Normal?

Jammonlee

My Cham, which i called to find out yesterday is about 4-5 weeks old, makes this clicking noise after puffing up the flap under his chin.

I've taken a video, and you may need to turn up the volume to get a better hearing of it. It happens earlier on, cant see the flap puff up but can barely here the click, then he scales across the leaves and when he finishes, he does it and this time (towards the end of the video) you can see him puff under his chin and hear a quick click.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwIsiRdvCN8

He's been doing this every day since Ive had him (going on 5th day) when he is awake

Sorry mate, too much ambient noise to pick out clickings. The puffing up is a defensive mechanism, 'look at me im big and scary, leave me alone', this is likely to be because it was upset at your presence, and is normal.

Do keep an eye out for anything odd like keeping its mouth open, or lots of saliva, bubbles at the mouth or nose (not after drinking) and any loud breathing, wheezy clicky sounds.
If you see any of this, be sure to post back, and if you get a clearer video in a really quite time and zoom in on the lizard, we may be able to identify if theres any problem.

Meanwhile, if you would like to fill in answers all about your lizard (below) this will help us help you and ensure your lizard has everything it needs. Cheers :)

Here is some recommended information to include when asking for help in the health clinic forum. By providing this information, you will receive more accurate and beneficial responses. It might not be necessary to answer all these questions, but the more you provide the better. Please remember that even the most knowledgeable person can only guess at what your problem may be. Only an experienced reptile veterinarian who can directly examine your animal can give a true diagnosis of your chameleon's health.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Thanks jo, unfortunately my only camera is the one on my phone, no zoom but I may be able to get it at a more quiet time in the future.

I have posted the chameleon info in a past thread, located here:
https://www.chameleonforums.com/newbie-here-looking-advice-54985/

Although, a majority of the stuff has changed as far as amount of feedings, basking temp (Now at 83.4), amount of water, mist every 4 hours (3 times a day) for 2 minutes, the moss on the cage has been removed, and I have started to gut load my crickets with greens such as Kale and Collard greens, Apples, and oranges.

There was once, it may or may not have been after drinking. i never saw him drink, but the cage was wet as if it had recently misted. Waldo (my Cham) was slowly walking and opened his mouth slightly with a bubble that protruded out and then popped immediately.

Back
Top Bottom