New Veiled Owner; Experienced Owners please look :)

Gregor

Hey everyone,

I stumbled upon these forums and thought it was awesome. I recently got my first Veiled and wanted to reach out to the pro's just to make sure I'm doing everything correctly from my prior research.

First off, my baby's name is Vladamir, It's a girl :/ ... I was set on the name before I got her and stuck with it, I mostly just call her "V" so she doesn't get mad at me :).

--As of right now, she's in a small wired cage which will be bigger tonight, I'm building her a fancy 5 star mansion which I'm sure she will love, it's 16" x 16" x 30" ish.

--The basking temp is low to mid 90's with plenty of leaves and such for her to hide under, and the cooler parts are in the low 80's.

-- She's eating mostly crickets "Calcium and Vit. D powdered daily", probably 15-20 throughout the day and she also eats a few mealworms a day with the occasional waxworm.

-- I have a water bowl in there which she does not touch because she's a DIVA and I know they don't like standing water. I also spray down the whole cages and all the leaves 3-4 times a day and keep a couple ice cubes up top to drip down a few times a day until I get a dripper or a waterfall.

-- Humidity is tough to keep up in New Jersey in th winter, so it is around 15-20% when dry in there, but when i spray everything down It shoots up to around 50% for an hour or two "3-4 times a day".

-- I'm using the green felt stuff for bedding, I have lots of branches and vines and all kinds of good climbing stuff, she is pretty active, Slow moving, but active.

-- I'm using a Repti Glo 5.0 UVB coil bulb along with my day heating bulb. I turn the UVB off about an hour before I turn my day heat light off and switch to the night bulb.

** Concerns **

-- When I move to a bigger cage, should I get a bigger light? I know people say she will move to a comfortable temperature herself, but i'm still nervous.

-- Any suggestions to keep the humidity up in the cage aside from spraying manually or buying a mister? I will buy a mister if that is the best bet, but I figured i'd ask for other suggestions.

-- Which is the best option out of the dripper, Ice cubes, and a waterfall?

** I may have left some stuff out, I'm trying to get this quick post in before class so hopefully I'll have some responses when I get home. Thanks in advance for the help and it's great to see all the chameleon lovers in a forum, I've only had mine for a short time and I love her already.

- Gregor

Do you have live plants? I know that helps with humidity. I dont think she is a "DIVA", I dont think any cham likes drinking from a bowl. IMO a dripper is the best way to go.

How old is she? basking temps seem quite high if she is only a baby as you say. And what is your night bulb? All lights should be turned off at night. Im sure more experienced keepers can provide greater help here.

I forgot to mention, from what I have been told, dusting crickets daily with calcium w/ D3 is not good and they can overdose on D3. Use Calcium withOUT D3 for all feedings and use "with D3" 2 x's a month.

Get a dripper, not a waterfall. You wouldn't want her drinking out of something she might poop in. Bacteria! Also, I hope you took the time to read Jann B's blogs for baby Veild's. If so, then you know about the three supplements and dusting schedule you will need to follow. Good luck and welcome to the forums!!!! Also most of prefer the Reptisun 5.0 tube versus the coil. Some members in the past have had some eye issues with coil bulbs, not all but some, just so you know!!

A few things...

As mentioned Cham's do not like to drink standing water, but some will if left sit and that is not good either because standing water can have bacteria also sometimes Chams will poop in it and then obviously for sanitary reasons you do not want the Cham drinking it. So there should be no standing water offered.

They should get thier moisture/water via mistings several times a day and a dripper. Water falls are a big no no in most people opinions as they are a breeding ground for bacteria. So nix the thought of a waterfall. I did not see that you had any type of subtrate on the bottom but subtrate is no good for the same reason.

So mistings and dripper is the way to go... it works well and is safe & effective. ;)

lol...

Get a dripper, not a waterfall. You wouldn't want her drinking out of something she might poop in. Bacteria! Also, I hope you took the time to read Jann B's blogs for baby Veild's. If so, then you know about the three supplements and dusting schedule you will need to follow. Good luck and welcome to the forums!!!! Also most of prefer the Reptisun 5.0 tube versus the coil. Some members in the past have had some eye issues with coil bulbs, not all but some, just so you know!!

Ha, I was typing the no waterfall and then answered the phone and yaped for a few, then sent this only to see you were on my brainwave a beat me to the punch! lol... Go Carol! :D

Thanks for the responses, just read the blogs and will get the proper powders and lighting etc.

I also see now that it's too hot from the blogs, she is only 3-4 months and I will get a lesser watt bulb.

I had one of those red night bulbs in there, but i guess thats no good either? It gets a little chilly in my house sometimes over night, maybe a heat emitter would work better?

I know shes not actually a "DIVA" but i just like calling her that because she is picky and i know they all are, I just think it's funny joking around about buying Gucci branches and Coach water bowls and such.

I will look into finding some live plants to throw in there for the humidity, I didn't know that would help and it sounds cool to have live stuff in there anyway. Any specific plants that should NOTTTT go in there?

Thanks again everyone.

http://www.flchams.com/safe_plant_list.asp Check out his website, there are a ton of plants on here that are listed as safe. The most popular plants we use in the enclousures are Hibiscus(which some veild's love to eat the flowers), pothos, ficus, ficus benjamin and also Shefflera(aka umbrella and arboricola). You cannot go wrong with any of these plants. The hibiscus are a little hard to keep indoors due to the fact that they flower. Some members have been successful with them a plant grow light(I think a 6500k, but don't quote me on that) All these plants you can get a home depot.

Last edited:
Awesome, you guys rock and thanks for the blogs, they were very very informative. My Cham is going to be a baller once she gets in her new cage i'm building and gets all these lives plants and a few adjustments.

We can't wait to see the "little divas' setup when it is all done! Be sure and post some pics!! I meant to type Plant grow light but typed platn. I am sure you figured that out! Just lost use of my left index finger due to using a potato peeler to peel some apples and carrots for my superworms! Let's just say that potato peelers slice through skin easily also! ouch! Ah, the things we don't do for our chameleons!!!

Back
Top Bottom