mantis keeping:

They are CHEAP to keep! Fruit fly cultures are cheap when buying from me.

My prices for FF cultures range from $3.50-$2.25 depending on how many you buy at once.

House flies and blue bottle flies are cheap when buying from me too.

If you have moths, bees, and any other insects that fly, you can feed those off too. Free food is always good!

Very few mantis species do not do so well eating roaches and crickets.

Violins and Idolomantis Diabolica should not be fed anything except for flying insects. I have heard of others feeding them crickets when low on flies, but try your best to keep flies in stock at all times. Flies are cheap, so it isn't hard keeping them available!!! ;)

Popa Spurca, Acanthops sp. and B. Mendica can be fed crickets, super worms and roaches, however, flying insects are better for them. You really should only allow the Popa Spurca to feed on crickets, roaches and super worms daily if you wish to. The other two species can live out healthy lives feeding on these insects, but overall, flying insects are way better for them.

Nutrition: No gutloading involved. Although, dusting some feeders with some of my bee pollen powder is a nice treat for your mantis! The taste is favored by every mantis I have ever owned. :)

L2 Violin Nymph prices:

1-3 nymphs - $10.00 each

4-8 nymphs - $7.00 each

Any number above 9, they are all each $6.00.

L4 Idolomantis Diabolica nymph prices:

These are large enough to sex easily, and I can offer sexed pairs!

Same price for all:

Males - $27.50 each

Females - $37.50 each

The Idolomantis Diabolica are rarely available in the states. They normally have to be imported, which is very risky due to their shipping issues.

L4 Acanthops sp. nymph prices:

Same price for all:

Males : $13.00 each

Females: $15.00 each

L4 B. Mendica nymph prices:

Same price for all:

Males: $14.00 each

Females: $16.00 each

L2 Popa Spurca Nymph prices:

1-4 nymphs - $2.00 each

Any more than 4 nymphs, they are all each for $.90 cents!!!

(The extremely low price for the Popa are due to many personal reasons, let's just say they are not my cup of tea, although lots of folks love them!!!)

Here are some pictures of Violins:

gongylus_gongylodes_5.jpg

Here are some pictures of Popa Spurca:

800px-Popa_spurca_crassa_Adult.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some pictures of Idolomantis Diabolica:

5587004-lg.jpg
[/IMG],
Idolomantisdiabolica.jpg
[/IMG],
idolomantis_diabolica.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some pictures of Acanthops sp.:

4138301936_50a03cd2f1.jpg
[/IMG],
4745394809_c1a5b9704c.jpg
[/IMG],
4774208154_99f40b586b.jpg
[/IMG]

Here are some pictures of B. Mendica:

blepharopsis_mendica.jpg
[/IMG],
b_mendica_sex.jpg
[/IMG],
blepharopsismendica5.jpg
[/IMG]

EMAIL ME at [email protected] if you are interested in any of these. Thanks! Happy Thanksgiving every body. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom