New Cham Owner

SamMcDoograh

Hello everyone,

We got our new Cham leo yesterday, and I already adore him. However, I am concerned about him a little. I think he is just shedding, but I just want to make sure and thought I'd ask some more experienced cham owners. Hes got big patchys of white flaky stuff on his head and a little bit of skin around one eye that looks dead, and he keeps doing this weird puffing in and out thing with his eye. Is he just shedding or should I be concerned? I have attached some pictures of his eye and head. I probably just worry to much lol, but this is the first reptile I have ever had so this is all new to me. Im reading up on a lot of care sheets and info, but I wanted to get some advice from you smart people :)

Here's some more info about Leo

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - I was told he is a panther chameleon, male, they told me hes an adult around 2 years old, but hes not that big so I dont know if that age is exactly right.
Handling - We just got him monday, and we've let him adjust a little bit but we've handled him a few times while adjusting his cage. He's already started feeding from hand, and he's already climed up my husbands arm and sat right on top of his head lol.
Feeding - Right now we are feeding him crickets. We are trying to keep the feeding schedule the previous owner had of 6 crickets a day or 12 every other day.
Supplements - We got zoo med repti calcium and were told to dust his crickets once a week.
Watering - We mist atleast 3 to 4 times a day with a big mister we got from Petco. We do this 2 to 3 minutes each time. I see him licking the leaves everyonce in awhile, so Im assuming he is drinking
Fecal Description - We just cleaned his cage tonight, and his poop was a light brown with a white stringy part on the end. We just got him yesterday, we are looking for a vet in our area to take him to get a check up just to make sure he is healthy.
History - Didnt get much info from the previous owner. He sold him to us because he was starting a second job and wouldnt have time to take care of him.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - I am not happy with the cage we have right now, but it will have to do until i get paid at the end of this month and can buy him a better one. The guy that we got him from sold it to us. Its an all screen cage, about 2'X2'X3' Its too small I know, we are working on getting him a better one so he has more room to have fun around.
Lighting - we are using reptiglo lighting. I bought him a heat bulb its 100 watts, and his UVB light is a tropical light because thats what was recommended to us.
Temperature - The cage sits at around 80-84 degrees, the lowest spot is around 75, the basking spot is around 90-96 ish. I have a humidity gauge and temp gage in his cage.
Humidity - Im having problems with my humidity. We have four plants in his cage right now, all alive. We mist several times a day, but we cant seem to get his humidity above 40 %. I am going to buy him a mister or fogger once i have the funds later this month. Is this ok for now?
Plants -Yes we had fact sheets listing safe plants to use, so we pulled from there. I cant remember the exact names of the plants we used. one is a christmas cactus, because in texas in december its hard to find a lot of plants lol.
Placement - We have him located in the front room. Normally its just us walking through, and so far he hasnt seemed to mind. We have his cage up off the floor sitting on our desk he is probably about 4 to 5 feet off the floor.
Location - I live in Texas in the DFW area.

Attachments

• eye.jpg
    eye.jpg
    230.4 KB · Views: 103
  • leo head 1.jpg
    leo head 1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 109
Back
Top Bottom