New Clorox Product... Opinions?

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
Interested in opinions. There is a new product out that you can buy at the grocery store made by Clorox Bleach. It's called "Clorox Anywhere Hard Surface, daily sanitizing spray." Claims it kills 99.9% bacteria including Salmonella choleraeusuis, Staphylococcus aureas, Klebisiella pneumoniae, Streptococcus Pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis, Escherichia coli, and Salmonella typhi.

Now the cool thing about this product is that it claims to be gentle enough to use around kids, pets, and food; no rinsing necessary; no harsh fumes; and leaves no harmful residue. It is even color safe. You can also clean baby toys and dog dishes with it and claims to not be harmful (without rinsing). I tested it on some crickets in a small container, and there was no reaction. Then tested on worms, no reaction. I cleaned some empty cages with it and seems to clean well and not leave a strong smell.

Would be pretty cool to use as a cleaner if it were not harmful to chameleons. I'm starting to believe that it could possibly be safe to use as it claims to be. And very easy to just pick up at Walmart or the grocery store in the cleaning section. Sure would be handy to use when cleaning the bottom of cages out.

Any thoughts?
 

LunaC

New Member
I saw the ads on TV too...and as embarrassing as it is to admit, the first thing that popped into my mind was, "wow, can I use it in my cham cages?"
I first tested it on my boys....they lived. Then the dogs...they lived. Next, the bird..she survived too. I haven't yet used it on my turts or chams. Too risky LOL. But it sure would be remarkable if it truly is so safe and so simple for our cages!
 

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
Ingredients: Active Ingredient: Sodium Hypochlorite - 0.0095%

Then says other ingredients are 99.9905% without description. (Available chlorine - 0.0009%)
 

Brad

Administrator
Staff member
This would be very nice to use if safe for chameleons. I have not seen the tv commercials, but I checked out their site and they are advertising it for use on baby toys.

Then says other ingredients are 99.9905% without description
hehe :rolleyes:
Pretty amazing that it can be used in all these places, yet still kills 99.9% of bacteria. Would be nice if it only killed the bad bacteria; we need some of that stuff.
 
I wouldn't bother with this product - just buy a gallon of regular clorox and a spray bottle, dilute it to the same concentration (I guess a tablespoon per quart of water - the math would be simple), and you're good to go.

I'm sure it works very well - I've been using it for years.
 

lele

Avid Member
Does anyone use Nolvasan?

Seems to be the preferred b/c it is totally safe for pets (and better for the environment than bleach is ;) I know that vets use Nolvasan. It can be pricey intially but it comes in concentrate so last foreverNolvasan. Just a suggestion ;)

Here's the best price I have found and as a first time customer they usually give a $5 discount to boot! So that covers shipping - very nice company to deal with.
 

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
Looks to me as if either method would work fine. Mix and go or have it premixed already.

Seems pretty handy to me though... ;)
 
Any difference in effectiveness between generic chlorhexidine vs. chlorhexidine diacetate(Nolvasan)? OR is Nolvasan hjust a "brand name" and therefore more expensive?

I'd just use diluted bleach for disinfecting "stuff' but I sure as heck won't be soacking my animals in it - though I doubt it's really BAD for them...
 

Prism Chameleons

Established Member
With any bleach product I use for sanitizing and/or cleaning, I usually let the item soak a bit (like the cage floor) and then give a very good rinse. I just feel safer cleaning that way. Using regular bleach has more of an odor, which since I can smell and if it strong for me, I'm sure the chameleons can smell it as well.

Eric is right: Dilute the bleach when cleaning as he recommended if just using bleach + water.

With something that has to be sanitized due to some type of illness, etc., I'd recommend soaking the item (like a vine or something of the sort) for at least 15 minutes or longer, rinsing VERY well, and then letting it dry in the sunlight prior to using it again.

These other products appear to be safe, and when I have used it on things, it has less odor, which is nice. And it's convenient for those who don't want the hassle of diluting a solution.

It looks like both are acceptable.
 
Top Bottom