Parsons just swallowed cardboard!

Lleroy

Any help please: My male Parsons Chameleon was sitting in his cage. I was busy taking out some roaches to feed him and suddenly he shot his tongue towards a cockroach but missed and caught a piece of eggshell cardboard , ate and swallowed it whole! The piece was about the size of a quarter(3cmx3 cm).
Should I be concerned?
:confused:

Well anything that is non digestible(which I am assuming cardboard is) could pose a hazard. I would think your chameleon could become impacted if he is not able to pass the cardboard, not to mention if there are any chemicals in the cardboard that could also be harmful. I wouldl call your vet immediately and explain the situation and see what he thinks you should do.

Well anything that is non digestible(which I am assuming cardboard is) could pose a hazard. I would think your chameleon could become impacted if he is not able to pass the cardboard, not to mention if there are any chemicals in the cardboard that could also be harmful. I wouldl call your vet immediately and explain the situation and see what he thinks you should do.

Thanks. Have done so.

parsons chew kind of slow dont they. were you not able to try and get it out in time? i hope your little guy turns out ok, really hope the worst doesnt have to be done. agreed, keep us posted

Thanks. Have done so.

I think I'd really hydrate him, give him high water content feeders, and make sure he drinks as much as possible. Cardboard is pretty low quality paper pulp and it may break down fairly fast in his digestive system if there is a lot of fluid passing with it. What we don't know is what if any potentially toxic chemicals (glue etc) might be in the fiber.

Avocado is toxic to birds. I would recommend against using them for gut loading with reptiles as a result. It may not be a problem but better safe than sorry.

Chris

ya im not a bird guy..so thats nice to know..funny cause ive used it in my gut loads for vit a

Avocado is toxic to birds. I would recommend against using them for gut loading with reptiles as a result. It may not be a problem but better safe than sorry.

Chris

i've used avocado in gut load recipes before. haven't had any problems. do you have a rough estimate of the toxicity level chris just so i can make sure. as far as i'm familiar with, mostly all cham safe plants have a certain level of toxicity as well, but not a risk amount if eaten in moderation.

I do not know much about it as I am not a bird keeper myself. It was something I was taught in an Exotic Avian Husbandry and Propagation course I took in college and something I've avoided as a result as a precaution.

Chris

I do not know much about it as I am not a bird keeper myself. It was something I was taught in an Exotic Avian Husbandry and Propagation course I took in college and something I've avoided as a result as a precaution.

Chris

always better safe than sorry, but i am confident in it as a gut load ingredient from batch to batch. not a constant use though, as there are better means in other fruits and vegetables. but i've used it for the last half year or so without any problems.

I am also using now Repashy's Calcium Plus ICB steady with my Veiled Chameleon, and seeing great results as far as activity and color. Have been using the product for the last month or so

To give you an idea, a few nibbles of avocado killed my healthy adult cockatiel in less than 24 hours. So very toxic. Actual dosage is controversial because it affects different species of birds differently.

always better safe than sorry, but i am confident in it as a gut load ingredient from batch to batch. not a constant use though, as there are better means in other fruits and vegetables. but i've used it for the last half year or so without any problems.

I am also using now Repashy's Calcium Plus ICB steady with my Veiled Chameleon, and seeing great results as far as activity and color. Have been using the product for the last month or so

Well, the proof is in the pudding (gutload) as they say. I've avoided using avocado in my bird foods for the same reasons. Most aviary bird husbandry books warn against avocado because of a toxic fatty acid derivitive called persin[/I, but the sensitivity varies. Overall nutritional info on avocados suggest not feeding it to any non-human. And, because there are other sources of the good fats and vitamins I just don't use it. Besides, a beautiful, expensive, ripe avocado is reserved for ME!

ate and swallowed it whole! The piece was about the size of a quarter(3cmx3 cm).
Should I be concerned?
:confused:

I have parsons that poop (1 1/8" - 1 1/4") wider than that. What size/age is he? I think odds are good that he'll be okay. The cardboard breaks down rather fast when introduced to water. So nice long drinks will aid in the passing on the cardboard through his track.

Side note: Because of their thick, sticky tongues, parsons often pick up big chunks of leaves/ vegetation with the prey items. So I think this particular type of foreign object (eggcrate) should break down in the chameleons system okay.

Visit to Vet will tell you more, and give you better piece of mind.

Last edited:
Hi. Thank you all for the help and advice. I gave him lots of water and kept a close eye as the vet suggested. He seems happy and well. His almost 3 years old now. Trying get his and the female to breed this year. Will post some pics tomorrow. Thanks again for all the help.

To give you an idea, a few nibbles of avocado killed my healthy adult cockatiel in less than 24 hours. So very toxic. Actual dosage is controversial because it affects different species of birds differently.

well, good bit of info to know! Thank you ferrit!!! I have a cockatiel but have never fed avocado nor WILL I ever now!

well, good bit of info to know! Thank you ferrit!!! I have a cockatiel but have never fed avocado nor WILL I ever now!

It was while we were making guacamole. She always nibbled on whatever we were eating so I just didn't think about it. Otherwise she probably wouldn't have ever had any. She was the sweetest little bird ever, I hand raised her myself. :(

FYI, pomegranates are also very toxic, or overheating pans with Teflon with a bird around also kills.

a quarter size piece of cardboard from like an eggcrate…? ever see what happens to those when they are soaked in water? not to mention thats a small amount of cardboard. i wouldnt worry too much

Back
Top Bottom