My dog attacked my cham ! !

Jeremy l

I might have a dead cham soon, but i pray that he is ok. i was in the kitchen doing some dishes and i left my panther inhis ivy in the living room and my dog got him out and had him in her mouth when i came around the corner to see what the rif raf was about. i kicked my dog in the hip so she would drop him and she ran off and he looked lifeless his eyes were sunk in and his color was very pale. i dont think he was death shook but i dont know. nothing seems broken his color is coming back and his eyes are back out but he seems very shaken up. i also might have a dog with a broken hip. i hope not i didnt mean to kick her that hard but i was in a panic for my cham. i feel so horrible this has never happened :(

i hope everything comes out ok. this would be one instance i would urge you to consult a vet for x-rays to check for fractures/ organ trauma.

not to get off topic but a cat knocked over my love birds a few years ago one flew away the other was in the cats mouth in a panic i booted the cat and killed it then the bird flew away so imagine how i felt both birds were gone and one of my neighbors cats was dead i really dont like cats but i dont want to see harm come to them anyway i buried the cat never told anybody cause i felt so bad i have since moved thats why im letting the cat out of the bag no pun intended

i looked at daisy ( my dog ) she looks ok i think she is ok shes not limping now i think she was because of shock and im sure it did hurt at first. my cham is looking better all his color is back and his eyes are back out. he is walking around and has use of all his extrimities. i will take him to the vet tomarrow morning. he does have what looks like some brusing on his front and back leg but no actual puncture marks or bleeding. i felt on all his legs and down his spine and all feels good nothing feels broken. he dosent mind me feeling on him so i dont think hes in much pain if any. i think if something was hurt he would let me know.

I hope both the chameleon and the dog will be alright in the end.
I hope this serves as a warning to those who let their chameleons out when other animals are around - no matter how well behaved a dog or cat is, it is their natural instinct to play with / hunt smaller creatures. Just seeing a cat or dog in the visinity is stressfull to chameleons - keep them separated!

not to get off topic but a cat knocked over my love birds a few years ago one flew away the other was in the cats mouth in a panic i booted the cat and killed it then the bird flew away so imagine how i felt both birds were gone and one of my neighbors cats was dead i really dont like cats but i dont want to see harm come to them anyway i buried the cat never told anybody cause i felt so bad i have since moved thats why im letting the cat out of the bag no pun intended

I know you didn't mean this to be funny, and I'm ashamed to say my husband and I both roared when we read this. It's horrible, really. A very sad story. And I'm so sorry for your loss. Maybe it's like getting the giggles at a funeral...we just couldn't help ourselves. I picture you standing there, looking into the sky, with a dead cat at your feet. What a story.

But now we really are off topic.

Jeremy- glad to hear your dog and cham appear to be OK.

I agree with Sandrachameleon- our veiled cham Guido cannot stand the sight of our dog, even if the cham is at the window, and the dog is outside in the yard. But others have said their chams don't mind the other household pets.

Now why would you tell him that?...if the dog did damage they wont do surgery on a cham.

He didn't specify what animal should be taken to the vet, but in this case, it really doesn't matter. A vet would fix up a dog with fractures or organ trauma and a herp vet would do what he could to help an injured herp.

Maybe they won't do surgery on chameleons in Michigan.

This thread is unbelievable.
I have warned people numerous times about not trusting animals like cats and dogs with chameleons or other small pets.
There are people who no longer participate on the forums who got so mad at me, and tried to explain to me how the animals in their house all understood that each was part of the family.

I love our dog and I love our cats.
I would never put them in a situation where the temptation was that great.

Try explaining to your chameleon how this special little cricket is part of the family ...

-Brad

i agree with you brad, i wouldn't give that dog no slack, not the slightest bit of rope to hang himself.

an animal is still an animal, dogs and predators when it comes down to it.

Maybe they won't do surgery on chameleons in Michigan.

This thread is unbelievable.
I have warned people numerous times about not trusting animals like cats and dogs with chameleons or other small pets.
There are people who no longer participate on the forums who got so mad at me, and tried to explain to me how the animals in their house all understood that each was part of the family.

I love our dog and I love our cats.
I would never put them in a situation where the temptation was that great.

Try explaining to your chameleon how this special little cricket is part of the family ...

-Brad

LOL that made me laugh!!

Something tells me your lovebirds weren't at your neighbors house, which means the cat was where it wasn't supposed to be. this may sound bad, but he had it coming(ok, ok, the cat was just being a cat, but your neighbor deserved it for not keeping the cat where that wouldn't happen).

Dude :D cats walk around everywhereXD, The cat was just being a predator.
Actually house smaller are more predatorious than the other types of felines like lions!!
Oh yeah it would be like you walking down the road and you found twenty bucks, you would go for it lol

i just wanted to add my 2 cents about being able to see organ damage with an xray, they cant. they can see adema or fluid in the lungs and broken bones but even with humans you cant tell organ damage with xrays alone, you need cat scan and even with cat scan you really need oral and iv contrast and this is with humans which are just a tiny bit bigger then chameleons. i could only imagine asking a radiologist to tell me if he thought such a small animal had organ damage on an xray.
ps i do xray, cat scan, and mri for a living

i see alot of people had posted since last night. good news is my panther made it through the night and is moving about his cage. my dog is good too she is afraid of me, and i feel bad because i over reacted and hurt her. i should have never booted her. i have never done that to a dog or any of my pets, but i paniced when i saw my cham in her mouth. i now will never let my chams out without letting the dogs outside first. i had too much trust in my dogs and it now may have cost me my cham. i have good hopes though that he is looking to pull through. i did some research and one of a chams defensive moves is to sink theirt eyes in and play dead. and i think he did exactly that. when i picked him up he barly cracked his eye i think to see what had him again. when he saw it was me both his eyes opened but he was still in major shock. i sprayed him off with warm water and wraped him up in a towl and heald on to him until he started moving around.

Back
Top Bottom