my chameleon wont open his eye and he keeps rubbing it on a branch

giaindell

i just recieved my chameleon in the mail he looked fine at first then when i put him in the tank and after i put my other chameleon in i saw that his eye was bulging and moving and as i was staring at him he started to rub his eye on a branch im worried!

Your Cham may be dehydrated, a female I received had the same issue initially both eyes were closed and she was cold from the extended trip. Put her in a warm shower to mister her, got some pedialyte from from the drugstore with a dropper (ask the pharmacist for one). and let her drink a bit of that as well as water. I also rinsed her left eye which seem to have something in it. I flushed it out and put Terramycin which is an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment to help fight eye infections. (as a pre-caution) and no she is fine. I did a search on eye problems in the forums and found a lot of information that was able to help out.

Cheers,
Mark

Hmm

i just recieved my chameleon in the mail he looked fine at first then when i put him in the tank and after i put my other chameleon in i saw that his eye was bulging and moving and as i was staring at him he started to rub his eye on a branch im worried!

Dont know if i read this wrong but are u housing two chameleons together? If so, it would be best to house them separately.

okay.

First try misting with some warm water , not hot.

second, there is a sticky'd thread in the health clinic front page with a list of things to fill out when asking for help.

to begin helping you more , so we can attempt to pinpoint the problem, please go back and fill that out.

also tank or cage? what are you housing them in and how old are both chams?

Not sure what is causing the eye issue, but did you not quarantine the two chameleons before putting them together??

Dont know if i read this wrong but are u housing two chameleons together? If so, it would be best to house them separately.

i have two bearded pygmy chameleons one male and one female and you are allowed to keep one male and even 3 females in one tank together. i only have one male and one female

also tank or cage? what are you housing them in and how old are both chams?

its a glass terrarium and its 16x16x18 and they are wild caught but not fully grown the male is smaller then the female im not sure if thats cause of the age but female pygmys are known for being larger then the males

Your Cham may be dehydrated, a female I received had the same issue initially both eyes were closed and she was cold from the extended trip. Put her in a warm shower to mister her, got some pedialyte from from the drugstore with a dropper (ask the pharmacist for one). and let her drink a bit of that as well as water. I also rinsed her left eye which seem to have something in it. I flushed it out and put Terramycin which is an ophthalmic antibiotic ointment to help fight eye infections. (as a pre-caution) and no she is fine. I did a search on eye problems in the forums and found a lot of information that was able to help out.

Cheers,
Mark

the misting with warm water worked thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom