My Chameleons Just Say No to Silkworms!

wst0209a

I'm very disappointed of my chameleons. THey won't pay any attention to the silkworms. I got my hopes all up from you guys talking about them and they ate one each and thats it. How much UVB gets through a reptarium? I got one for outside and just want to know if a lot will get through. The mesh seems like it would block a lot. Also, if I used a 10.0 uvb light for indoors with those cages, how much will they get?

DrewNYC

for the most part i think screen and mesh block about 50% of the UVB rays, so using a zoo med 10.0 which says it will reach 20" into the cage, i would expect it to reach 10"
drew

Julirs

I use Reptariums with Zoomed 10.0 and it works fine. Someone used a UV meter on one to make sure it was OK. As for the Silkworms-it took my Veiled 2 weeks to eat them. I ordered 50 the first time and they outgrew my cham so I gave them away, but once he ate one he was hooked-so keep trying. I am now breeding silkworms and trying to get my Oustalet to try them.

wst0209a

My silkworms keep on dying? Every time I go to look at them I pick one more out that was all green looking and them are real mushy. Any thoughts?

Julirs

The number one rule with silkies is that they have to be clean and dry. You also have to have the right food. I use the dry and it needs to be kept in the fridge, but it will keep for a month. I keep mine in critter keepers, and feed them every other day. Once a week I dump the worms and the poop on a papertowel, and then put fresh food and then the worms back in. I have had no die offs yet (fingers crossed).

wst0209a

Well then I must be doing something wrong. I bought the food drom the lady and spread it out throughout the plastic bin they are in. I also raised the temperature from 68F to 75F. The food is a little damp from yesterday but that is the only moisture in the place.

Julirs

Did you over the whole bottom with food? Usually I just grate the food over the worms and they crawl up and eat it within 4 hours or so. If they are sitting on a bunch of moist food that might be the problem.

wst0209a

there is a good bit of food on the bottom but they have enough space just to be on the plastic. The food was a little wet before I put it in there. I didn't know that it would be bad for them. Most of it is drying now that I have the light on it.

Julirs

After you microwave the food you put it immediately in the fridge and it turns into a solid. Not super dry, but not wet, just moist and crumbly. Sometimes you can get a bad batch of worms. Always wash your hands before doing anything with them, and once you take a worm out-never put it back-bacteria spreads like crazy through a worm colony.

wst0209a

The food.... I bought it from the lady, it was in a small little dixxie cup, it is like a dark gray, when I took it out it was very moist but now is pretty dry, I shaved it up into pieces and threw it in there. Was I supposed to microwave it? I thought that was only for the powder?

Top Bottom