New baby veiled!

garcraw4

Chameleon Info:
•Your Chameleon - Veiled Chameleon, Male, Just got him today! His name is Hulk.
•Handling - He is afraid of us, and hides so none yet.
•Feeding - He hasn't eaten yet, he is still exploring his new environment. We have crickets and mealworms.
•Watering - We have misted his cage a few times to get humidity going and have a Big dripper that runs throughout the day.
•Fecal Description - He has pooped once that was brown with white in it.
•History - We beleive he is somewhere between a month and two months. He is very small.

Cage Info:
•Cage Type - Screen 65 gallon
•Temperature - Analog, plus laser temps range around 75, basking is 80-83
•Humidity - Varies between 35-45, when misting goes to 55-60
•Plants - Pothos, Umbrella tree, fake plant.
•Placement - Corner of room, no fans, nor high traffic area.
•Location - North Carolina

We are trying to learn on how he acts and how we should go about things. He has been very active, which seems to be very good. We ordered him from Cali so we are letting him kind of keep the same lighting schedule. He hasn't eaten yet, we are feeding out of the cup he came in so we can monitor what and what not he is eating. It wasn't a good experience with the shipping...But he seems good! Any help what so ever would be oh so swell!!!

from what you desecribed..you r doing a great start:)

could you post pics of your entire enclosure?

and wat lights do you use?(should have one basking bulb about 60-75 watts, and a LINEAR repti-sun or repti-glow uvb tube light)

do you have supplements?( need calcium without d3 powder, calcium with d3 powder, and a multvitamin

here is an example i use of supplement schedule...

repcal without d3- most feedings

repcal with -2 or 3 times a month

herptivite- 2 0r 3 times a month...

and when older give him some nice outdoor sunshine:cool:...it does wonders:cool:

i have the linear one, 5.0 going across the enclosure, then the basking light as well. I'm using all the calcium of different types as you explained. in another post i posted the entire enclosure, but since then it has changed up. he is sleeping right now so i don't want to disturb him but here is a link to it.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/what-else-do-i-need-50859/

since then, i lowered the basking bulb, cleaned up the moss in the right corner, added a pothos in the left corner, and that's about it!

It's morning here, we just got him to actually come to us! He hasn't found his feeding spot so i got tweezers and got some small crickets out and started feeding! He ate 8 this morning and i plan on feeding again tonight. He is doing really well and very active. He is drinking frequently and eating as well. He still hides a little bit but i think he will get use to us. He is free roaming in my room on his little tree right now just hanging out while i get some work done! It's very exciting to see him doing his thing and i can't wait until he grows up!!! I'll hopefully be able to upload some pictures a little later to show how cute little Hulk is.

Congrats on the new veiled. Does he have spurs on the back heels?

You might have to free range the food at first to get him to eat. I wouldn't use tweezers, he could injure his tongue.

Hey looks like your off to a great start! They can sometimes not eat when they are adjusting to a new home. Don't be too alarmed as they can go sometime before they starve. So glad he's being let free to explore, this will really encourage him to interact with you. Hand feeding is also another excellent way to build a trust between you two. Keep up the great work and keep us posted!

Welcome to the world of chameleons!

Here's some information to start you off.......
Exposure to proper UVB, appropriate temperatures, supplements, a supply of well-fed/gutloaded insects, water and an appropriate cage set-up are all important for the well-being of your chameleon.

Appropriate cage temperatures aid in digestion and thus play a part indirectly in nutrient absorption.

Exposure to UVB from either direct sunlight or a proper UVB light allows the chameleon to produce D3 so that it can use the calcium in its system to make/keep the bones strong and be used in other systems in the chameleon as well. The UVB should not pass through glass or plastic no matter whether its from the sun or the UVB light. The most often recommended UVB light is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light. Some of the compacts, spirals and tube lights have caused health issues, but so far there have been no bad reports against this one.

Since many of the feeder insects have a poor ratio of calcium to phosphorus in them, its important to dust the insects before you feed them to the chameleon with a phos.-free calcium powder to help make up for it. (I use Rep-cal phosphorus-free calcium).

If you dust twice a month with a phos.-free calcium/D3 powder it will ensure that your chameleon gets some D3 without overdoing it. It leaves the chameleon to produce the rest of what it needs through its exposure to the UVB light. (Some UVB lights have been known to cause health issues, so the most often recommended one is the long linear fluorescent Repti-sun 5.0 tube light.) D3 from supplements can build up in the system but D3 produced from exposure to UVB shouldn't as long as the chameleon can move in and out of it. (I use Rep-cal phos.-free calcium/D3).

Dusting twice a month with a vitamin powder that contains a beta carotene (prOformed) source of vitamin A will ensure that the chameleon gets some vitamins without the danger of overdosing the vitamin A. PrEformed sources of vitamin A can build up in the system and may prevent the D3 from doing its job and push the chameleon towards MBD. However, there is controversy as to whether all/any chameleons can convert the beta carotene and so some people give some prEformed vitamin A once in a while. (I use herptivite.)

Gutloading/feeding the insects well helps to provide what the chameleon needs. I gutload crickets, roaches, locusts, superworms, etc. with an assortment of greens (dandelions, kale, collards, endive, escarole, mustard greens, etc.) and veggies (carrots, squash, sweet potato, sweet red pepper, zucchini, etc.)

Calcium, phos., D3 and vitamin A are important players in bone health and other systems in the chameleon (muscles, etc.) and they need to be in balance. When trying to balance them, you need to look at the supplements, what you feed the insects and what you feed the chameleon.

Here are some good sites for you and your parents to read...
http://chameleonnews.com/07FebWheelock.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200605020...Vitamin.A.html
http://web.archive.org/web/200604210...d.Calcium.html
http://www.uvguide.co.uk/
http://raisingkittytheveiledchameleon.blogspot.com/
http://web.archive.org/web/200601140...ww.adcham.com/

Cool, I also got a baby veiled about a week ago and he was 3 weeks when I got him. He is so small but today he looks a bit bigger than when I first got him. He's really fun to watch. I haven't fed him crickets out of my hand yet.

Thank you everyone

I stopped using tweezers and started just feeding him out of my hand. He really doesn't mind me at all. I think it's because he knows i have his food! I let a couple crickets browse in the cage and i couldn't see them in 10 minutes so i'm assuming there all gone! I have a tree set up by my window and he'll climb up it and sit on the blinds looking out to the road. He won't move around or anything, just stare. I'm so excited and I know everything I know from you guys on here. So thank you everyone! I couldn't of done it without you. His age i'm not really sure about though. He is very tiny so i want to say he just a month old. I think he has spurs on his back legs. It's hard to tell honestly. He is the joy of my life. :D

Back
Top Bottom