my new panther is a jumper!

zinc99

Man this little guy cant sit still. Hes only 3 months old and when I tried to take him out to move him outside for a bit he kept jumping put of my hands! I have never had a cham do that. My vield never did he just hissed and stayed on my hand. I guess he is staying in his cage till hes older and easier to hold on to.

Panthers are known to "Leap", as insane as it seems. There are other species that will curl up, blow their bodies up with air and drop to the ground if they cannot get to where they are trying to by reaching.

I have had a couple of my young ones be "leapers." Just one or two. All of them have settled down after getting used their surroundings and have learned to trust the handler. Give him some time to get to know you and feel comfortable with you. He will settle down. Oh, and make sure when you try to handle him, that you are not holding him too high, should he attempt to leap again :) .

Wait another month and your Panther will calm down, trust you more, and be content just sitting on your hand, shoulder, head..etc. He's still so, so young.
My Panther was the same way. When he was just a baby, he would try and run away from my hand whenever I tried taking him out of his cage. Gradually, as he got a little older and bigger(Around 4 1/2 months), he got used to the handling and knew that I wouldn't hurt him when I took him out of his cage. He is now 1 year old and is such a docile boy. He is so tame that I can hand-feed him all his insects. Be patient....He just needs to be a little bit older and he will learn to sit very contently on your hand in a few more months!

Christine

I just worry that he will jump and hurt himself. Today I was cleaning and he jumped and fell like 2 feet. He just sat there for a second then hid in his plant for an hour.

my veiled about 2 months also...he moves really fast on my hands and enjoys handling once a week or so..hasnt hissed at me yet...he did fall on the floor once, he was ok though. just dont drop him and step on him..that happed to my friends'. sad isnt it?

I still cant get this guy to hold still. I want to sun him but he just will not hold still for anything. I cant get him more then 6 in out of his carge before he tries to bolt. I tried this morning to hold him, he fell and started to hiss so I put him right back. He ran up to the top of his cage and just sat there. Man, will this ever stop? I worry about him hurting himself.

zinc99 said:
I still cant get this guy to hold still. I want to sun him but he just will not hold still for anything. I cant get him more then 6 in out of his carge before he tries to bolt. I tried this morning to hold him, he fell and started to hiss so I put him right back. He ran up to the top of his cage and just sat there. Man, will this ever stop? I worry about him hurting himself.

When My Cham Was Young I Found The Best Time To Hold Him Was At Nite A Few Minutes After I Turned The Lights Out. He Would Just Squeeze Onto My Finger And Stay There. I Think I Earned Some Trust Points This Way.

Well I have had him for a while now and he is still a jumper... He wont stay still he jumps out of my hands and runs away on the carpet. He is never aggraessive and only hisses when he is really pissed from falling after he jumps. I can put my hand in to feed and clean and he just watchs never moving heven if hes right next to my hand. I guess thats the way its going to be with this one.

My nosey be male i have right now is like that. I just keep feeding him a new hand to run onto. When i take any of mine outside for real sunlight i take the whole cage so i can leave them unattended and not worry that a bird or cat got to them.

zinc99 said:
I just worry that he will jump and hurt himself. Today I was cleaning and he jumped and fell like 2 feet. He just sat there for a second then hid in his plant for an hour.

haha, i dont mean to sound rude by laughing.. but its that last sentence that made me laugh.. i also heard from my "chameleon dealer" that when they are young, theyre practically made of rubber.. now as for this theory.. im not going to test it.. ill assume its not true. and as for my new male veiled. hes a jumper too, i was holding him and he turned towards his cage and tried to leap about 4 feet into it.. luckily i was holding him over my bed, so he had a cushiony landing :p

Mine doesn't jump he just gets really fat and inflated and starts to hiss and his head humps at me trying to bite my hands. He also changes colors and gets these little black dots all over him lol

Back
Top Bottom