new mommy

Spunky

Hello! My name is Katie and I'm the new owner of a female veiled named Spunky. I've had her only about 2 weeks but totally love her! She seems to be doing well but seems to get upset when I open her terrarium. She eats and drinks just fine and explores alot but when I try to touch her or pick her up, she hisses and tries to snap at me. I'm hoping it's just because she's not too used to me yet and she'll get more comfy the more we interact. Anyone have any ideas or thoughts? Thanks for any feedback!

Chameleons are generally solitary, territorial creatures that do not care for and are stressed by interactions with ANYTHING-humans and other chameleons included. Since you are new to chameleons it might be helpful to make sure your husbandry is spot on to avoid future potential problems. Pictures of animals and cage are super-helpful! Welcome to the forums!

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Hi, welcome to the forum, and the wonderful world of chameleons!

I would give her some space for the time being, she's in a new place and needs time to adjust. When you do decide to approach her take it slow and as non-threatening as you can (don't reach from above, try to come from beneath. Don't grasp her, let her crawl on you're hand and don't make her feel trapped or "caught").

Before you get her out I would suggest just letting her get use to you being near her cage, you might try hand feeding and just holding your hand near the cage opening. The big thing is watch her, if she seems stressed back off and give her space and time.

With all that said she may or may not ever come around to handling. If she doesn't then only handle her when you absolutely have to (cage cleaning, vet etc)

Best of luck!

Thanks Max! I never try to approach her from her back, I know they feel threatened by this. I also know that some chameleons aren't "people friendly" and would just rather be left alone. While I would absolutely love for her to enjoy being handled, I do love just watching her and if she's more comfy just being left alone, that's what I'll do. I guess for now, I'll just take it slow and easy and see where we go from here!

This is what Spunky's house looks like. I feed her meal worms, which she doesn't seem to excited about and crickets, which she gobbles up. So far, she seems to eat an average of about 4-5 small crickets. I mist her home to help with humidity, but she seems annoyed when she gets misted herself. She does drink from water collected on the leaves from misting and I also use an ice cube to drip.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    017.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 83
I do not see a UVB light-which is essential. What kind of bulb do you have in the clamp lamp? What are your temps? Do you have substrate in the bottom? Mealworms are a bad staple feeder, and a young cham should be eating 10-15 well gutloaded crickets daily with the proper supplementation. That small Exoterra is good for now (minus the substrate), but she will quickly outgrow it.

I do not see a UVB light-which is essential. What kind of bulb do you have in the clamp lamp? What are your temps? Do you have substrate in the bottom? Mealworms are a bad staple feeder, and a young cham should be eating 10-15 well gutloaded crickets daily with the proper supplementation. That small Exoterra is good for now (minus the substrate), but she will quickly outgrow it.

I second this. Also when you get her next cage. Go with a all screen cage. Dont use glass after she outgrows this one.
Oh, and welcome. You are in the right place for help.

Try using a plastic cup with a couple little needle holes poked at the bottom to allow dripping. Find ice cubes are super cold for chams (I read somewhere their not a fan of cold cold water,... more warmer water) If im wrong with that, the cup methods def. a lot better, i find it last longer than ice cubes so you dont have to keep putting more on top :)

i'm so glad you guys are helping me out! i have a uvb light for her too, it just wasn't in that pic yet as that was the first day and i had just set up the terrarium. i've only ever seen her eat maybe 2 of the worms since i've had her. in addition to the small crickets she eats a couple of larger ones per day too. would that be sufficient? also, the bottom of her home has substrate and the last couple of days she's been kind of digging in it. thanks for the tip about the cup for dripping. i'll definitely start doing that for her. i just want her to be happy and healthy!

As a general rule you want cricket to be no longer than the width of the space between the eyes. From my understanding this is for two reasons, to reduce the chance of choking and impaction (like really bad constipation, which can be very dangerous, especially young lizards)

No doubt they can eat bigger but at lest while she's young it maybe best to err on the side of caution.

I'd also agree you would probably would be safest to get rid if the substrate, for the same reason (impaction risk, and choking), as for the digging I have no clue she's to young to be ready to lay, but do keep that in mind. When she gets older she'll need a laying bin.

Back
Top Bottom