Need advice--another panther with hind leg paralysis

ohiohousewife

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Wood frame with screen on 3 sides. ~1.5' deep x 3'wide x 6' high
Lighting - 2 100w domes 6" away from top perch, with a reptisun 5.0 also 6" from top. lights on at 6am, off at 5pm
Temperature - I have a digital temp gauge with a basking spot of ~85 degrees, ambient temps of 75 degrees. overnight, temps drop to 65 degrees
Humidity - Humidity levels are between 40% and 60%. He has live plants and coconut husk to try to maintain levels. He is watered every 3 hours for 30 sec, and misted 1-2x/day for 3-4 min.
Plants - pothos, benjamin ficus, umbrella plant
Placement - nontraffic corner of our main level. heating vent underneath helps keep ambient temps stable although it compromises humidity, height is 6'
Location - central ohio

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male ambilobe about 1 year old in my care for 9 months.
Handling - rarely handle cham. maybe once a week for a quick check over
Feeding - appetite has slowed greatly since nov--figured it was a winter hunger strike. I offer horn, silk, butter and phoenix worms. He prefers supers. He only eats one or two every other day. Gut load with diet from the forum including bee pollen, dried milk, blue-green algae, and fresh veggies/fruit.
Supplements - Repti-cal calcium 3x/week, with d3 2x/month, multivitamin 1x/month
Watering - Habbamist 30 seconds every 3 hours, one or two good mistings by hand/day. He drinks with the hand misting. he has always appeared well hydrated
Fecal Description - fecals have been slowing down with decreased PO intake. 1x/week. urates are white, fecals look brown and well formed.
History - was treated for an eye infection 2-3 weeks ago
Current Problem - bilateral lower extremity paralysis

I took Urlich to the vet 2-3 weeks ago bc he was unable to close his right eye when I misted him. He was found to have an eye infection, and given neopolybac to treat. Eye cleared up well, and Urlich was acting normally.

Yesterday, I noticed Urlich climbing slowly. He ate 2 supers for me. When I came by the cage later, he was in one of the plant pots at the bottom of his enclosure. He, at that point, stopped using his back legs as he climbed. His legs and tail turned dusky. I got him into the vet in the next hour.

She took x-rays, and determined that the infection had made it to his spine, weakened the bones, and he fractured when he fell. She asked me to put him in a small enclosure with very little to climb on to discourage activity. she prescribed Rimadyl (NSAID) and calcionate 2x/day, and fortaz (antibiotic) q 72 hours.

My concerns are:

feeding:
He hasnt pooped much in the past week, and the vet said he had fecal evident on his x-ray. Im concerned about feeding him if he's not pooping. How do I get him to poop without handling him (bc of the fracture). I bought fish oil, but lost the link that said how much to give. (If his paralysis is caused by bowel impaction, and not a fracture then treating the impaction will help.)

hydration: With few branches and leaves to soak, and trying to limit motion, his options for water are limited. should I supplement water with his meds 2x/day. if so, how much? He weighs 107 grams.

The vet wants to see us back in 3 weeks. She didnt sound overly optimistic. I am responsible for this guy, and as long as he seems to have quality of life without pain, I will do my best to sustain him. Please dont tell me to put him down. I will make that decision if I have to. Right now, I am interested in life sustaining advice. I work in a hospital where people are sick, on ventilators and face the decision of whether to remove life sustaining measures daily, so I am fairly realistic about when it is time to let go. I want to give him some time before I pull the plug.

Many thanks,
Terri

Attachments

• poor urlich.jpg
    poor urlich.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 290
  • poor urlich 2.jpg
    poor urlich 2.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 312
...She took x-rays, and determined that the infection had made it to his spine, weakened the bones, and he fractured when he fell. She asked me to put him in a small enclosure with very little to climb on to discourage activity. she prescribed Rimadyl (NSAID) and calcionate 2x/day, and fortaz (antibiotic) q 72 hours.

My concerns are:

feeding:
He hasnt pooped much in the past week, and the vet said he had fecal evident on his x-ray. Im concerned about feeding him if he's not pooping. How do I get him to poop without handling him (bc of the fracture). I bought fish oil, but lost the link that said how much to give. (If his paralysis is caused by bowel impaction, and not a fracture then treating the impaction will help.)

hydration: With few branches and leaves to soak, and trying to limit motion, his options for water are limited. should I supplement water with his meds 2x/day. if so, how much? He weighs 107 grams.

The vet wants to see us back in 3 weeks. She didnt sound overly optimistic. I am responsible for this guy, and as long as he seems to have quality of life without pain, I will do my best to sustain him. ...I am fairly realistic about when it is time to let go. I want to give him some time before I pull the plug...
Howdy Terri,

I have a similar situation with my ~7yr-old Veiled. It was never completely clear why his back legs became ~90% paralyzed over night. At the time, the Vet thought that it might have even been a stroke. Neither of us thought that he had much time left. My plan was that if he clearly showed signs of sliding downhill then I'd have the vet put him down. That was 10 months ago. His back legs are unchanged. He eats (hand-fed), drinks, poops, and moves around in his limited space. He lives in a horizontal plane now. His outdoors enclosure is made-up of a plant with lots of horizontally placed vines that he basically holds onto with his front feet leaving his rear feet free to do whatever they do. His indoor enclosure is somewhat of a hammock-shaped area of plastic coated 1/2"x1/2" mesh on top of his large plants. I sometimes move him below to a nest of horizontal vines and branches when he's ready to go to bed for the night.

I think I've only heard of Fortaz being injectable so I guess you have a course of injections to give him. The calcionate and Rimadyl could either be injected into a feeder or added to ~1ml of water and given orally with a needle-less syringe. If you are still worried about impaction, sometimes 1-2ml of 50/50 generic Pedialyte and water once or twice in a day will get things moving by the next day or so. If he isn't eating a lot then it may normally take a week or more to poop. Who knows what-all may be paralyzed down there :(. I think the next week will tell if he is going to do well or not.

I think I've only heard of Fortaz being injectable so I guess you have a course of injections to give him. The calcionate and Rimadyl could either be injected into a feeder or added to ~1ml of water and given orally with a needle-less syringe. If you are still worried about impaction, sometimes 1-2ml of 50/50 generic Pedialyte and water once or twice in a day will get things moving by the next day or so. If he isn't eating a lot then it may normally take a week or more to poop. Who knows what-all may be paralyzed down there :(. I think the next week will tell if he is going to do well or not.

THanks, Dave. Yeah, the Fortaz is via injection. Today is my first attempt at it. THe other 2 meds are PO 2x/day. Im giving him pear baby food, and a 20 min warm shower each day, but still no poop. 2 big sperm plugs, but no poop. Im keeping an eye out for impaction incase the vet was mistaken-he's a stubby tail, and his anatomy may be funky. Either way, his coloring has improved, and he has good grasp in his feet, he's just not moving his legs much. He doesnt seem too bothered by his new circumstances. He hates that I am touching him more, but otherwise, he seems no different. do you have a pic of your cham's hammock? incase it comes to that?

Other than pears and warm baths, anyone have an idea of how to get him to poop? I have fish oil, but not cod liver oil.

oh, when my husband had him at the vet, Urlich jumped out of the vets hands into my husbands, and calmed. So there may be something to our chams knowing who we are...

T

...do you have a pic of your cham's hammock? incase it comes to that?..
Howdy Terrie,

I don't have any photos of the hammock :eek:. I'm not that fond of it either. I've been meaning to "tune it up" some too. Basically, it is a large piece of the Home Depot 1/2"x1/2" plastic-coated screen/fence material that I laid out on top of the plants in his enclosure. It has some horizontal as well as some angled parts to it so he can not only be horizontal (parallel to the bottom) but he can also be at about a 45 degree angle with his head pointed up somewhat while basking. I've often thought that a weaving of vines would be better and more natural for him. I guess I've just procrastinated over what to do too long :(.

update

Hind legs are moving better, but still pretty uncoordinated. Coloring is better.

No poo for 2 weeks despite daily warm showers for 20 min, ambient temps of ~80 degrees, fish oil, pears, and lots of pleading. I have gotten him to eat 2 hornworms this week by sticking their little feet to his upper lip. He gets pissed and swallows them.

Do I sit tight and figure the poo will come, or is there anything else I can do? Vet hasnt called back yet--I just called this am.

Any ideas, or di I just need to chill?

Terri

Hind legs are moving better, but still pretty uncoordinated. Coloring is better.

No poo for 2 weeks despite daily warm showers for 20 min, ambient temps of ~80 degrees, fish oil, pears, and lots of pleading. I have gotten him to eat 2 hornworms this week by sticking their little feet to his upper lip. He gets pissed and swallows them.

Do I sit tight and figure the poo will come, or is there anything else I can do? Vet hasnt called back yet--I just called this am.

Any ideas, or di I just need to chill?

Terri

My male panther went almost 30 days without pooping and yeah I was very worried and tried the warm shower and all. I limited his food intake so he didn't overeat. Not that would eat much anyway. Finally he pooped and it was 2 pieces about 3" long each. Gladly to say his urates were pure white and all is fine now. I wouldn't worry too much, their metabolism does slow way done in winter. Good Luck!

My chameleon is also having poo problems. :(

How do you give them fish oil and how much? Do you coat the food or use a syringe and inject it into their throat?

I think he is a bit dehydrated too so I'm going to give him a warm shower...

So frustrating, I just wanna see him poop! Good luck, I hope all turns out well.

update

Urlich has a little motion in his hind legs now. I have him in his baby cage, tuned sideways, so it is 24" long by 12" tall with some vines to climb on. He is being misted, and his temps are a little higher bc that was the advice for a sick cham. I have been forcing his mouth open and feeding him hornworms, which is great. I'm going to look for silkies to suppliment.
He is a sick looking dude. His right eye is closed all the time. His left one is closed sometimes. He is going through a shed, which just seems like terrible timing.
He's on baytril and calcium daily. He drinks when he's misted, even if both eyes are closed. I havent been able to get a fecal done bc he poops inconsistently, and they want the sample there within an hour of the deed.

Should I start him on flagyl and the other parasite med just in case that is the cause?

Fish oil would not be my choice..it has quite a bit of D3 and vitamin A in it. I would think mineral oil would be safer. However too much mineral oil can deplete electrolytes in humans....maybe it would do it to a chameleon too? Prolonged use of it may deplete the intestines of the fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K, as well as decrease the absorption of the valuable minerals calcium and phosphorus from what I've read too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom