Needle nails!!

CalaMala

Is there a way to trim or file chams nails...I get pokies and stabbed every time I hold Sayid or he walks up and down my arms and legs.....Just wondering

I was thinking about getting one of those graveled bird perches but I don't know if he would even climb on it???

I wouldnt file the chams nails. they need them to hang on to branches. If I was you, i'd just wear a glove rather than do possible harm to your cham.

I get red marks on my skin when my cham climbs on my arm. However, that's what I signed up for when I got my cham. Chameleons need these claws in order to climb- they do not have the same foots structure of geckos.

No claws/clipped claws = hard time climbing screened surfaces or gripping on branches. Considering how chams live in trees and branches all their lives, doing anything to their claws is unthinkable.

It's like when people declaw cats-if you can't handle the claws, don't get a cat.
Not trying to be harsh, just a pet peeve of mine.

Get used to it or wear gloves, it's that simple. If you do handle your cham gloveless, make sure to wash the area he climbed (your arm, hand, etc) with soap and water. It's always a good idea to disinfect your arm after handling, especially if your cham gets a good run up your arm and digs in.

Last edited:
I get red marks on my skin when my cham climbs on my arm. However, that's what I signed up for when I got my cham. Chameleons need these claws in order to climb- they do not have the same foots structure of geckos.

No claws/clipped claws = hard time climbing screened surfaces or gripping on branches. Considering how chams live in trees and branches all their lives, doing anything to their claws is unthinkable.

It's like when people declaw cats-if you can't handle the claws, don't get a cat.
Not trying to be harsh, just a pet peeve of mine.

Get used to it or wear gloves, it's that simple. If you do handle your cham gloveless, make sure to wash the area he climbed (your arm, hand, etc) with soap and water. It's always a good idea to disinfect your arm after handling, especially if your cham gets a good run up your arm and digs in.

Completely agree

I have some chams with grips like steel. Most for some reason seem to learn they have no need to grip me that tight. Just try to ensure the cham never feels it is in danger of falling or that it is threatened. Don't hold them from the top, don't grab them, and don't force them to do things they don't want to do. Those few things will increase the comfort for the chameleons and mine seem to grip a bit less hard. jmo

Thanks for the input...that is why I love this forum. I def. do not want to do the "wrong" thing. And I don't mind the pokies or the red marks..they don't last, I was just wondering. I know I had to trim my iguanna's nails from time to time because they curled under. Didn't know if chams were the same or not. None the less, I will not!! :D

That's what we're here for! We're all constantly learning off each other.

It's the little details that make all the difference. Unfortunately, if you're a first time cham owner (such as myself), it's a pretty steep learning curve with a lot on the line. That's why it's best to learn from all the people here (understand their advice, mistakes, etc) and to go forwards from there. Reptile husbandry has come a long way in the last decade and we're on the forefront of it all!

CHARGE!!

(ok, I admit I got carried away there..)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom