new to forum with new friend

Howdyco

here are some pics of our new cham......it's name is Flash (seemed unisex enough).

I was told that it is between 2-3 months old. The shop owner did not know much more than they were captive bred "panther" chameleons. I have some experience with veiled chams and decided to give this one a decent caring home.

Flash has been on a diet of crickets, fruit flies, silkworms and phoenix worms.
I am using some Calcium on the crickets and am gut-loading them with assorted veggies and flake fish food. Right now i am feeding Flash 5-8 items per day with the majority of the food being crickets.

We are using a drip system and because I live in the eastern portion of colorado, I am misting the cage down 4-5 times per day. I mist the plants and stuff as Flash does not like being misted directly. I am rooting cuttings of some ficus houseplants to use instead of the plastic ones. They should be ready to put in place in the next three days.

The daytime temps are between 75 deg. F (cool spot) and 85 deg. F (hot spot), and roughly 7-8 degrees cooler at night. Right now I am using a 5.0 UVB Reptisun full spectrum bulb with a 50-watt basking light.

Today, Flash did it's first shed for us. Started after it ate breakfast and was done before lunch. Roughly 2.5 hours start to finish.

I am excited to share - and sorry for the lousy pics.......I do not think Flash liked the camera. ;)

Any helpful thoughts on how best to care for Flash, or to tell Flash's sex or sub-group/heritage would be appreciated. I am a total novice with panthers and and help will also be appreciated.

Thanks,
Howdyco

Attachments

• Flash - pics 001.jpg
    Flash - pics 001.jpg
    165.5 KB · Views: 138
  • Flash - pics 005.jpg
    Flash - pics 005.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 154
Hard to tell what "type" of panther they are until they are older and start getting colors.

Looks like a female to me but I'm REALLY not sure.

Thank You for the responses.

Firstly, Sancho - YES, we are getting a screen enclosure in the next few weeks when finances allow. Flash was an "unexpected gift" from my kids who know how much I missed having my vieled cham after he passed a few years back. I am using his old "baby tank" for now. It does have a screen top.

cainschams and Brad Ramsey, thanks for the sexing info. Having no experience with panther chams I was really unsure. Although that does not matter to me or the family, we are happy with Flash regardless. ;)

Julirs and Brad Ramsey - I have discontinued the fish food. Thank You both. Years ago I was told fish flakes were good food for gut-loading, but the hobby has come along way in the last few years, I don't want to cause Flash issues, I hope to be a responsible owner. I'll try and ask more questions from those with better knowledge and more experience.

Brad Ramsey - the family told me Flash came from the Scales and Tails in West Denver/Lakewood. Obviously you are located in the Denver area. I am
in the SW Littleton area. ;)

Again, thank you.
Here is a quick pic from last night, after shedding and a late lunch.

Attachments

• Flash - pics 008.jpg
    Flash - pics 008.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 93
Welcome to the Forum! LLL Reptiles 24"x24"x48" high cages are a great price and would give him plenty of room as an adult. Read up on lighting with the search feature, lighting information has changed. Lucky are you to live near Brad!::D

Back
Top Bottom