New Hatchlings soon...

Ren

Ok the last clutch of veiled hatchlings did not go well........ What is everyones best ideas for the ultimate hatchling enclosure? Ill be making this out of wood and using it over and over.... I need some super tips here..... Size, how many per unit per size and so on.. calling you breeders out there I dot want to loose anymore little ones.... please hook me up with some pictures or ideas and lets see what i can build for the little ones... thanks everyone..

what i do is buy 4 of those rectangle plastic bins at walmart and screen the lid out.then put a small plant and some branches and a little fake floiage.these bins are only for the first week of life.then i took 2 small esu fresh air habitats and re-screen them with a fine mesh screen.

they do great in the bins and they after a week i put em in the small screen cage very few crix can escape then you just take the cage outside in the morning or afternoon if its not to hot you can even let em out all night for days i put mine in a shady spot to. then spray em a few times during the day mist em and feed em and they do really good.this last batch is soo much better then the last.you hatchlings should be strong right out of the egg.

Hatchling cages

This is what I use for hatchlings. Its simple and cheap to make also its small so they can find food with no problem. This is not my Idea but its what I use. I also keep them in a screened cage to make sure I have no escapes. I also provide shade as you can see but if it gets to hot I move the whole thing to the shade. You can keep 2 in each container and they can stay in there until they are 2 or 3 months. But I will tell you that this is not escape proof so you will need to take precautions.

NewpicJuly08024.jpg

NewpicJuly08025.jpg

NewpicJuly08023.jpg

NewpicJuly08022.jpg

NewpicJuly08021.jpg

NewpicJuly08020.jpg

Good stuff Dean, lol I had pretty much the same idea for my little ones once they hatch into my life. Thanks to Vincent and Farrah's site.

Hey Ren, I use small screen cages with 5-10 per cage.The plastic bin and gallon container are fine but as Dean said they are not escape proof, especially for fruit flies.I don't have time to babysit so the cages are more convienent for me. Good luck with the new batch.

Thanks for the ideas keep them coming, as I already have some of my own , taking a bit from each one of you and I think i may be on to something.... I already have some of the materials, but it isn't going to take a lot to do what im thinking... I will let you in and with pics when im 100% whats going down lol

What about substrate? Paper towels or do you even fool with it... i know it give the food places to hide sometimes...also Im in ohio, so my high temps right now are in the 85-95 range and humidity is 90% if these are to be indoors what temps should i keep them at and uvb right away?

I use the small screen cages from blubeastreptile there sized: 9x16x16". They work great.

Bria

Oh...I forgot to mention that the screen is tight, fruit flies and pinheads cant get out of it.

Brian

I think i have some old screen to work with right now but do you have a suggestion on type of screen?

I see, looking at your pics again i can see they came out of the box lol... I was thinking more in a roll though, I can take a piece of that to town and compare hole sizes in the mesh...

Now i got some flies from Petsmart and they were much bigger than the ones I got when I ordered from herpfood.com.... I am assuming they were different species or something?

Yes there are 2 sizes and I think 3 different species 2 are small and 1 is larger I don't know there specific name one starts Hydi and the other is Mega.

Ok 1st of the hatchlings is now 4 days old.... no others are sweating yet, kinda weird but I've heard weirder, is that a word? Anyways, new enclosure is almost complete will post a few pics, I never seem to get any during photos... but measurements are 18 inches deep 12 inches tall and 4 foot long all dived up to about 9x9x12... I am never working with screen materials again.... if it isn't wood im not working on it... lol I am currently making the wooden bottom and hinged top for the enclosure now, poly'ing it as we speak, well I'm not obviously the wife is I'm typing...it came out fairly well I think, except that the longer sides aren't the dimensions there were supposed to be because of the stretching of the screen and i fixed that with the wooden top... new pics to come... also Dean I would love to see your dart setup, hatchlings have put my frogs on back burner for now....

Back
Top Bottom