Personality

YigosFlower

As every living thing in nature has some extent of a personality for the most part im going to assume Chameleons do too. I am wondering though if some of you can describe your chameleons personalities as im SURE they are all different to a degree. (im mainly looking into Panthers, but would also like to hear how others vary.)

Do they enjoy their human companions? Do any enjoy being held? How do you tell when they are happy, sad?

I've read on a few sites that they are mainly a 'decorative' pet, which i understand & expected, but just wondered if they would ever potentially enjoy me. I just want to over all know what to expect personality wise about owning my first chameleon! Do they show affection, im going to assume bite when angry or possibly scare? How do i know if he is stressed before it becomes a problem?

Some insight of your chameleons personality would be great!

Thanks!

Thaxter, my male panther, seems to enjoy the company of people. When he starts walking around and around his lampshade and leaning out, reaching out into the air, he wants to be picked up and will climb right onto a proffered hand. He seems perfectly content to sit on our arms for about 20 minutes, at which point he begins to get restless and wants to do something else. It is generally more difficult to set him down than to pick him up, with his four pinching feet and prehensile tail. I would guess our comparative warmth is one of the reasons he seems so happy to sit on us; he is much less interested in being picked up when he is outside (and being picked up means going back in). He *seems* capable of deferring gratification: if I offer him a bug in the morning and he eats it, I walk away and he doesn't get to climb on me. I have seen him, on several occasions, lock eyes on the bug, start to extend the tongue - then "change his mind", climb across the bug cup onto my arm, then eat his bug. It seems that he knows that if he climbs on first, he gets to eat his snack, too.

The Jackson's that was my first chameleon could be picked up if necessary, but was not at all interested in it. He didn't like climbing on, but once he was on your arm, he seemed to forget he was upset and treat you like just another branch. He never went out of his way to "visit" us while wandering the room, unlike the panther who has come to us of his own accord.

Both chameleons have been acutely aware of, and interested in, new things placed in their environment. New branches and vines are very quickly checked out. If allowed to wander, either would go out of their way to clamber over anything they could.

I don't want to be negative but I think applying human traits to chameleons can cause for unsuccesful husbandry.

It's absolutely true that each chameleon is unique and displays behaviour that sets it apart from other chameleons. No doubt.

However, as soon as we enter the realm of "I don't hand spray him because it doesn't seem to make him happy...". We're in trouble. Remember that these animals are absolutely void of emotion. They know comfort and discomfort. They can be active or inactive. Aggresive, non-aggresive.

We we begin to think of aggressive = angry, then suddenly you're seeing emotion. You start saying "my chameleon is angry at me all the time",or "he hates me". And that can be an unrewarding experience.

But once you realize that he doesn't have emotions and that his aggresion is purely a continued display of "this time he's gonna eat me for sure and I'm going to go out fighting", you start to understand that your chameleon really has a lizard brain, and you treat him as such.

It's better for him. It's better for you.

When my chameleon rushes to the door when I'm come near, and hops onto my hand with seeming "excitment", I know it's not because his brain is saying "I love this guy, he feeds me and cares for me and I love to sit on his shoulder while he works in the office", but rarther his brain is saying "big monster = food = survival. Maybe on this shoulder is where the females are."

Very cool! Thanks so much for your time & imput!

Im so very nervous about how to handle, how often i should try to encourage him to climb on me, how much out of the cage time is required, etc. I've read a number of contradicting things. I think i will be terrified to allow mine to wander around a room, even though that would be SO amazingly fun & perhaps fairly slow going. =] I would just think it would be too cold in the winter months, even with the heat going? I guess i just have that fear of them being SO insanly sensitive that im going to be fearful of even putting my hands in the cage or standing around observing for that matter. =]

I guess to sum it up i just dont know what is really expected of me, the owner in his happiness for life. (other than cleaning, feeding, etc of course)

I don't want to be negative but I think applying human traits to chameleons can cause for unsuccesful husbandry.

It's absolutely true that each chameleon is unique and displays behaviour that sets it apart from other chameleons. No doubt.

However, as soon as we enter the realm of "I don't hand spray him because it doesn't seem to make him happy...". We're in trouble. Remember that these animals are absolutely void of emotion. They know comfort and discomfort. They can be active or inactive. Aggresive, non-aggresive.

We we begin to think of aggressive = angry, then suddenly you're seeing emotion. You start saying "my chameleon is angry at me all the time",or "he hates me". And that can be an unrewarding experience.

But once you realize that he doesn't have emotions and that his aggresion is purely a continued display of "this time he's gonna eat me for sure and I'm going to go out fighting", you start to understand that your chameleon really has a lizard brain, and you treat him as such.

When my chameleon rushes to the door when I'm come near, and hops onto my hand with seeming "excitment", I know it's not because his brain is saying "I love this guy, he feeds me and cares for me and I love to sit on his shoulder while he works in the office", but rarther his brain is saying "big monster = food = survival. Maybe on this shoulder is where the females are."

I totally know what you are saying! I guess im more "socialized" to furry animals & their personalities. I do have geckos & as i know they are reptiles they are much different than my other pets. They dont exactly LIKE to be held or wait for me to pick them up, where as my sugar gliders are total opposite.

Im not expecting the chameleon to lunge out of the cage at me with open arms ready to rub his cheeks on me like a cat. I just wasnt sure how much I should approach him, if ever, about coming out, handling, etc. I've never had one, so i dont know how 'reading' their behavior will be. (I want to know if hes happy or content, if that would better describe things.) Im prepared for him to be a fairly 'boring' hands off pet that is kinda a 'hermit' & something i just look at. Im willing to let him make the calls if he 'likes' me or not, i just wasnt sure if encouraging it can help or stress too much.

BTW Im definitely planning to hand mist as i feel that will help us 'bond," if you will. Im also asking though, how do i know if it makes him 'happy' or if its irritating/stressful for him? Will i just know? I've read some like the misting on them, others do not.

I've never owned a Cham or knew anyone personally that did, so im not exactly sure what to expect i guess & want all the info i can get my eyes on. =] I just want him to be a 'Happy' lizard & keep him from becoming aggressive if possible.(although, yes, im fully prepared to still love him anger problems or not.) =] I also just want to know that im doing things right & know how to read warning signs that he's stressed, ill, or whatever else.

Last edited:
mines a female veiled and shes very shy and dosile but doesnt like being handled, she can be handled and ive done it alot, unfortunetly she will try to get off you at any cost so i only handle her when nessesary...

talk about personality its right under my cat and i have alot of animals chams are smart, i have a leucistic leopard gecko much easier to handle then a cham, or at least any cham ive came in contact with. heck my tarantulas are easier to handle then my particular cham, hahaha

Attachments

• handling my leo.JPG
    handling my leo.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 184
  • handling my leo 2.JPG
    handling my leo 2.JPG
    28 KB · Views: 196
I totally know what you are saying! I guess im more "socialized" to furry animals & their personalities. I do have geckos & as i know they are reptiles they are much different than my other pets. They dont exactly LIKE to be held or wait for me to pick them up, where as my sugar gliders are total opposite.

I have a sugar glider too (called Bubble)!! Sadly her sister and lifelong cagemate died in May a few days after I got my first chameleon (Lily). Bubble's such a sweet little thing! I think that suggies are a bit like furry chameleons in the way that they hold onto things and their ears are like chameleon's eyes - moving in different directions at the same time!!! Although I am lucky that Lily is a very friendly chameleon and not agressive in the slightest, and she's nearly 15 months old now.

A happy cham will be strong and healthy and usually show bright colors. When stressed they will turn dark. They will also turn dark when absorbing the sun but that doesn't mean he's stressed. Jann

Last edited:
some professional breeders like the kammers will set you up with a custom cham, if you want agressive, dosile, ect. theyll work with you and get you what you want... something worth the extra dollar, plus to kammerflage chameleons has stunning specimens.

Remember that these animals are absolutely void of emotion.

I dont think anyone can state this with certainty. Humans are not the only animals on the planet that have emotional responses, and there's really very little way for us to test or understand what a lizard may or may not feel.

Other than that, I totally agree with you, Royden. Chameleons are not people and anthropomorphism isnt helpful (though I often am guilty of doing this myself).I think much of what we call emotions are just learned behaviours.

Chameleons do show their needs in terms of "hot" "fright" "hungry" with physical changes/actions (puffing up, hiding, gaping, changing colour or pattern, running away, moving to a higher perch, biting, eating, fighting, breeding).
I've had very laid back male panther chameleons, that will willingly approach and climb onto me (the bringer of food, and occasional transport system to that nice plant over there and/or females). I call these ones friendly, even though I am doubtful that they consider me a friend nor capable of the human context of friendship.

I have a male panther chameleon who is, and quite possibly will remain, incredible "shy" which is to say it hides from me.

Most of my females have been either agressive or "shy"
One exception was Clemie (no longer living) who seemed to think of the world as food, including me (finger nails, knuckles, eyeball, elbow, hair, ear, stick, rocks, leaves, walls). Her one and only interest seemed to be finding food and eating it. Even if something didnt move, it was possibly food and worth the attempt. Even if a male was mating with her, she wanted to eat.

Im SO excited & im going to assume i will do fine raising my first as i have tackled every other pet just fine! I think i just keep going back to the stereotypical things that people ALWAYS say when Chameleon owning has been mentioned. "They are hard animals to keep & are incredibly sensitive, everyone i've known who's had one, its died." Everyone said that about my sugar gliders & as i did stress myself out a lot before getting my first i have done fine & my first just turned 5 this christmas!

I think once i have him & get to understand him & his ways about things the tension will for sure wear off. Im a very hands on learner, so i think it will all start to come naturally & of course now that i found this forum if i have questions i do feel confident that someone can lend some great advice!

I dont think anyone can state this with certainty. Humans are not the only animals on the planet that have emotional responses, and there's really very little way for us to test or understand what a lizard may or may not feel.

Other than that, I totally agree with you, Royden. Chameleons are not people and anthropomorphism isnt helpful (though I often am guilty of doing this myself)

Chameleons do show their needs in terms of "hot" "fright" "hungry" with physical changes/actions (puffing up, hiding, gaping, changing colour or pattern, running away, moving to a higher perch, biting, eating, fighting, breeding).

I've had very laid back male panther chameleons, that will willingly approach and climb onto me (the bringer of food, and occasional transport system to that nice plant over there and/or females). I call these ones friendly, even though I am doubtful that they consider me a friend nor capable of the human context of friendship.

I have a male panther chameleon who is, and quite possibly will remain, incredible "shy" which is to say it hides from me.

One exception was Clemie (no longer living) who seemed to think of the world as food, including me (finger nails, knuckles, eyeball, elbow, hair, ear, stick, rocks, leaves, walls). Her one and only interest seemed to be finding food and eating it. Even if something didnt move, it was possibly food and worth the attempt. Even if a male was mating with her, she wanted to eat.

hahaha thats so funny, they definitely have serious character..

Im SO excited & im going to assume i will do fine raising my first as i have tackled every other pet just fine! I think i just keep going back to the stereotypical things that people ALWAYS say when Chameleon owning has been mentioned. "They are hard animals to keep & are incredibly sensitive, everyone i've known who's had one, its died." Everyone said that about my sugar gliders & as i did stress myself out a lot before getting my first i have done fine & my first just turned 5 this christmas!

I think once i have him & get to understand him & his ways about things the tension will for sure wear off. Im a very hands on learner, so i think it will all start to come naturally & of course now that i found this forum if i have questions i do feel confident that someone can lend some great advice!

really humidity is the only battle, other then that professionally caring for fish i think is much harder, but yes a chameleon is an advanced pet and much to learn always....

Very well put! Man that was good. I am going to memorize this one.

Thanks Royden

Other than that, I totally agree with you, Royden. Chameleons are not people and anthropomorphism isnt helpful (though I often am guilty of doing this myself).I think much of what we call emotions are just learned behaviours.

You totally hit the nail on the head for what i was looking for! Thank you!

So in other words im going to basically be his doormat & he really wont want to seek out my companionship, but will be something cool to watch, etc? Totally the kind of pet im looking for right now! Observing him in itself is going to make me VERY happy!

I just want him to be a 'Happy' lizard & keep him from becoming aggressive if possible.

An aggressive chameleon is a healthy one.

Make your goal health. Not Happiness.

It is not fun giving shots to your chameleon, or forcing his mouth with wooden sticks so you can shove a siringe down his throat past his glottus to administer antibiotics.

This will not make your chameleon "happy". But if your goal is health you're views will change. You are the animals caretaker and that means sometimes making it uncomfortable to improve health and longevity.

Your second goal (my slightly conterversial opinion) is your own enjoyment. Why are you keeping this animal? Is it what's best for it? Nope. What's best for a chameleon is not keeping it. It may have a longer life..but let's face it..we're trying to reproduce a jungle in our homes - these creatures were designed for the forest..not for my office. I keep it for my own personal enjoyment. I view myself as it's captor and caretaker. I've seen alot of people struggle through an inner turmoil of realizing how much they care for their chameleon, and that the next level to perfecting the care of this lizard...is removing yourself . Your absence, in a free range jungle full of food and females..would complete their care.

I know these ideas are not shared here so I welcome other opinions.

I too had sugar gliders (Bubble will be 5 years old in February) before my chameleon. At least having kept them you are more aware of issues surrounding MBD and the importance of the calcium/phosporous ratios.

I also worried that I would not be able to look after a sugar glider (got my first back in July 2000) or a chameleon properly - you have to make sure that you do a LOT of research and ask a huge amount of questions before you take the plunge. I'm sure you will be a very good 'chamele-mum'!

An aggressive chameleon is a healthy one.

Make your goal health. Not Happiness.

It is not fun giving shots to your chameleon, or forcing his mouth with wooden sticks so you can shove a siringe down his throat past his glottus to administer antibiotics.

This will not make your chameleon "happy". But if your goal is health you're views will change. You are the animals caretaker and that means sometimes making it uncomfortable to improve health and longevity.

Your second goal (my slightly conterversial opinion) is your own enjoyment. Why are you keeping this animal? Is it what's best for it? Nope. What's best for a chameleon is not keeping it. It may have a longer life..but let's face it..we're trying to reproduce a jungle in our homes - these creatures were designed for the forest..not for my office. I keep it for my own personal enjoyment. I view myself as it's captor and caretaker. I've seen alot of people struggle through an inner turmoil of realizing how much they care for their chameleon, and that the next level to perfecting the care of this lizard...is removing yourself . Your absence, in a free range jungle full of food and females..would complete their care.

I know these ideas are not shared here so I welcome other opinions.

Health is most definitely my main goal in mind. I just wasnt sure how much happiness or what have you contributed to their over all health. Like with sugar gliders, if they arent happy they can become depressed/stressed & die. They become very attached to their owners & if they arent handled frequently they become depressed. I suppose my question came across wrong over all a little too dramatically perhaps, but i think you all know what i mean? Do they have Character.. im used to the 'play with me' type of animals, so im trying to adjust to the idea of not having to do much one on one interaction unless i happen to get a cham who is allowing. (which is what im looking for in a pet.) Of course not at all saying they dont take work, time, etc. I know i will need to feed, clean, mist, etc this animal. As said, he's just not going to more than likely seek out my time.

Im really looking forward to it, just have little info on what to expect temperament/personality/character wise.

I thank you all very much for your replies. This is helping a lot!

As I read the start of this thread, i knew I was going to post on it. Then Roden said it perfectly: "I think attributing human traits to chameleons can be a cause for unsuccessful husbandry." We (I) need to focus on the Chams needs, not try to make the Cham into fitting my needs
Most
Chameleons don't want you to pick them up; they are trying to climb away, you just are the tallest tree. They are not "reaching for you," as their freind and companion; at best you represent something familiar, who the Cham associates with food and water. If we want a cuddly pet, furry mammels would fit our needs better!

CHEERS!!!

As I read the start of this thread, i knew I was going to post on it. Then Roden said it perfectly: "I think attributing human traits to chameleons can be a cause for unsuccessful husbandry." We (I) need to focus on the Chams needs, not try to make the Cham into fitting my needs
Most
Chameleons don't want you to pick them up; they are trying to climb away, you just are the tallest tree. They are not "reaching for you," as their freind and companion; at best you represent something familiar, who the Cham associates with food and water. If we want a cuddly pet, furry mammels would fit our needs better!

CHEERS!!!

As said this is EXACTLY what i want. I already have the needy, furry pets that want my attention. But if my cham feels 'safe' enough or trusting enough to find me to be a stunning branch so be it! (If not, perhaps i need some pruning & he will choose to go another way?) hehe I dont think i will be offended. =]

Back
Top Bottom