Not seeing out of one eye...any ideas?

Cameron B

Established Member
Hi all,
Upon looking at my male carpet earlier today he doesn't seem to be able to see out of his right eye. I started noticing that when he was looking up to the light there was a funky glare coming off of his eye...like it was filled with a translucent fluid...water like. Imagine a persons eye with a pool of water on top of it...it's as clear as that would be.

I decided it may be a good idea to try a shower on him, and when I was taking him out he was getting pretty aggressive, but if I moved my hand to that right side he had no idea it was coming. If I put my finger very close to his right eye he doesn't look nor follow it. If I touch him on that side it surprises the heck out of him. On the left side everything seems to be okay, and he was eating crickets like he normally does...so at least he's still taking in food.

Any help here? I'm not sure as to whether this may be a Vit. A deficiency or what, but I also don't want to over supplement.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Reptairum 38 Gallon 16.5x16.5x30

Lighting - One 75 watt basking light and 1 Reptisun 5.0 UVB Tube

Temperature - Temperature in the basking spot hits at about 90 degrees, while the underside of it tend to be around 80 degrees or a little warmer depending on location.

Humidity - Ranges between 45-50%. This is maintained through a misting system with three misting sessions daily.

Plants - Umbrella plant

Location - Kept in a temperature regulated garage. No cars park in here, and it's designated for reptiles only. Think of it more like a room not attached to the house. :) Very low people traffic.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Carpet Chameleon/Furcifer Lateralis - WC...though to be about 6-7 months old.

Feeding - Chameleon is fed 7-10 crickets daily. Crickets are fed with a Flukers calcium gutload (though I'm planning on changing this) and are provided with the gel water.

Supplements - I dust my crickets with ReptiCal...no D3 @ 2x week. I switch out the Reptical with a D3 supplement 2x a month on the 1st and 17th. Chameleon is also let outside between 1-2 hrs. per day to get some sun.

Watering - Misting system. I have seen him drink in the past, but not so much as of late. I also give showers a couple of times a week.

Fecal Description - Fecal appears okay, including the white urates.

History - No other known issues.

Current Problem - As stated, the eye seems to be "blind."

Thanks for any help!

Back
Top Bottom