New keeper in the UK

Itwas

Hi everyone,

I have always wanted to own a chameleon and now have the opportunity to do so. I have been researching plenty but have a few questions about the enclosures i would like to clear up before I purchase my new pet.

I understand the lighting setup needed but have read that mesh cages are best for housing chameleons and I was wondering if this is true for all locations? As I live in the UK, The North East especially, where it isnt exactly warm most of the time I thought it would be best to build a wooden and glass vivarium.

My plan is to house the baby chameleon in a smaller glass and mesh viv and then move it into the lager wooden one as required. I figure the wooden viv (3 sides, top & bottom wood with a glass front) would be easier to keep warm and humid and would be better than a full glass tank. I planned on putting in a number of vents for ventilation and also though of hooking up a small fan from a pc GFX card to a small solar panel to generate a tiny bit of airflow. does this sound like a good idea?

heres a pic of my planned vivarium.

Attachments

• viv.gif
    viv.gif
    10.1 KB · Views: 103
a wooden viv will be fine in our country but i would start with the one you will be keeping it in as an adult as they dont like change, live plants will help with the humidity, weeping fig,umbrella plant,hisbiscus and schefflera are all fine and can be found at b@q or home base.

the only problem with a big viv for a baby is finding food but i just used a small tub attached to a branch until they could hunt for themselves

good luck and welcome :)

Hi everyone,

I have always wanted to own a chameleon and now have the opportunity to do so. I have been researching plenty but have a few questions about the enclosures i would like to clear up before I purchase my new pet.

I understand the lighting setup needed but have read that mesh cages are best for housing chameleons and I was wondering if this is true for all locations? As I live in the UK, The North East especially, where it isnt exactly warm most of the time I thought it would be best to build a wooden and glass vivarium.

My plan is to house the baby chameleon in a smaller glass and mesh viv and then move it into the lager wooden one as required. I figure the wooden viv (3 sides, top & bottom wood with a glass front) would be easier to keep warm and humid and would be better than a full glass tank. I planned on putting in a number of vents for ventilation and also though of hooking up a small fan from a pc GFX card to a small solar panel to generate a tiny bit of airflow. does this sound like a good idea?

heres a pic of my planned vivarium.
Hey hey, welcome to the forum! I'm from the north east too, Newcastle. What part are you in?

I had my chameleon in a exo terra viv, which was glass and mesh on the top but i wanted to give her more room so bought her an exo terra all screen which is just under 5ft high. I have had no problem keeping her humidity up and the temps are great. I don't see why an exo terra all screen would not work for you either.

Welcome to the forums! Wow, there have been alot of people from the UK coming on board lately, but we are glad to have you!!! Enjoy your chameleon!:)

Welcome from me and Amy 'n' Tommy too! I am another UK member! I joined about 2.5 years ago and am so addicted now that I have to log in at least once a day!:D

hi, thanks for the replys and advice.

I think im gonna rethink my whole vivarium idea and either go for a wood and mesh cabinet or complete mesh cage although i must admit i still cant get my head around just having a mesh cage as i know how cold it gets around here.

on another note I was wondering how long a Chameleon would survive without the lighting and heat? I only ask as I live on a farm and during very bad weather we can experience power cuts lasting several hours and was wondering if this would severely harm it?

oh and Hi Dreamforthedead im in Yarm on Teesside.

I had a Vivexcotic AX36 that was wood and glass and im currently preparing that for my transfer from my baby cage and all i did was remove the bottom glass replace it with mesh. Also i cut two large holes at the top and fitted mesh to that. I then lined the walls in the viv with trelles made from branches from homebase and ive put several branches for climbing then added 2 umbrella plants a weeping fig and a devils ivy. Just need to get my lighting and heating fitted plus waiting on my mistking to come this week! I will try get some pic up for ya soon!

Your planned cage looks fine. I am assuming the top is wire mesh to allow light and water in, and hot air out? In which case you may not actually need the fan, though its a nice touch, you could just put more side vents in the lower half of the cage.
You will have to think about drainage as well - is there a drain in the bottom?

I use peg-board (zero VOC painted) for the sides of my cages. The small holes provide for plenty of air exchange, yet help retain heat and humidity better than a screen cage. Also more sturdy for attaching branches, feeding bowls, plants, etc

THey can survive without special lighting for awhile, but they do need to be kept warm. Veileds will tolerate the lower temps at night, but still need to warm up during the day. A few hours is unlikely to matter, but a couple days could if it was winter. You will want to have a plan, such as a generator or a fireplace or at the least a way to boil water for hot bottles.

Back
Top Bottom