Outdoor Weather

Perceus

I live in Valencia, CA where it can get a bit toasty during the summer. How hot is too hot to have my Chamy enjoy the outside? AND how cool is too cool??

I live in Valencia, CA where it can get a bit toasty during the summer. How hot is too hot to have my Chamy enjoy the outside? AND how cool is too cool??

If it's a panther your talking about, I would try not to go above 85. A chamelon can thermoregulate it's temp much higher on a 85 degree day if needed, but cooling down is alot harder. You will need to offer lots of shade and a dripper going at lease half the day when temps go up.

How cool, should go no lower than 55-60, I feel for good health. I had some babies outside over the weekend in mostly overcast conditions. Temps were around 65, but UV index was high at 8. So they could of got a sunburn in no time. So shade / well planted enclosure is key.

Here's pic of young female catching some rays, and losing some skin Sunday.

Last edited:
I agree with Ssimmsswiss word of moderation, but-
once you've got a bit of experience, you can create a microclimate that is appropriate with careful planning and housing.

I bring all my lizards outdoors in the spring when night temps remain 50 or above and don't bring them in until fall night temperatures first drop below 50. In between temps often reach upper 80s and last summer most of the summer temps were well into the 90s- many mid-90s and upper.

I provide plenty of shade along with the sun, and use misters during the heat of the day to keep part of the cage cool (damp and cool, dry and cool, and sunny and dry all provided simultaneously throughout the heat of the day, allowing the lizard to choose).

Last summer my veileds and panthers were out basking off and on throughout the day- even when temps were well in the 90s.

Even the babies had no problems with night temperature drops into the low 50s.

Back
Top Bottom