normal for PC have mouth open a crack?

How hot is the chams basking spot? And what species is it? Generally speaking an open mouth while basking is a sign that the cham is too hot. But it can also mean an upper respritory infection also. We need more info on the cham and his/her care. Fill out the how to ask for help form.;)

it's getting cold out now so like low 80s upper 70s.

He's an ambilobe and he eats like a horse too.

not sure where you find the help form on here.

Chameleon Info:

* Your Chameleon - 1yr ambilobe male
* Handling - I leave him be
* Feeding - Crickets and recently hornworms.
* Supplements - Cal, D3, herp cal every day other every couple weeks.
* Watering - Mistking 45secs every 3 hrs and mist the screen when I see him nearby. Sometimes i see him drink.
* Fecal Description - Small little orange
* History - he's been godo so far.

Cage Info:

* Cage Type - 4' screen
* Lighting - house bulb and uv bulb
* Temperature - 80s in basking, low is low 60s at night now.
* Humidity - 50-70
* Plants - Hibcicus, ficus and pythos
* Placement - In home office near window 18" off floor.
* Location - New England

Current Problem - His mouth is open a bit most of the time now.

His elbows do not look normal. Is there a medical history that caused that? Or should we be discussing the chance that he has Metabolic Bone Disease?

He seems very skinny looking. and I agree, his elbows do not look normal. can you take some close up still photos of his limbs and full body pics and post them please?
I think you have some bigger issues here than his lips being open.

IMG_3587.jpg

IMG_3588.jpg

he eats about 7-10 crickets a day? gave him some hornworms the past few days too? Also been calcium dusting for months now too.

i agree. clearly this is a case of MBD. The mouth tip is bowing, basically the bone is bending. the way he is gripping the thingy he was laying on also is not normal. His front legs are bowing. i suggest you get to a vet as soon as possible

He gets calcium every day, d3 every 2 weeks an he was also next to a window all summer. So basically he's gonna die from MBD eventually? is he advanced or can I save him or?

He gets calcium every day, d3 every 2 weeks an he was also next to a window all summer. So basically he's gonna die from MBD eventually? is he advanced or can I save him or?

If that window was not open, then he got no beneficial uvb from the sun. uvb rays do not pass through glass or plastic.
We are not saying he is going to die.
His case is not the worst we have seen.
While the damage done cannot be reversed (ie his legs wont straighten out) the disease can be stopped.

You need to go toa vet who is knowledgable in chams, have them take xrays to confirm MBD, then they should send you home with calcium injections.
Until you can get him to the vet, outside time int he sun as much as possible, and go get some calci worms. (also known as pheonix worms) can be bought at petco.
I would try to get some hornworms too, which are great for hydration and I know that is an issue here too (orange urate= not enough water).

he can live a long relatively normal life if the right steps are taken now, before it becomes so advanced he is in alot of pain and has no decent quality of life.

He is a very beautiful chameleon, but i am sorry to say he has MBD....you should take him to a vet and get some calcium shots.

camimom is right. We've seen much more serious situations, however, this is something you need to address.

You say that he's been getting calcium for months. What about before that? It's possible that the damage was done earlier and good care has stopped or slowed it. But, really, a vet visit is in order to determine how bad it is and to possibly get some treatment.

Back
Top Bottom