New Father of a baby Veiled

AMGChams

Hi I am not only new to this Forum but a new Father as well. I bought my little one about 2 or 3 weeks ago. My main concern right now is if she is eating enough. I think she is between 3 or 4 months old. I am feeding her a mix of crickets and small mealworms. She is eating between 5 to 7 a day. My wife seems to think that the crickets are medium size and maybe that is why she is not eating as many. I am asking for "small" crickets when I buy them but being new to this should I be asking for "pin heads"? Any suggestions? Also I have her housed in a 3'high x 3' long x 2' wide enclouser that is housed out side and we typically feed her in a feeder box that is much smaller so that we know how many she is actually eating instead of letting them loose in her huge cage. Oh also how can you guage how old she actually is?

my Avatar is a pic of her ... she is very shy and gets mad when i try to get the camara closer to her lol

Thank you for all your help. I honestly have no clue on how to post a photo on forums I have a photo saved on the computer here at work. If I had to guess I would say she is about maybe 3 inches nose to tip of tail.

Welcome & as Jann said pictures are helpful. I am rotten most of the time at posting them, someone else will help with that.

As for food get her some variety, you can order baby horn worms and baby silkworms form Mulberry farms, one of our sponsors. I would expect her to be eating more that she is. jmo

Thank you for all your help. I honestly have no clue on how to post a photo on forums I have a photo saved on the computer here at work. If I had to guess I would say she is about maybe 3 inches nose to tip of tail.

To post pictures,
1. you should first upload them on a website like photobucket or something similar
2.once you have the picture(s) posted on photobucket, click on one of your pictures in photobucket to make it larger
3. Rightclick the picture and select copy image URL
4. come onto chameleon forums, and click post in this thread.
5. above the textbox there will be a small yellow square with a mountain on it, when you move your cursor over it, it will say insert image.
6. Click insert image, a box will appear and it will say insert image URL.
7.Press ctrl+v to paste your previously copied URL and then click ok
8. you should have something like your images URL[IMG] in the textbox
9. You are done woohoo!
10. click submit reply :D

Hi and welcome from Gizzy and I too :D The egg laying bin is a definite must if you want to avoid major problems later. Does your new friend have a name yet ? I would also love to see some pics of her if you could get some. :D

Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects before you feed them to the chameleon with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it.

If you dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. (Some UVB lights have been known to cause health issues, so the most often recommended one is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light.) D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it.

Dusting twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while.

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs....so its important too.

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200604210...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/

Once a female becomes sexually mature its also important to provide an appropriate place for her to dig in the cage so she can show you whenshe's ready to lay eggs. Female veileds can produce eggs even when not mated.
This should help too...
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/2007/12/keeping-female-veiled.html

Sorry this is to long...but hope it helps.

Here she is. Her name is Tiny. My son named her after the cartoon Dinorsuar Train

Thank you again for all the information. I have the UVB bulb, drip system, and Calcium with D3 dust. I need to get just plain Calcium dust and Vit A. I made her cage from our old bathroom cabinet we were getting rid of. I cut out the sides and removed the front, back, top and bottom and replaced them with screen. I have 2 live plants growing in the cage a hibisucs, and a umburella plant. The cage is really big for her and we tried using a feeding cup suspended from the branches but because the cage is outside it attracted ants and we decided to just feed her in a smaller container. She is about 3 months old, the crickets I get for her are called "small" but they seem some what large to me so I guess that is why she is only eating 6 to 8 a day.

Last edited:
New DAD!!

Hey there big guy. Contrat's! Enjoy the little one. Read all you can and ASK questions! No question is wrong to ask. We will all help as much as possible. Get a closer picture! We all get excited to see new babies! AWWWWWWWWW. :):)

Baby Veilds!!!

Baby Veilds are the absolute cutest IMO! They look like little animation characters!!! :p

Just wanted to updat you all. Tiny is still doing great She from what every one has suggested is 3 months old. My Wife and I went to the Orlando Repticon and while there decided to get a 2 month old male to try and bread her with once she is ready in a year or so. His name is Yoshi. yes my son name him too lol. Thank you all for all your help I will post photos of Yoshi once I get a chance.

Congrats! I just got my veiled 2 days ago, he's only 3 weeks old! he's super tiny and just awesome, he shed yesterday and changed colour totally haha, he went from pale green to looking like a miniature adult, dark green with splashes of yellow stripes and mottled colours, he's beautiful and I am very proud to be his mama!:D

Back
Top Bottom