NEED IMMEDIATE HELP very sick chameleon

Rachgreens

hey guys my Nosy Be male or female cham is looking like she/he is dead. She/he looked normal brownish colors with some blue tint today in the morning and i noticed her/him at 5ish with extremely sunken eyes all white and looking very bony. He/She is about 2-3 months old and no vets in my area want to help me with her/him because of its size. I have it as of now in a 20 gallon tank, until he/she hits 5 months and ill move it into a screen cage. Temp is usually 70-80, humidity is at 50-60 i use a uva night light bulb and a uvb reptisun 5.0 bulb. about 8 1/8 dusted crickets with RepCal calcium. I put her/him in the shower for a little to see if it was water and when she/he was in there it opened its mouth and stuck out its tongue a bit. What can i do?!?!?! i am soooo affraid! here is a picture of my cham.

EDIT; it just tried to take a poo and it was one black dot, same thing earlier with a little dot of urate
his/her eyes also wont open. sometimes when there is some water on her face she/he will open one, but not in the past hour

Attachments

• Victoria.jpg
    Victoria.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 541
I am really sorry, she doesn't look to good. My best advice would be to consult a vet

https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

I know you shouldn't really be using a light at night, but I dont think that would cause her to go down hill. Is there anything in the bottom of the cage? She may have gotten dirt or the stuff at the bottom and it could have cause impaction in her stomach.

My guess is impaction, its very common in small chameleons that have substrate on the bottom of their cage or the feeders you are using are too large. She is in very very bad shape :(, you need to get her to a vet A.S.A.P. The best thing you can do is provide as much moisture and humidity as possible to help her insides loosen up, spray her down with very warm water for a long time, however small chameleons can also drown when you do this so use caution. Did you buy this chameleon or breed it? Babies this young are very hard to take care of without proper knowledge and experience, so don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes these little guys just don't make it :(

I am really sorry, she doesn't look to good. My best advice would be to consult a vet

https://www.chameleonforums.com/veterinarian-resources-67/

I know you shouldn't really be using a light at night, but I dont think that would cause her to go down hill. Is there anything in the bottom of the cage? She may have gotten dirt or the stuff at the bottom and it could have cause impaction in her stomach.

Well she was deficating normally before today and i put a towel for flooring, i cup feed so i dont need to find crickets in the towel.

My guess is impaction, its very common in small chameleons that have substrate on the bottom of their cage or the feeders you are using are too large. She is in very very bad shape :(, you need to get her to a vet A.S.A.P. The best thing you can do is provide as much moisture and humidity as possible to help her insides loosen up, spray her down with very warm water for a long time, however small chameleons can also drown when you do this so use caution. Did you buy this chameleon or breed it? Babies this young are very hard to take care of without proper knowledge and experience, so don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes these little guys just don't make it :(

I got it from LLLReptiles in oceanside about 2 months ago. Idk how she could be impacted because i feed her really small food.

in all honesty i would be very surprised if the lil mite makes it.i had one of simiar age as my first chameleon,and when it got to that weak stage he seemed to just give up the fight.i hope i'm wrong:(
Babies this young are very hard to take care of without proper knowledge and experience, so don't be hard on yourself. Sometimes these little guys just don't make it :(
this is so very true

saying i dont know what im doing isnt going to help, i have raised a healthy female veiled for 8 months now. Just tell me what i can do

None of us have implied that you don't know what your doing? I am almost certain that your cham is suffering from impaction. Fill one of these out.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.
Current Problem - The current problem that you are concerned about.

My guess is your baby is not going to make it. That is an extremely dehydrated baby and you can see every bone in it's body. To me it looks like it has never eaten. Mealworms are horrible feeders-have you seen the cham poop daily? The light on at night certainly could have caused a large part of this as it is super easy to dehydrate them at this age. What re you using to measure temps-that baby looks cooked.

Hi,

Did this happen over night that he/she started looking like this? You need to really be careful with 20g glass tanks with juveniles if you aren't keeping close eyes on the temps. (there is no airflow so heat builds and builds) There is no reason for a night time bulb unless your house is getting below 60 deg Fahrenheit. It is actually beneficial for your chameleons metabolism to slow down at night from a temperature drop.
Now, I know you want to know what to do now, or more so what can be done to save your little one, and right now its not looking good. Showering is not a good option really, I would get some really warm water in your mist bottle and do a thorough misting. You can also try to drip some pedialyte from a syringe into the mouth of your cham (drip not squirt) If a vet won't see you there is not much else that you can do besides cross your fingers and learn from this experience.

I hope things work out for you and your Cham,

Todd

I don't undersand how he could look like this overnight? Has he been eating? He looks like he has not had no ffood or water for a week, I see maybe a 20% chance of that poor guy making it. I would get him to the vet. The best of luck to you

I'm afraid I do not have much hope for this animal.
I'm sorry.
What type of UVB light have you been using?

-Brad

The cham does look very small...i think you need to fill out the health forum as well so eberyone can try and do something to help him/her. But like a few others have said he/she does not look well at all. Looks very dehydrated and way way skinny. Im sorry for the bad news:(

This is how my Nosy Be panther looked when he died.
I'm sorry. The outlook isn't looking very good for her.

Perhaps you got an already sick chameleon, since you said you already kept another healthy.

Back
Top Bottom