Newbie question

Anilr16

Ive kept Chameleons for just about a year now and was simply wondering...when chameleons shed...does that mean better skin/color comes out? My male red rudis is currently shedding and has nice colors coming out on the parts that have completed shed. like his head/arms partial body. So what does a shed actually accomplish? Sorry if I come off dumb:eek:

Ive kept Chameleons for just about a year now and was simply wondering...when chameleons shed...does that mean better skin/color comes out? My male red rudis is currently shedding and has nice colors coming out on the parts that have completed shed. like his head/arms partial body. So what does a shed actually accomplish? Sorry if I come off dumb:eek:

A shed skin means your chameleon growing. The new scales are usually more colorful or vibrant because as chameleons grow older their colors become more fabulous. It's not exactly better skin, or even new skin. A shed won't heal a burn or serious skin damage so I wouldn't consider it new.

-Andrea

Cool! Well I cant wait to see his new colors, I love him! hehehe:D
Im borrowing a camera soon so should post some pics of him and my baby Rudis's!

How often are they supposed to shed???
I havent seen him shed that much.

When they are babies they grow a lot very quickly, and therefore shed a lot. Adults grow very very slowly, and should shed much less, but regularly.

Chameleons don't stop growing. So should always shed throughout it's lifetime.

shedding is hard to determine when it will exactly happen. As mentioned above in little guys, shedding occurs more often but as they reach sub-adult shedding begins to slow and once they reach adulhood it decreases dramatically. I hope this helps! Others can help you on this thread as well for sure. I just had a 10 month old male sambava shed 2 days ago, and an 10 month ambilobe shed a day after. I can keep you posted when they shed next to give you an idea. I'll send a friend request and let you know when the next shedding happens.

shedding is hard to determine when it will exactly happen. As mentioned above in little guys, shedding occurs more often but as they reach sub-adult shedding begins to slow and once they reach adulhood it decreases dramatically. I hope this helps! Others can help you on this thread as well for sure. I just had a 10 month old male sambava shed 2 days ago, and an 10 month ambilobe shed a day after. I can keep you posted when they shed next to give you an idea. I'll send a friend request and let you know when the next shedding happens.

Okay cool, yeah keep me updated about their shedding. I bought my guy around May,(not sure on his age, but he's an adult) and this week was the first time ive ever witnessed him going through a shed. Im super happy to know he's aging but bummed at the same time :/
Im looking for a female Red Rudis to hopefully breed them. I love this species and would love to see more of them. Is it bad to help them shed sometimes? Like if theres a loose piece by his eyes, is it bad to pull it off if its bothering him? jw folks

Is it bad to help them shed sometimes? Like if theres a loose piece by his eyes, is it bad to pull it off if its bothering him? jw folks

Yes it is, do not ever pull skin off. To help with shedding all you need to do is up the humidity and spray directly on the chameleon with warm water. Also watch for any complications, for example some chameleons have difficulty shedding the tips of their tails. It is possible for unshed skin to cut off circulation and can later lead to surgical amputation.

Yes it is, do not ever pull skin off. To help with shedding all you need to do is up the humidity and spray directly on the chameleon with warm water. Also watch for any complications, for example some chameleons have difficulty shedding the tips of their tails. It is possible for unshed skin to cut off circulation and can later lead to surgical amputation.

Yeah, ive been misting my guy with warm water and he seems to prefer it over cool water. Do the chameleons have a preference on the temperature of water. They seem to run away as soon as cold water touches them...but when its warm..they run for a sec. then just relax and drink:p

Yeah, ive been misting my guy with warm water and he seems to prefer it over cool water. Do the chameleons have a preference on the temperature of water. They seem to run away as soon as cold water touches them...but when its warm..they run for a sec. then just relax and drink:p

Warm water helps with shedding because it softens the skin and yes they prefer it over cold water. Think of their typical environment, it is warm and humid.

It depends. Some chams dont mind colder water as much as others. Just be careful, though, because if the water is too cold your chameleon can get a lung disease.

Back
Top Bottom