My Jackson’s is outside, overcast day but close to 90 degrees

Lindasjackson

Chameleon Enthusiast
I wanted him to get some good uvb since I only have a compact uvb light, waiting for proper uvb light to come in. How long should I leave him outside? He has plenty of silk plants to hide in if he gets too hot. I misted him really well about an hour ago. I haven’t seen him drink yet because he’s very shy around me. He ate two wax worms today and one mealworm. I don’t know how old he is so I will add a picture. If anyone can give me an estimated age I would appreciate it Along with how often I should feed him and how much. Thanks in advance. I’m not sure where I should be posting my questions so if I’m doing it wrong just let me know.

Attachments

• A931E641-AF33-4A13-ADE3-8932CE391474.jpeg
    A931E641-AF33-4A13-ADE3-8932CE391474.jpeg
    323.6 KB · Views: 62
I wanted him to get some good uvb since I only have a compact uvb light, waiting for proper uvb light to come in. How long should I leave him outside? He has plenty of silk plants to hide in if he gets too hot. I misted him really well about an hour ago. I haven’t seen him drink yet because he’s very shy around me. He ate two wax worms today and one mealworm. I don’t know how old he is so I will add a picture. If anyone can give me an estimated age I would appreciate it Along with how often I should feed him and how much. Thanks in advance. I’m not sure where I should be posting my questions so if I’m doing it wrong just let me know.
Is he in direct sun or in shade? 90 is hot for a Jacksons... Heck even for a Panther or Veiled that is hot. But if it is direct sun they can dehydrate fast and have issues to the point of death. 90 in shade equals about 110 easy in full sun. If he is gaping with his mouth open it is too hot.

He’s not gaping but seems to be enjoying it. The temp gauge near the top of the cage reads 84.6. Sorry, not 90 it’s really overcast so he’s not in the shade he’s in the direct sun but no sun showing, get what I mean?
ok just wanted to make sure... Direct sun can be very dangerous.

He should be fine. Add a dripper on the top so he can drink if he wants. Watch the temp as well. Let him stay out for a few hours at most and make sure to keep an eye on him. They still get UVB even in shade and cloud cover.

They tend to seek more sun and heat than they need. It's rather precious where they come from. He will get some UVB even when it is overcast. If it's sunny and warm out then he should be in mostly shade with some dapples of sunlight. He will find them easily. Live plants will also offer him better protection than silk as they stay cooler as they transpire.

Thanks, I’m going to look for a plant today. I’ve searched the forum and have written down the names of a few that are recommended. I’m also going to find veggies and things to make my own feeder insect gut load that I read about here as well. I’ve ordered my mist king and made a drip system but I’m also going to look for a little dropper. Oh and I also ordered the govee temp/hygrometer.

Back
Top Bottom