panther basking temps

JackAttack

hello all :)

just looking for some insight on how warm the basking temps should be in a young adult male panther chams' cage.........we just set up a large cage for Jude....all screen....100 gallon.......set up horizontally and placed on a high table........but we added two additional lights to boost the temp inside the cage, as it is considerabley larger than his first home. we now have two heat lamps, one is 100 watt and the other is 150. temp under the 150 is about 100...........temp under the 100 is about 90..........temp out of the heat under the UV lights is 70. is this too warm? my worry is that the rest of the cage will not be warm enough if i remove one of the heat lamps..........help!!!!! thanks a bundle :)

i should mention that he is gaping a little bit......when he is under the heat lamps.....doesnt last long and there is no sound with it. ive seen him do it before to regulate his temp. he is quite a wanderer, walks all over his cage quite often......is this a good thing? or is he trying to get out of the heat? thanks guys!!!!!

Yes, Over 90F is Too Hot.
Raise the room temp a little, if you're concerned, rather than adding another too hot basking area.
Aim for
day basking spot up to 90F/32C
day ambient range 70-80F /21 -26C
night lowest of 65F/18C

thanks sandrachameleon! the problem with raising the room temp is that Jude lives in our bedroom and we will be sweating to death lol...........what if i just took one heat lamp out?...........the thing is that its a new cage, and jude spends his time for the moment up in the corner of the cage where there are no lights....so thats what made me put another light in there, so he'd have one near where he likes to hang out..........should i take it out and just force him to adjust to where the new heat is? thanks so much for your reply!

Back
Top Bottom