Need some help with a complaint

WelshOneEmma

Hello everyone, been a long time since I was on!

Anyway, was in a store today that sells reptiles (went in to get filters for the fish tank) and saw they had a young cham and just saw red. Asked to speak to the staff in charge (got a kid who normally deals with the plants) and i just lost it with him. I plan to email the store manager tomorrow complaining, but want to make sure I am not talking out of my ass first!

So, the things i have complained about were:

1 - UV light on top of glass / plastic screen
2 - coil uv light in enclosure
3 - ceramic light in cage but not warm (i insisted he open the cage so I can check)
4 - young female at bottom of cage with eyes closed (so blatantly sick)
5 - cham very thin - should you be able to see bones in tail?
6 - small tub of waxies in corner front of tank
7 - no thermostat to regulate temp
8 - moss on floor
9 - lots of poo in moss

I wanted to check that before I lay into them about these things (for all the good it will do!) I wanted to check in that in the many months I have been away, that suddenly coil UVs etc are now ok!

So the main points I want to confirm is about the coil light, the uv not going through glass/plastic, need for proper thermostat, that even if a cham needs feeding up, it needs more than just waxies, the point about the moss and the use of ceramic lights. I also wanted to confirm that you should not see the skin sticking to the bones in the tail? the legs were also very thin, but when I had Hugo when young he had skinny legs too! so dont want to give them the excuse its normal!

Thanks in advance!

You are spot on, sorry to hear you get the same crap in your pet stores that we do. Hope you can help that cham.

You are spot on, sorry to hear you get the same crap in your pet stores that we do. Hope you can help that cham.

I am actually going to suggest to the manager that they come on here and learn how to look after them! will be interesting to see how corporate the response is!

I am actually going to suggest to the manager that they come on here and learn how to look after them! will be interesting to see how corporate the response is!

I've found that dealing with pet shops takes a bit of finesse the first time you approach them. I usually give them ONE chance to learn about the chams they sell and only one. If I start off all upset and angry they tend to tune me out as a crackpot. After all, unless the particular employee knows me already why should they listen to anything I say? If I sort of work up to the concerns in a polite friendly way (commenting on how much I have learned about the chams I already own, how much work and preparation they took, how much I enjoy them on their terms, etc) I can establish myself as a caring source of good information for the store staff. It ends up giving me a better chance to educate and cooperate rather than getting ignored. Always offer them a source of impartial information that they can verify for themselves...lends what I am saying some credibility and hopefully someone will get intrigued and read further.

If they don't act for the good of their chams THEN I warn them I will report their poor care to authorities, boycott their store, etc.

Back
Top Bottom