New chameleom species - and you thought pygmies were small!!

ferretinmyshoes

Veterinarian
Staff member
Meet the world's tiniest chameleon

A species of chameleon small enough to easily perch on a match head has been discovered on a tiny island off Madagascar, a group of scientists has announced.
In addition to the discovery of Brookesia micra, now the tiniest chameleon ever discovered, the researchers also announced the discovery of three additional tiny chameleon species.

Adult males of the B. micra species grow to only just over a half-inch (16 millimeters) from nose to bottom, making them one of the smallest vertebrates ever found on Earth.

From nose to tail, adults of both sexes grow to only 1 inch (30 mm) in length.

That's even smaller than Brookesia minima!

(Not my picture. Click it for the source)

I can't imagine how tiny the hatchlings would be if that's an adult!

Last edited by a moderator:
I want one too! Actually UI want like ten!( that way i can always find at least one in the cage, hehe)

though I agree, i wouldnt want to take it out of its natural habitat.

Though i wonder if some were collected to breed in captivity to try to repopulate...

I want one too! Actually UI want like ten!( that way i can always find at least one in the cage, hehe)

though I agree, i wouldnt want to take it out of its natural habitat.

Though i wonder if some were collected to breed in captivity to try to repopulate...

I'd love to have one of these guys, but that's true about keeping it in its true home. Maybe if they were popular we could all have some. Lol. I dont know howd you ever see the babies. Or what youd feed them. Haha.

And there's three other new species of pygmies besides this one. Chris Anderson has a thread about it.

I'd love to have one of these guys, but that's true about keeping it in its true home. Maybe if they were popular we could all have some. Lol. I dont know howd you ever see the babies. Or what youd feed them. Haha.

And there's three other new species of pygmies besides this one. Chris Anderson has a thread about it.

I saw that too. crazy tiny these little ones.
youd feed the hatchlins gnats.. those are smaller than fruit flies.. haha

I saw that too. crazy tiny these little ones.
youd feed the hatchlins gnats.. those are smaller than fruit flies.. haha

or springtails :p but i wonder if thats a true adult. they might get bigger or it may depend on sex ect.

I think that is then at adult size. Lol. They're amazing. And adorable. Cutest pygmy by far. Wonder how many wild ones there are over there.

Back
Top Bottom