Panther Sexing Help

Rodderz

Hi everyone,

I am a long time lurker on the forums and have been soaking up the excellent information here over the past few months. After a great deal of planning and preparation I finally picked up a captive bread panther from a local pet store last week.

The chameleon was sold as a male but I just wanted to get some experienced chameleon keepers opinions on the matter. I can see both male and female characteristics depending when I look.

Quoting the excellent book "The Panther Chameleon" by Garry Ferguson et al.:

"Immature males usually (but not always) have a slightly thicker tail base than females, even as hatchlings. Undeveloped hemipenal pockets give the underside of the tail-base more slope in males. Females sometimes have more orange or pink on the body and more red or orange on the interstitial skin of the gular region. Using these criteria one can sex immatures with about 90% accuracy. Usually males are misidentified as females more often than the reverse".

My Panther has bright red interstitial skin on its gular region. I have read elsewhere that juvenile male panthers reliably have black or blue interstitial skin on their gular regions, but im not sure how accurate this info is. My panther also frequently displays peachy coloration on its body. On the other hand it also frequently displays blue, green and greyish colouration. In some photo's i am certain I can see a hemipenal bulge, and in others I am entirely unconvinced.

If any experienced panther chameleon keepers can give me their opinion it would be very much appreciated.

I have attached some pictures.

Thanks in advance.

Rodderz

Attachments

• sexing1.jpg
    sexing1.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 156
  • sexing2.jpg
    sexing2.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 153
  • sexing3.jpg
    sexing3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 147
  • sexing4.jpg
    sexing4.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 158
  • sexing5.jpg
    sexing5.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 140
Thanks to everyone who has replied. I cant wait to see how his colours develop as he grows up.

The guy in the pet store wasn't sure how old he was. After doing some reading on growth rates I guessed about 3 - 4 months. What does everyone else think?

Thanks again

male

It's got to be a male. It honestly looks maybe like an ambanja but way too young to tell. Nice colors for at least 4-5 months old.

Back
Top Bottom