new/shy chameleon won't eat??--- try stick feeding

del33

From time to time, I see people with new chams worry because their guy/girl hasn't eaten for days since being introduced into their new home. This is normal behavior due to stress and unfamiliarity to the animal in it's new surroundings and varies in intensity from one individual to another.

I wanted to share my way of getting my new chameleons to eat within the first day. I'm not claiming to have invented this trick because I'm sure I didn't, but I haven't noticed anyone make mention of it. All that's involved is a stick!! and feeders of course :D With crickets, all I do is remove the rear legs and put them on a bamboo kabob skewer (dowels would also work). This forces them to crawl on the skewer and move naturally like it was on a vine without the worry of them jumping off although it can be a balancing act. I found that doing this is the most effective way since the stick looks more natural than a cup, shiny metallic tweezers or fingers which usually scare them off. Being able to put a feeder right in front of them without getting your hands close keeps them calmer. Just don't shake your hands too much or you'll catapult the feeder off (ask me how I know) :rolleyes:... I've also offered hornworms, silks and dubia this way successfully. I think this is also better than free ranging at first because feeders can get lost or hide in the enclosure and usually the cham isn't quite brave enough to fully wander around his/her cage yet.. This method is "in your face" and the chameleon is programmed to react on instinct almost immediately and eat. If your cham accepts this way of feeding, they'll remember and by the 3rd or 4th time will be running towards the stick!! I just got a new panther baby today and had him eating immediately with the stick while a cup with feeders sat untouched for 3 hours..

I'm also not claiming that this will work with all timid chameleons but in my experience, it's always worked (3 month old Ambilobe and 2 carpet chameleons which are known to be very shy). Also if nothing else, it's good interaction and builds quick trust although it is a bit more work. Just thought I'd share.

Just for fun I attached pics. 2nd pic is my new guy munching!! :D

This is a great tip and something I may just try myself as my Mitsio is rather shy of me lately for no known reason! Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom