Nutritional value of hornworms?

dectr6

Can anyone point me to a chart containing the nutritional value of hornworms? Have been able to locate charts for every other feeder except these. Thank you in advance. David

Thanks for the link! At least I know a little more about them. Their very high in calcium and low in fat. I was worried about the fat content as mine have been eating alot of them lately. They go nuts for anything bright green. I also ordered a container or the blue this time and they love them equally. Thanks Again.
David

I haven't really checked this out enough to know if lele includes any nutritional info, but looks to be a great article by our lepidopteros loving friend!

http://www.chameleonnews.com/hornworms.html

-Brad
Brad, Great article!! However, it creates a problem. It clearly states in this article that hornworms are high in fat though it doesn't list percentages. The link to great lakes hornworms states they are very low in fat at 3.07 %. This is the main thing I'm conscerned with.
Also, in this article it talks about letting the hornworm pupate in a method developed by the university that they call the soda bottle method. It doesn't go into detail but gives an outdated link. Have you heard of this? I may drop Lele a line to get her thoughts. Thanks for the link.
David

Maybe the other site was a typo, it could be 13 or 30 percent, but as long as you feed a couple other things along with the hornworms, it should be ok. Also, I know one article says that you can just cover them up in a pot with some soil.

They're really awesome-looking, I just ordered some myself. I also found a recipe for fried hornworms. Totally gross.

Brad, Great article!! However, it creates a problem. It clearly states in this article that hornworms are high in fat though it doesn't list percentages. The link to great lakes hornworms states they are very low in fat at 3.07 %. This is the main thing I'm conscerned with.David

Hi David,

The nutritional analysis thats on my website was performed by a lab that does the same analysis for food products. They are extremely accurate with there testing measures. The results were as follows for worms fed on the tan food.

Protein: 9%
fat: 3.07%
Calcium: 46.4mg/100g
Moisture: 85%

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.

Rob
Great Lakes Hornworm

Thanks for the info. I was inclined to believe your site in the beginning because the other site didn't list percentages. It seemed to me that if your site is listing actual percentages then they must have been tested. Thanks for the confirmation. David

Back
Top Bottom