My female don't eat after laied

DNA

My female Veiled ate very well during pregnancy. Why she eat nothing after laied?

What should I do now? thanks

How long has it been since she laid eggs?
Have you seen her drinking water?

After laying eggs, there are a variety of things that could go wrong with the female.

She will be very depleted of nutrients due to those nutrients being used to form the eggs. One common problem is calcium deficiency. I had a female cham who developed an acute calcium deficiency after laying an infertile clutch of eggs. That led to her tongue not working properly (it went limp when she shot it out). That made it very difficult for her to eat.
It took two weeks of liquid calcium supplementation to sort that problem out.

Also, if there are eggs left inside of her that never got laid, that may well be the reason for her not resuming eating. If these eggs don't get expelled properly, that could lead to egg-binding in the female and possibly even death. It's very difficult to determine whether there are any eggs left inside a female (even on x-rays, the soft egg shell is often undetectable), so sometimes as a precaution a vet may prescribe oxytocin after a female has laid eggs to induce her to lay any leftover eggs.

If she doesn't resume eating fairly shortly, you probably would need to seek the help of a vet.

Hi Tygerr

Thank you very very very much.

It has been one week since she laid eggs.
I have never seen her drinking water from mist. She used to drink from the nozzle. She went to drink when she have just covered eggs up.

Which liquid calcium supplementation did you use for?
calcium gluconate for human?
calcium powder is dissolved by water?

Can I use oxytocin that for human? How many can I inject oxytocin into her?

Thank you again

I'm afraid I can't help you with the dosages. A vet would be the best to help with that. If you can't get to one where you are, perhaps send a PM to Matthew Wheelock or someone else on here with that kind of knowledge.

I do know that the calcium supplement was calcium gluconate, but it wasn't one for humans: it's a product that is formulated for bird supplementation. There are two kinds: one that is simply calcium gluconate, and one that has additional vit. D3 added. For any treatment that will continue for more than a few days, I think the one without D3 would be better to prevent an overdose of D3.

After one week I would expect her to be eating well again. If you can, it really would be best to get her checked out by a vet.

I have used a calcium sandoz liquid that is for humans and it worked well. You can also use a calcium gluconate. I don't know if there is any difference in what is in the human ones or in the one for the birds. From what I have read, liquid calcium is more easily used in the system than the powders.

Oxytocin is used for chameleons but I don't know if its the exactly the same one that is used for humans or not....and I don't know the dosage. It also will only work within a certain time range to do with when the eggs should have been laid from what I have heard.

Thanks for the both friends.

The Veiled ate 2 crickets yesterday. Does it direct that the Veiled get better now ?

Back
Top Bottom