need help quick!!!!!

bugboy

Established Member
my panther chameleon doesnt look good at all. i went to feed him today and saw his eyes sunken in to the max and he seems really weak. he always has food and water and i dont know what to do or if i can even do anything. please help as quick as possible. thanks.

If you think he looks that bad I would get him to the vet ASAP then fill out the form and we can let you know what to improve.

Do you have any pics?

cage-screen length 2' width 1' height 30 inches
lighting-100w bulb emits heat and uv also 75w night 12 hours each
dont know temps
mist the cage 3 times a day also have an umbrella tree for extra humidity
not located near any busy areas

cham is a panther male about 4 months old
feed him crickets every day throw about 7 in there and dust them gets fed shortly after daylight turns on and i gave him about 3 tiny hornworms
dust with calcium and reptivite
water with cup and ice cubes
feces are normal looking
eyes are extremely sunken in and closed most of the time and he seems very weak

I would turn the night time 75watt light off at night. They are ok to get to about 68 at night. Also I would change the ice cube method to a cheapo dripper..about 12 bucks. Try to mist him 3 times a day and it sounds like you may be dusting too much. Give us a little more specifics with your supplementation (what brands and how often) and you have to find out your temps.

-chris

When you mist, how long do you mist him for? What is the color of his poop?

Is the height of the enclosure 12 inches? or is it 30 inches?

If you're basking bulb is 100 watts and the height of the enclosure is 12 inches, that may be too hot. That's why it's important you know what the temps are.

calcium is bone aid (five times a week) and zoo med reptivite (twice a week)
his poop is a dark brown with the white part thats the pee.
the height is 30 inches.

Do you mist him or do you just use the cup and ice cubes? The zoo med is the calcium w D3 correct? It sounds to me like you may be giving him too much calcium and too little water which is hard on their kidneys. I would give him a good 15 minute misting...(personally I am not a big fan of putting chams in the shower but you could do that as well).

-chris

calcium is bone aid (five times a week) and zoo med reptivite (twice a week)
his poop is a dark brown with the white part thats the pee.
the height is 30 inches.

Ok there is no yellow in his poop right?

Does the skin along his sides have lateral folds? wrinkled skin?

I can only guess he's dehydrated due to the sunken eyes. If he's dehydrated he's obviously going to be weak.

Once I observed my veiled's eyes were a little sunken and his poop has some yellow in it so I increased the misting sessions ( he obviously wasn't happy with a 24 hr dripper and 1 misting session of 48 oz of water ) , gave him a shower and fed him some juicy hornworms.

Does he drink? Do you see him drink? How long do you mist him for?

I use a 50 watt basking bulb in a 36 inch enclosure. The bulb is 9 inches away from the basking spot and it reaches at the highest 88F.

You might want to get a cheap thermometer and humidity gauge.

At this point I would get an appt with the vet cuz it's not sounding too good and I can only speculate as to what the problem is :(

Definitely get him to a vet as soon as you can...

A couple more issues I notice that should be addressed.

ighting-100w bulb emits heat and uv also 75w night 12 hours each
dont know temps
What is the Brand of this bulb that emits both heat and UVB... I have heard nothing but bad things about these kinds of bulbs and the best thing for you chams would be a Reptisun 5.0 tube style flourecent fixture, with a dome light for basking(You can even use the regular 60w house light for this, cheap and it gets the temps to the right level)... And that brings me to the temps... You really need to buy yourself some kind of digital hygrometer/thermometer to monitor Temps and Humidity as both are critical elements in the Chams habitat. If either one is too high or too low, its a big problem and could cause major issues.

I would definately review your supplementing schedule ... He does need them dusted every day. I don't consider myself knowledgable enough to provide you with the proper schedule for a baby as it has been a long time since I have kept a four month old... but I am sure somebody will chime in.

Good Luck... Please try to make it to a Vet... and keep up the research.. you can learn a lot here.

sorry for the late response. last night i found him looking even worse so i took him out and he was so far gone. he died overnight. it sucks but thanks for the quick responses and i'll take into consideration the things you all have said.

Awww thats so sad. Sorry for your loss. If you plan on getting another perhaps you may consider an autopsy. You could see what was wrong and could improve it for your next cham

That's very sad news.. I'm so sorry to hear that..

That's what I feared when you said "his eyes are sunken to the max"

i got him from screameleons. if you have ever dealt with vincent he has a lot of knowledge. i sent him an e-mail telling him what happened and if he has any insight on what may have happened. i'm definately purchasing another one, and hopefully things will not go as bad as they did. its disheartining because it happened all in one day but i guess i'll just use the knowledge i gained and keep this from happening again.

If the "cup and ice cube" method is all you were using that could have caused your problem right there? The water from the ice is cold and many chams won't go for that. Were you not misting at all? Sorry for your loss-it's no fun to lose them.

Back
Top Bottom